Will you watch tonight?

RDog

Oct 18, 2008
Last nights AGT was great. Also, AGT was #1 in the ratings on Monday night.
One thing I am surprised about is that Howard's "enemies"/rivals or even just columnists looking to be controversial or provoke something don't seem to have criticized him on AGT so far. I thought for sure someone would seize the chance to mock him in the media, and yet, it does not seem to have happened. I feel like he himself must be surprised, too.

Spokker

Jan 15, 2009
I think I'll watch it for Howard's dad and then I'm done. The reason I hate these shows so much is related to why I love radio so much. Radio happens in real-time. Even when you listen to a taped show, it happens as it happens.

With such a heavily edited TV show, it feels like I'm not seeing what really happened. Howard even said that things are edited out of order. It's feels so artificial.

There probably is some good judging going on but it gets chopped to bits, to these pithy, generic one-liners.

I would be fine with editing between acts (setting up and shit, obviously), but I want to see the intro to the act, the 1-90 second act itself (depending on whether or not they buzz), and the judging in real-time, as if it were happening live with no edits, only the camera switching.

RDog

Oct 18, 2008
I think I'll watch it for Howard's dad and then I'm done. The reason I hate these shows so much is related to why I love radio so much. Radio happens in real-time. Even when you listen to a taped show, it happens as it happens.

With such a heavily edited TV show, it feels like I'm not seeing what really happened. Howard even said that things are edited out of order. It's feels so artificial.

There probably is some good judging going on but it gets chopped to bits, to these pithy, generic one-liners.

I would be fine with editing between acts (setting up and shit, obviously), but I want to see the intro to the act, the 1-90 second act itself (depending on whether or not they buzz), and the judging in real-time, as if it were happening live with no edits, only the camera switching.
Even if the editing were pristine, even Howard would have to admit, AGT is low-brow fare. That is not an insult. It's also family fare. It tries to be many things to many people, not particularly bad/great at any one thing. I know people say "it's like The Gong Show" but I can't help but think The Gong Show and Chuck Barris were WAY more avant garde for lack of a better expression.

I am happy NBC is getting ratings out of it and that Howard seems to be succeeding at it, after such a long career he definitely deserves the mainstream acceptance he clearly craved.