Wow. How god damn lazy is the tapes team? Mammary Lane repeat 8-24-09

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Me too. And also the last week or so at K-Rock. I'd like to hear all the ideas that were discussed amongst the crew that were about to be unleashed on their now-paying fans. The shows from their homes, the odd-hours shows, the road trips (including the cross-country Sirius promotion). All those great "notebook" ideas, and ideas the primate was told to write down to be used at "eh eh eh."

Out of all the promises, how many came to see the light of day? - 0.0. Hell, after Howard's first balloon bonus and the stock pump and dump, the show has been at best in neutural - and coasting downhill (sort of like the SIRI stock pattern) :)

Whoever gave Howard the $1000 pen he wrote the ideas with must have filled it with dissappearing ink first. Cruel trick to play on the carnival barker.

They did do a show from their homes. As Howard said, if he's going to work, he might as well go in. (I think a lot of people would agree as to their own jobs.) It's the same reason why they don't do the Vegas trips...they're out of their element with limited sound effects, etc. Moving offices to the opposite coast would suck for anyone.

As for the road trip, you could write a book on ideas Howard has. Even last week, he mentioned doing a movie about the Taliban. I guess that's ANOTHER "not gonna happen."

How many times did he threaten to quit? You could probably find tape from pre-1995 about him quitting... I think Master Tape Theatre actually played such a time.

Stuff Howard says? Don't take it seriously. If it happens, cool. If not, he's on a tangent/rant anyway.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Secondly, ask yourselves the question, "WHY are they not programming other material and replaying old stuff?" There has to be a reason. I'm guessing they'll eventually make available all of the tapes for purchase or something... I figure HS isn't a dumb guy and has some sort of money making scheme planned for those tapes.

There ya go, right there.

People would buy the shows. Given that logic, plus the fact that the tapes team is about 4 or 5 people, it shouldn't be a surprise.

Yes, Howard mentioned 23,000 hours of tapes, but he did mention how they'd be used? All he said was "we got the tapes." You know what happens when you ass-u-me things, right? ;)

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
Some people could apply "lost verve and energy...embarrasing to Howard" from the 80's into the 90's, the 90's into now, etc. There were a lot of people who couldn't hear the 2004/2005 stuff because of all the fears brought on by the FCC. I bet we'll hear that stuff when History of Howard mentions it.

We also probably won't hear a lot of shows from 2001-2002 era because of his post-9/11 opinion of Bush. He did mention how hearing those tapes made him queasy.

From the 80's into the 90's his show was gaining some major momentum, from market to market and state to state, energy was far from lacking.

Honestly, if back in 1992 or thereabouts, if you played me a show from today, especially and most pointedly the news segment, I would say, "WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED TO HIM!!!??".

There is a difference.

Maybe they will play the 2005 stuff, but I can't imagine the powers that be not wielding the editors knife in a big, big way.

If the fans that didn't get a chance to hear Howard really want to know what his show was like, don't bother so much with the Master Tape stuff on Sirius, try and make friends with someone at SFN, someone that has boatloads of shows from old cassette tapes. The shows might not be complete, but it won't be because they were judiciously edited for content, it will be because the poor schmuck had to go to work and could only tape whatever was broadcast before the cassette ran out of tape. Maybe someone over there could post some shows, who knows?

In any case, I'm going to see this last year through. Though I can't see renewing for more years of this "evolved" radio.

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
We're all getting older, he's burned most of his bridges, done the guerrilla radio thing, smashed and bashed his way to the top. Where to go from here? I have some clips from a friend who was in the military, it's like best of stuff, which I am compiling myself these days. It all gives me more background to bits I could never hear since he wasn't in my market for a long time, but I wouldn't say him storming Rosie O'Donnell's building to ask her about her K-Mart ad spots is better than the Cloris Leachman interview he did earlier this year, well no, it's not, it's a different type of radio for a different time, but not better because he was more energized to conquer his profession.

Die_LaMattres

Oct 13, 2008
There ya go, right there.

