Will you watch tonight?

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Howard doing his late night shtick in his late night voice. There is real pressure on him, I suppose, to say something funny every time. I wish I could say something positive but I can't. Sharon's frozen face is scary. And what's with Howie Mandel grinning every second? Howard's hero Simon Cowell was brutally witty without yelling to the audience. Hopefully Howard will emulate his hero as time goes by. I admit I only watched s few acts.

The pressure is on Howard because:

1) NBC is wanting to promote their "new judge" and obviously, there's a ton of people tuning in to see "what he will say" (fans and enemies)

2) His fans want to see him steal the show's thunder.

The trick is to keep this "America's Got Talent" and not "America's Got Howard" or "The Primetime NBC Howard Stern Show".

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
That show was 2 hours long? Christ their squeezing blood from a stone.

Don't quote me, but I think Monday shows will be one hour. Tuesday shows will remain (at least next week) two hours.

However, with all the commercials in there, use the DVR and start watching 25-30 minutes later. And, as George Takei would say: "HOOO-LEE GHEEZ" there's a lot of commercials.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
1hr into AGT and its another mediocre talent show with howard stern as a judge, and an annoying nick cannon as a host.

i now remember why i avoid these shows like the plague. i do have to admit the earth violin or whatever it was called was very cool and original. but seriously, they put through that awful rapper and that father daughter dual that is on youtube. :screwy:

i can"t believe how popular this is

I weep for our future. People sit through hours of this crap.

Survivor was one of the first "unscripted series" of the modern era. We all know why these shows were started (better than summer repeats and a lot more affordable to produce). It's amazing that Survivor is still on the air.

As for the talent/singing shows...I'd imagine people tune in because they're family-friendly, and they allow for fan interaction via voting. It's not just "sit back and watch", but "sit back, watch, then take part."

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
So how do I watch this shit show if I don't have cable and cannot get reception. Will they be putting this on Hulu or something? Do people pirate America's Got Talent?

I haven't checked but most of this stuff they put on their network websites.

There's really no reason to pirate stuff that's on NBC.com and Hulu.com, even though I'm sure people still do.

As long as you can get NBC, you're good to go.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Is this really a reality show? The article calls it one but to me it is a talent show not a reality show. If it followed the lives of the competitors then I'd call it a reality-based talent show.

"Reality TV" is just a dumping ground for everything that isn't scripted. The people who thought up such a term should be banned from TV.

"Unscripted series" or "unscripted TV" is a much more accurate term.

robhurlburt

Oct 15, 2008
Survivor was one of the first "unscripted series" of the modern era. We all know why these shows were started (better than summer repeats and a lot more affordable to produce). It's amazing that Survivor is still on the air.

pretty sure "the real world" on MTV was the actual first one, and what started the genre. i am probably wrong though

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
pretty sure "the real world" on MTV was the actual first one, and what started the genre. i am probably wrong though

You might be right. Survivor certainly took it more "mainstream" and out of the HS/college-age demographic.

Gheez, I remember when Howard and Robin would talk about Survivor. Someone brought it up a couple years ago and Howard said he stopped watching.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Say what you want to about the plastic surgery, but he actually looks better now than he used to:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xij1cfhyj48]baba booey apology video - YouTube[/ame]

RDog

Oct 18, 2008
My DVR didn't record it and I can't seem to find the premiere for download. Ah well, I'm sure Youtube clips are out there.

I saw about 10 mins. of the 2nd night - and I thought it was *awful*. Howard wasn't terrible or even bad, though. But he says "obvious" things: "I'm discovering San Francisco has unique talent."; or "I thought you'd have a heart attack up there." These seem kind of generic, but, hey, it's only the 2nd night.

In all fairness to the show, what I saw was a cross-dresser in some sort of showgirl outfit, followed by old guys jumping over each other, and a guy playing a flute that was also a broom. This is not really my cup of tea. :)

Mostly, I think what I found so bad, was the editing - it seemed so random! A quick flash of Sharon clapping, a quick flash of Howie grinning, a quick glance of the "talent" a quick glance of the audience (and the clip they'd often show of the audience was clearly not a simultaneous shot of what was on stage at the time), lotta shots of Howard, lotta shows of Nick, etc. Again, it's only night 2 so I'm sure in Howard's case anyway, he's trying to figure out how to sit, where to look, what to say, etc.

I used to be a longtime So You Think You Can Dance fan, and there is just something about the AGT editing that looked so subpar, compared to SYTYCD or even DWTS or other "talent showcase"-type shows. I was really surprised by that.

Oh, related to the editing - A LOT of the sound seemed to drown out what the judges would say. There were quite a few occasions in the lone 10 minutes I saw where Howard would start speaking and the end of his sentence would be completely awash in all the other noise going on. Really seemed amateurish from a technical point of view. Not Howard's fault, but certainly NBC could do a better job. It's almost like they cheaped out.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
My DVR didn't record it and I can't seem to find the premiere for download. Ah well, I'm sure Youtube clips are out there.

I saw about 10 mins. of the 2nd night - and I thought it was *awful*. Howard wasn't terrible or even bad, though. But he says "obvious" things: "I'm discovering San Francisco has unique talent."; or "I thought you'd have a heart attack up there." These seem kind of generic, but, hey, it's only the 2nd night.

