Why Do They Continue To Sell "new" Sirius Radios?

lgeorgehsv

Dec 5, 2016
If they still plan to stop the Sirius stream by 2022 why do they keep on producing these radios? They have not introduced a new model since 2007

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
If they still plan to stop the Sirius stream by 2022 why do they keep on producing these radios? They have not introduced a new model since 2007

There might be language in the merger that says SiriusXM must make both services available while both are operational.

Just a guess

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Are they actually making new ones or are these just in inventory? If in inventory they are trying to clear them rather than take the loss on them. The fact somebody will be screwed 5 years down the road is the furthest thing from their mind --- they don't care.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
2022 is a long way off in the life of a satellite radio.

The number of models will reduce and the quantity produced will taper down at some point.

I'd be curious to see the stats on the numbers or radios produced over the years.

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
it seems to be a very small number, and mostly baseline radios or remade/overstock stuff using the same thing just so theres something on the shelf, maybe. I haven't bought a radio since the lynx, and havent owned one in like 3 years. It's been online only for me on the app. I miss having a radio in my living room.

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
I'm going to use this thread to discuss the 2022 timeline. I found a Yahoo article from 2016 with this paragraph:
SiriusXM's Federal Communications Commission (FCC) licenses for its Sirius satellites expire in 2017 and 2022 while XM satellites expire in 2018, 2021 and 2022. The company believes that absent significant misconduct on its part, the FCC will renew the corresponding licenses. Terrestrial repeaters' FCC license are set to expire in 2027.

I spoke with Richard at TSS Radio this afternoon and he had something very interesting to say about receivers. He's heard of talk about a new portable radio. I don't think the RIAA will allow one with the love button, but I don't think they will rehash the Lynx either. I would like to see saved radio replay options and an ability to listen to mp3/4 content via a SD card.

I wonder what Sound Exchange Inc. and the Copyright Royalty Board will say now that Sirius owns Pandora who use to pay less SE and the CRB wanted.

IndustrialH

"Not dead... just resting"
I think that's a loss-leader / break even kind of a deal to get people to subscribe.
went into small print ... it's only for current subscribers ... I am on the Select at $C5.00 ... (since I am not driving at the moment and there is zero sport to follow.) Mind you I miss PAC 12 radio on 373 :)
It's the first promo email I have received since I moved my subs in December.

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
I got the 5 buck 6 month deal on a dead radio. My mom's got this new 8 dollar deal for online only. Can't remember how long the term is for. I wouldn't rock any of the latest sirius players and boomboxes. My inno still rocks in the house and the boombox still rocks too. Although the repeater tower in my town seems dead. I called them and they said there was no record of it. ehhhh

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I got the 5 buck 6 month deal on a dead radio. My mom's got this new 8 dollar deal for online only. Can't remember how long the term is for. I wouldn't rock any of the latest sirius players and boomboxes. My inno still rocks in the house and the boombox still rocks too. Although the repeater tower in my town seems dead. I called them and they said there was no record of it. ehhhh
I've been noticing more dead spots in Toronto too. I think they are taking some repeaters offline.

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
Totally. If I sit at my door step facing due south the repeater sends out a tiny spit of signal off and on. I think it's unfair that people with old radios, or lifetime radios aren't getting good enough support.

IndustrialH

"Not dead... just resting"
No issues in southern BC, either with XM or Sirius terrestrial. . There was only an XM transmission until the old Sirius figure 8 eight satellites were de-commissioned... we are in a river junction and satellite reception is average to poor at best.
I still remember my daughter complaining that her car antenna was shot or need re-locating... made no difference ... then I checked online and found the plug had been pulled.

The main reason I stuck with the Sirius service for ages was that Select includes NFL 88, but XM Select doesn't. When Utopia moved to the 300's I switched to All Access and the Onyx Plus.

Reactions: HecticArt

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
Damn, ya it's solid portably in my attic. But I used to walk around town nearly in my pocket and would pick up strong signals. I'll just rock these old radios until they die out. People go, what is that thing??

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
Sirius Units as far as Aftermarket Units are officially done. They no longer are making anymore Stratus 7s. The price quickly went from about $29.99 on Amazon to about $70 since they stopped selling them. I suspect any decent Sirius Radio will go up in value for a while. Especially to any Howard Stern fans who don't want to pay more to be on the XM/SiriusXM side of the service.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Sirius Units as far as Aftermarket Units are officially done. They no longer are making anymore Stratus 7s. The price quickly went from about $29.99 on Amazon to about $70 since they stopped selling them. I suspect any decent Sirius Radio will go up in value for a while. Especially to any Howard Stern fans who don't want to pay more to be on the XM/SiriusXM side of the service.

I feel like it's been a while since I've read a post from the great "Tizzom Tizzaylor."

Welcome back...or at least to my eyes, if you've been around in hiding somewhere.

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
I feel like it's been a while since I've read a post from the great "Tizzom Tizzaylor."

Welcome back...or at least to my eyes, if you've been around in hiding somewhere.

Taylor is moving his company. He posted the Tour link to the TSS site late last month in the Best Buy 360L thread . I think his life is full of moving parts and posting and his posting time is limited. Neverthe less, it's good to hear from the brick and mortar mainstay for all of our satrad hardware and software needs.