People would buy the shows. Given that logic, plus the fact that the tapes team is about 4 or 5 people, it shouldn't be a surprise.

Yes, Howard mentioned 23,000 hours of tapes, but he did mention how they'd be used? All he said was "we got the tapes." You know what happens when you ass-u-me things, right? ;)

I agree with both of you. Howard will most likely sell the "full shows" as an attraction once he leaves for good. Remember, man can never have too many marbles....or chimneys. Well, his type of man, anyway.

Did anyone listen today? I heard about an hour total - most of it the Pete Rose interview and the ripping on Camille Grammer's IBS problem. That was great radio! Howard seemed like he was on speed, Billy was doing his Marge Schott impression, and Jackie was there chiming in. It all seemed so natural and flowing, even the Marge Schott jokes (which would never fly today despite the FCCs absence). Talking about Kelsey Grammer's wife the way they did would also never occur these days - god forbid she should show at the next Hamptons outing this Thursday.....the trotter wouldn't be able to get a photo op with her if they were on the outs.

The truth is Howard was not on speed. It's just that the present shows are on half speed - on the good days - when they are there. It's like two different radio shows, and today's version is downright pathetic.

To sell his shell of a show as a "Revolution" is a joke, and will tarnish his legacy the way Brett Farve is doing to his by staying on past his prime.......again. The difference is at least Brett tries. Howard is just one greedy MF.

wwfmike

Oct 13, 2008
Santa Rosa, NM
They really fell flat on the tapes. I would love to hear Howard's classic bits rotated instead of the constant barrage of Richard and Sal (not that I don't like them) prank calls at every single break. I would love to hear some I love lucys, etc. I think they played one I love Lucy one time yet they play that stupid Larry Fine at Woodstock over and over. Have we even heard a Beaver Break? How about a full special of the best of bob and ray or the best of gina man and gina girl.

The Tapes labor day weekend was a great idea and was an amazing special but that was the only one they ever did (aired 2006, reaired the following year I think).

Honestly, if back in 1992 or thereabouts, if you played me a show from today, especially and most pointedly the news segment, I would say, "WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED TO HIM!!!??".

I really think the therapy is what turned the show into what it is. I think that's what made him stop doing just about ANY racial humor, he freaks out at the thought of the 'N Word' being said. The only that really annoys me is when he constantly analyzes every guest like they are in a therapy session.

someone that has boatloads of shows from old cassette tapes.

I'm so glad I have a huge archive going back to the 80's.

To sell his shell of a show as a "Revolution" is a joke

I remember the enthusiasm of the latter part of 2005 and the huge revolution of radio. I knew it wouldn't live up to the hype but I never expected it to die halfway through 2006.

I'm not one of the constant complainers who hates the show but listens every day. I love the show and I listen to every minute of every show (except I change the channel for chuck zito, dice clay and farrell). It just saddens me that there is so much potential for the channels to be great and yet we hear the same material over and over just in a different order.

no1hedberg

Oct 13, 2008
West Virginia
I agree with both of you. Howard will most likely sell the "full shows" as an attraction once he leaves for good. Remember, man can never have too many marbles....or chimneys. Well, his type of man, anyway.

To sell his shell of a show as a "Revolution" is a joke, and will tarnish his legacy the way Brett Farve is doing to his by staying on past his prime.......again. The difference is at least Brett tries. Howard is just one greedy MF.

I know I'm gonna regret quoting DLM, but I disagree. Howard has been pretty selective about pushing merch on his audience.

As far as his legacy goes, it will probably be tied to the success or failure of satellite radio. Not your opinion of the show. People always change (even eventually you) with time. You want pissed off Howie, always bitching and saying bad shit about people all the time. What does the guy have to be pissed about? He doesn't have radio execs or the FCC on his ass about everything he says. Whether you think so or not, he has a hot wife he goes home to every night, who he's happy with. He's been successful, and is now enjoying that success. He earned his vacation, and he's earned his pay. You sound like a jilted ex-wife going on constantly. If you don't like the show any more, you have to get on with your life.

