Why is Pandora still so popular?

Discussion in 'MOG, Pandora, Spotify, Rdio' started by roscoryan, Nov 14, 2013.

1. roscoryan

roscoryan DRC Graphics Guru

I'm curious as to the draw Pandora has, and why it remains the top online music service? Is it all marketing, or is the general American public just that apprehensive to broaden their horizons and try something new and different?

Personally I find Slacker and Spotify to be far more satisfying. I'm wondering what the rest of you think...
  2. sjam613

sjam613 Member

Just a guess here but I think for the general population (and not people that talk about it like here) I think it is name recognition.

I love Slacker but I don't know of many people that have heard of it.
  3. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

I've always liked Slacker more than Pandora. Better selection, easier to program, less commercials (free version) and some other things. I never got around to trying Spotify.
    I still listen to SXM most of the time. I've only been listening to Slacker 2 or 3 times a month lately.
  4. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

Slacker, iTunes Radio, Grooveshark are my big 3. Pandora is real repetitive, and comes up with some real WTF choices on the artist-based stations. Of course I also heard Motley Crüe on the Nine Inch Nails station on iTunes Radio so I guess they're all known for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. Aaron

Aaron Moderator

Co-workers know Pandora Radio, but I never hear mention of Slacker. :sad:

I prefer Slacker, and would listen to it more if not for commercials.
    My money still goes to Sirius XM, and now I'm also enjoying iTunes Radio.
  6. hyson

hyson Forum Jerk

I used Slacker for a long time, then tried Pandora only because my Smart TV had a preloaded app on it and I really liked it (maybe because it was new?)

I find the Pandora mobile app simple to use on my Kindle and tv. I don't like the new Slacker website, however. I cannot find the option to update my G1 portable player - I have to revert back to the old website.

Pandora's commercials are less "adult" than Slackers...I was getting sick of Trojan condom commercials while Slacker was playing at outdoor picnics and such.

Then I started using IHeartRadio for a local station for mobile listening... then found Glenn Beck and Sean Hannity had podcasts available.

I don't think we're the correct audience to ask this question. We're radio weirdos who know, and try, all the options just to see.
  7. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

One of the techs in the 'cage' at the Geek Squad listens to Slacker Radio. We also have Grooveshark on quite a bit.