Who's Getting a new MBP Tomorrow?

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Nope. Got the old one a week ago. Next one I get will probably be an iMac which should be refreshed by then.
Posted via Mobile Device

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
Not I - just got the MBA at work. Though I've had 2 MacBooks/MBPs as home systems, I am pretty sure that my next purchase for home will be a 27" iMac :)

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
Nope. Got the old one a week ago. Next one I get will probably be an iMac which should be refreshed by then.
Posted via Mobile Device

Since you are under 14 days, I believe that you can return yours and get a new one.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Since you are under 14 days, I believe that you can return yours and get a new one.

Yes, but I would have to pay the difference between the old and new model, which I couldn't do. Besides, I kinda like this one, and I'm not one to have the latest, greatest thing. I'm still on the 3GS, and I don't have an iPad yet.

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
Yes, but I would have to pay the difference between the old and new model, which I couldn't do. Besides, I kinda like this one, and I'm not one to have the latest, greatest thing. I'm still on the 3GS, and I don't have an iPad yet.

The prices will be the same.

Andrew8468

Plans on freezing in the dark
Oct 26, 2008
Canada, eh?
This is on the Apple Canada website
mbp_subhead20110224.png

mbp_hero20110224.png

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008

heh - this doesn't tempt you? ;)

State-of-the-art Intel processors.
The 15- and 17-inch MacBook Pro now feature quad-core Intel Core i7 processors. And the 13-inch models jump to dual-core Intel Core i5 and i7 processors. That means all three models are up to twice as fast.

Thunderbolt. The next generation of I/O.
New Thunderbolt technology lets you connect high-performance peripherals and high-resolution displays to a single port — with data transfer rates up to 10 Gbps.

The store is still down, so pricing not available yet - but yeah, generally they will be the same, or very very close. Still holding out for that iMac, too :)

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
I'm going with my wife to check out laptops. We're giving her old netbook to our neice. I like the idea of a Macbook pro, but I just can't see paying that much for a computer when I can get a Windows machine with better specs for less. I've been reading up on the Macbooks and checking out youtube reviews. Very nice machines I must say, but again it's the price.

Some of you Mac guys have to help me out here.... why no HDMI? You have to get an adapter. That kinda ruins their "It just works idea". Plus it seems like they will never get Blu Ray either.

Now the IMac on the other hand. Wow wow wow.... thats a nice setup. My brother in law has the 27 inch and I am really impressed. That is probably going to be my next desktop. Does anyone know when they will get a refresh? Thanks in advance.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
I'm going with my wife to check out laptops. We're giving her old netbook to our neice. I like the idea of a Macbook pro, but I just can't see paying that much for a computer when I can get a Windows machine with better specs for less. I've been reading up on the Macbooks and checking out youtube reviews. Very nice machines I must say, but again it's the price.

Some of you Mac guys have to help me out here.... why no HDMI? You have to get an adapter. That kinda ruins their "It just works idea". Plus it seems like they will never get Blu Ray either.

Now the IMac on the other hand. Wow wow wow.... thats a nice setup. My brother in law has the 27 inch and I am really impressed. That is probably going to be my next desktop. Does anyone know when they will get a refresh? Thanks in advance.

Hey, it just works - with an adapter ;) They want you to buy Apple TV if you are hooking up to your TV. I'm pretty sure that the reason Apple loves dongles/adpaters is based on aesthetics. Some of those ports look gaudy to Steve, so he says "buy a dongle" if you want it to connect to something else.

Steve called Blu-ray a "bag of hurt" because of all of the licensing nonsense, and I wouldn't expect it to make it into any Macs until market penetration reaches some critical mass. Most consumers are voting with their wallets that plain DVD is good enough, or at least that Blu-ray isn't worth the premium. I think that the lowering of prices in the past year or so has helped Blu-ray somewhat, it's still not quite selling like plain ol' DVD yet. In a few years, who knows? Steve has been known to change his mind.

As for the 27" iMac, it is a beautiful system. Awesome to work with, and amazing to look at. This site can help you maybe decide what to do and when to buy.
Mac Buyer's Guide: Know When to Buy Your Mac, iPod or iPhone

It's not always about the specs. I won't argue the point, because things always turn ugly. All I'm saying is that I spend a lot of time behind my computers, and I find that I don't want to shoot myself in the face when I sit behind a Mac like I do when I sit behind something running Windows or Linux. Others feel differently, so cool. It's just not for me.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
Hey, it just works - with an adapter ;) They want you to buy Apple TV if you are hooking up to your TV. I'm pretty sure that the reason Apple loves dongles/adpaters is based on aesthetics. Some of those ports look gaudy to Steve, so he says "buy a dongle" if you want it to connect to something else.

Steve called Blu-ray a "bag of hurt" because of all of the licensing nonsense, and I wouldn't expect it to make it into any Macs until market penetration reaches some critical mass. Most consumers are voting with their wallets that plain DVD is good enough, or at least that Blu-ray isn't worth the premium. I think that the lowering of prices in the past year or so has helped Blu-ray somewhat, it's still not quite selling like plain ol' DVD yet. In a few years, who knows? Steve has been known to change his mind.

As for the 27" iMac, it is a beautiful system. Awesome to work with, and amazing to look at. This site can help you maybe decide what to do and when to buy.
Mac Buyer's Guide: Know When to Buy Your Mac, iPod or iPhone

It's not always about the specs. I won't argue the point, because things always turn ugly. All I'm saying is that I spend a lot of time behind my computers, and I find that I don't want to shoot myself in the face when I sit behind a Mac like I do when I sit behind something running Windows or Linux. Others feel differently, so cool. It's just not for me.

Thank you for all the info and the link. I still have some investigating to do.

I think your right about Blu-ray. If I didn't have a PS3 I would still be all over DVD. I really like just ripping them now for my PS3 media center.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I don't think BR movie player adoption rate matters when it comes to deciding if a computer should support BR. BR offers 5x greater density than DVD for backups, so support it.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
I don't think BR movie player adoption rate matters when it comes to deciding if a computer should support BR. BR offers 5x greater density than DVD for backups, so support it.

Or don't. Most people don't back make backups.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
BR burners are about $70 more than DVD burners. That covers all of the licensing nonsense. That's a pretty small hurt bag.

Guess it takes a bag to know a bag...

And edit to say that Steve doesn't think so, and that's all that matters until you become iCEO.

Oh, and another edit to say that Steve doesn't really say you can't have one, just that he's not giving it to you.
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/blu-ray
http://www.mcetech.com/

Blu-ray til your heart gives out! Or until the next format war happens.

Last edited:

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
After thinking about it I doubt Apple would not put a Blu-ray player in their computers because of sales. From what I gather from all my friends that have Macs this thunderbolt port is a first for Apple. Their adding this port without any inhouse or 3rd party peripherals on the market. So I doubt the reason for no Blu-ray is actual Blu-ray sales.

I'm thinking someone pissed Mr Jobs off and he just decided no Blu-ray for Macs. I can't think of another valid reason. Still checking them out though. Nice computers!