Reactions: hyson

mrpacs

Oct 11, 2008
Connecticut
I loved hearig the Ed Torian/Pam Anderson Lie Detector segment again. One of my fav's. Artie: Have you ever called a, (N-word), a Jew?"

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I remember the enthusiasm of the latter part of 2005 and the huge revolution of radio. I knew it wouldn't live up to the hype but I never expected it to die halfway through 2006.

I think part of it depends on someone's viewpoint of the "revolution."

Was the revolution Howard broadcasting the way he wanted to? For the most part, he's doing that. Rapping Granny on the Sybian, the "Fuck Clear Channel" rant, the replays all day long. You'd never get this stuff on FM.

OR

Was the revolution more? Getting the general public away from FM radio and into Pandora, Slacker, Sirius XM, internet music, etc. ... This revolution is just starting.

Reactions: Snoozer

Die_LaMattres

Oct 13, 2008
I know I'm gonna regret quoting DLM, but I disagree. Howard has been pretty selective about pushing merch on his audience.

As far as his legacy goes, it will probably be tied to the success or failure of satellite radio. Not your opinion of the show. People always change (even eventually you) with time. You want pissed off Howie, always bitching and saying bad shit about people all the time. What does the guy have to be pissed about? He doesn't have radio execs or the FCC on his ass about everything he says. Whether you think so or not, he has a hot wife he goes home to every night, who he's happy with. He's been successful, and is now enjoying that success. He earned his vacation, and he's earned his pay. You sound like a jilted ex-wife going on constantly. If you don't like the show any more, you have to get on with your life.

Well, so far the "success" of satellite radio is that it is a bankrupt monopoly.

My opinion of the show is just that - my opinion. Some disagree with me and some don't. No big deal. I do believe there are a lot more fans dissapointed with the show then ever before. Again, just my opinion.

If Howard wanted to enjoy his success, as you put it - that would be fine. He should have promoted the jump to Sirius as a watered down, semi-retirement type of Stern show where no feelings would be hurt, no effort would be put into production, etc. That's not exactly what he meant when he aggressively promoted "eh eh eh" at K-Rock. Last of a dying breed. He sure is, but probably not the way he expected.

Jilted ex-wife? :jj: Nah, it's just a once great radio show that no longer exists.

Neigh

Oct 16, 2008
New Jersey
Caught the Deon Sanders bit just before 6AM... Heard it many times before but still nearly woke up my wife laughing out loud....First, Deon Sander is hilarious, Second, the quips and Deon impersonations from Howard and the gang are wonderful Then at 6 they did the Gary lets the wedding photographer show his wedding videom with Howard in it at some wedding photographer show bit.... I love the way it starts out casually but builds up steam as Gary resists and then ultimately caves in amid three Gary impersonations...

Last edited:

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
That's the World Wrestling Federation logo. The World Wildlife Federation logo is a panda, if I'm not mistaken.

I have my avatars turned off so I don't see any of 'em.

I look at this site at work and everyone has some crazy shit all over, including their avatars - draws too much attention to me.

wwfmike

Oct 13, 2008
Santa Rosa, NM
That's the World Wrestling Federation logo. The World Wildlife Federation logo is a panda, if I'm not mistaken.

That's correct. I've been using wwfmike or wwfmichael since about 1998 so it's my online persona. My reasoning for never changing to WWE is that WWE is garbage and will never be what the WWF was.

Die_LaMattres

Oct 13, 2008
That's correct. I've been using wwfmike or wwfmichael since about 1998 so it's my online persona. My reasoning for never changing to WWE is that WWE is garbage and will never be what the WWF was.

Mike, Mike, Mike.......you need to let go of the past, bro. Just because the WWE has evolved, that's no reason to complain about it.

A former radio producer summed it up best: "It is what it is" this wise man said. Words to live by, Mike. Words to live by.

JoeTan

Oct 14, 2008
I don't know about you fools but Gilbert with the gabba goo and today with beetle and gary the retard and high pitch eric were CLASSICS!!!

GOd dam that's some funny stuff.