In all fairness to the show, what I saw was a cross-dresser in some sort of showgirl outfit, followed by old guys jumping over each other, and a guy playing a flute that was also a broom. This is not really my cup of tea. :)

Mostly, I think what I found so bad, was the editing - it seemed so random! A quick flash of Sharon clapping, a quick flash of Howie grinning, a quick glance of the "talent" a quick glance of the audience (and the clip they'd often show of the audience was clearly not a simultaneous shot of what was on stage at the time), lotta shots of Howard, lotta shows of Nick, etc. Again, it's only night 2 so I'm sure in Howard's case anyway, he's trying to figure out how to sit, where to look, what to say, etc.

I used to be a longtime So You Think You Can Dance fan, and there is just something about the AGT editing that looked so subpar, compared to SYTYCD or even DWTS or other "talent showcase"-type shows. I was really surprised by that.

Oh, related to the editing - A LOT of the sound seemed to drown out what the judges would say. There were quite a few occasions in the lone 10 minutes I saw where Howard would start speaking and the end of his sentence would be completely awash in all the other noise going on. Really seemed amateurish from a technical point of view. Not Howard's fault, but certainly NBC could do a better job. It's almost like they cheaped out.

On today's show, Howard said that everything was edited all out of order. The acts weren't in order, and some of the judging and/or audience might have been for acts that the TV audience never saw.

Obviously, it's one of those "due to space and time constraints, certain portions of the program may have been edited. However, any editing does not affect the final outcome of the show" or whatever. If an act went through to Las Vegas, we saw it.

Whoever relies on a torrent to view a broadcast show is overthinking it. This took me all of 30 seconds:
http://www.nbc.com/americas-got-talent/video/http://www.nbc.com/americas-got-talent/video/week-1-night-2/1401827

RDog

Oct 18, 2008
On today's show, Howard said that everything was edited all out of order. The acts weren't in order, and some of the judging and/or audience might have been for acts that the TV audience never saw.

Obviously, it's one of those "due to space and time constraints, certain portions of the program may have been edited. However, any editing does not affect the final outcome of the show" or whatever. If an act went through to Las Vegas, we saw it.

Whoever relies on a torrent to view a broadcast show is overthinking it. This took me all of 30 seconds:
America's Got Talent - All Videos : Newest - Videos - NBC.comhttp://www.nbc.com/americas-got-talent/video/week-1-night-2/1401827

Thanks - I don't think it's viewable to me in Toronto, though - but you're right about the overthinking, nonetheless. :) I did manage to find a copy of the show and will watch it in full on the weekend.

Makes sense that they'd have to edit the show, it just seems like A LOT of editing occurred, and I think that may have affected the general flow/feel, for me, anyway. But it's still early, maybe the Vegas shows will have a completely different feel. I think that is entirely possible.

Biaviian

Nov 17, 2008
If some of the judges comments are not for the acts that we saw then why have the judges watch the acts at all? Why have an audience and live judges?

I watched the first day and thought it was great. I tried watching the 2nd and only made it 10-15 minutes. I won't be watching until the NY show. I will only watch that because I want to see his father on stage.

So it worked in that Howard got me to watch the first day but it didn't entertain me enough to keep me watching. If he continues to use the radio show to "wrap-up" the TV show then I can see many people watching just so they know what he is talking about the next morning.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Today's open started with Howard talking about "Good morning New York... I can feel that New York has talent.."

It featured video of people turning on their radios.

Howard can't be happy about the video portion.

Spokker

Jan 15, 2009
That's the problem with this show. The editing is awful. It feels more like a clip show and not a real show. Cut out all the intros and background story bullshit, and just show the acts and the judging uncut.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
That's the problem with this show. The editing is awful. It feels more like a clip show and not a real show. Cut out all the intros and background story bullshit, and just show the acts and the judging uncut.

I didn't watch it pre-Howard, but did they edit that way on the recorded shows in previous seasons? I noticed the edits when I was watching the first one and wondered if they edited it like that on purpose to make people remember that it's all recap. Not my cup of tea either way though.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Neigh

Oct 16, 2008
New Jersey

And, for my money, keep the judging straight..meaning minimum shtick, no thudding punch lines such as "You better keep your day job" yelled out at top volume. All of the judges on AI, DWTS and SYTYCD do some shtick ( the crying after a 2 minute dance on SYTYCD is shameless) but it is usually within the context of serious (and often bad) criticism. But Howard and Sharon and Howie seem to look at each other after each act and throw out "funny" lines. It's as much about the judges as the acts. Sort of like the Gong Show.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
The guy who took the shots to the nuts... He stripped down to his underwear and got some blurring action, but was allowed to say the word "nuts" several times over?

I can totally see why Howard got out of terrestrial radio, especially knowing that Tom would be pounding away on that delay button if Howard mentioned that act on 92.3 KROCK.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Today's show got off to a huge start. Howard brought his dad up on stage. Ben told a guy "Don't be stupid, you moron." Howard did some quick parental impressions. Howard then asked the guy if anyone up on stage looked like a man, it would be the kid.

My thought on that was based on Howard's high school years, the HS kid probably has a bigger schlonger than Howard has right now.

This ventriloquist kinda reminds me of Crazy Cabbie.

Last edited: