Who Am I? Week #535

kingchuck69

Joker! Joker! Joker!
Oct 11, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
chuck69.com
Songs that sampled Amen, Brother by the Winston’s????

Congrats, HecticArt!

The four artists mentioned this week all sampled the infamous "Amen Break" from "Amen, Brother" by The Winstons, recorded in 1969. The "Amen Break" was the drum solo in the song, performed by drummer Gregory C. Coleman:

Starting in the mid-80s, rappers, rockers and other musicians started using the Amen Break for their recordings. It's been sped up, slowed down and either way, nobody from The Winstons made money off it. Coleman died homeless in 2006 and lead singer and saxophonist Richard Lewis Spencer - who owns the copyright - has showed his displeasure regarding musicians making millions off of their recording while he doesn't receive any royalties.

The clues this week were:

David Bowie - "Little Wonder"

Slipknot - "Pulse of the Maggots"

Snow - "Informer"

And last, but not least: N.W.A. - "Straight Outta Compton"

New game next week!

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Congrats, HecticArt!

The four artists mentioned this week all sampled the infamous "Amen Break" from "Amen, Brother" by The Winstons, recorded in 1969. The "Amen Break" was the drum solo in the song, performed by drummer Gregory C. Coleman:

Starting in the mid-80s, rappers, rockers and other musicians started using the Amen Break for their recordings. It's been sped up, slowed down and either way, nobody from The Winstons made money off it. Coleman died homeless in 2006 and lead singer and saxophonist Richard Lewis Spencer - who owns the copyright - has showed his displeasure regarding musicians making millions off of their recording while he doesn't receive any royalties.

The clues this week were:

David Bowie - "Little Wonder"

Slipknot - "Pulse of the Maggots"

Snow - "Informer"

And last, but not least: N.W.A. - "Straight Outta Compton"

New game next week!

Thanks King!

Like I always say, if you give me 50 clues, I'm unstoppable!

That was a tough one. The Slipknot had me going the way off in the wrong direction.
Good game!

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Out of the 4000 and whatever times that the break has been sampled and used in commercial recordings, it's a crying shame that the original artist hasn't gotten any money from it.