Windows on a Mac

Andrew8468

Plans on freezing in the dark
Oct 26, 2008
Canada, eh?
No but it can be done. Either use the Boot Camp program that is installed on Intel based Macs or you can buy a program called Parallels.

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
I use VMWare Fusion. It works great. I use it for xp and windows 7.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
I do it for work - haven't had a need to at home in a long time. I also use VMWare Fusion.

VirtualBox is free (at the moment) and works fairly well, too.

I've only used Parallels sparingly, but it seems to have added advertisements and other annoying notifications recently. You can turn them off, but Parallels is being jerky about how to do it, so users have started spreading the solution in forums and on Twitter.
Parallels take: "We use in-product notifications to share several types of information with our customers. First, and most importantly, we share information about product updates which are generally related to compatibility with OS X, new features and product enhancements. Second, we occasionally share special offers from Parallels or other third party companies who provide special deals for our customers. Many of our customers rely on the information about product updates and appreciate the special deals for products that are of interest to them.

Individual notifications can be turned off by clicking the “don’t show this again†button. However, because customers need to receive important product information, there is not a mechanism for customers to completely disable notifications.

Thank you for sharing your opinion. At times, Parallels staff may remove or edit posts that contain product code information which changes the general nature of the product, as it may affect the overall performance of the software."

Most users take on it: I paid for a product and you are still showing me ads? That's crappy. I agree.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I run Windows 7 with Parallels 7 for Mac. It is the fastest virtualization software I've ever used. Booting into Windows and using Windows works fantastically.

These days I do very little within Windows, but when needed its there waiting.

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
Fusion 5 just came out a few days ago.

Time to upgrade.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

Manco

Oct 14, 2008
Fusion with Windows 7 on a Macbook pro and it runs great. I do have 8GB of RAM, Quad core CPU, and SSD drive though, so it's a top flight Mac.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Parallels just released version 8. This thing boots much faster into Windows.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Manco

Oct 14, 2008
Parallels just released version 8. This thing boots much faster into Windows.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Have you tried Windows 8 yet with Parallels yet?

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
I did update to Fusion 5.0. I like it so far.

Using Win 8 (I have the final version from Tech Net) is weird though. It is meant for a touch screen. I find it frustrating at times to go where I want. I still need to play around more.