WTD 2009 Week 34 - The Woodstock Channel (August 14-16)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
SIRIUS Satellite Radio - Your Favorite Classic Rock Songs

The Woodstock Channel, celebrating the 40th anniversary of the Woodstock Music & Art Fair held at Max Yasgur’s farm in Bethel, New York in 1969, will launch Friday, August 14 at 12:00 pm ET and air through Sunday August 16. The channel will be devoted to the historic music festival featuring music, interviews and memories from the artists who were there, including Graham Nash, Leslie West, Arlo Guthrie, members of The Band, members of Creedence Clearwater Revival and Joe Cocker. SIRIUS XM listeners will hear music from artists in the exact order that they performed at the festival each day—beginning with Richie Havens and ending with Jimi Hendrix.

The Woodstock Channel will also feature complete performances from Santana, Janis Joplin, Sly & The Family Stone, Johnny Winter and Jefferson Airplane as they happened at the original 1969 festival. These five performances are featured on the new Woodstock Experience CDs, available now from Legacy Recordings. During the limited-run channel, listeners will hear content from Woodstock – 40 Years On: Back To Yasgur’s Farm , the new 6-CD boxed set to be released on August 11 by Rhino Entertainment, featuring the most comprehensive collection of artists that performed at the original festival, showcasing 38 previously unreleased recordings, including Grateful Dead, The Who, Country Joe & The Fish and others.

On Sirius 16, XM 40

* Please indicate how much you like this channel by assigning it a rating. Simply use the thread rating system found at the top of the thread and give it a vote. :)

BlobServer

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
So what are they doing playing Jimi now?

Other than deciding to play Jimi on Sunday night instead of Monday morning, it seems like a good channel.

I also just noticed that they've gone with Woodstock Channel on Deep Tracks online instead of Limited Engagements. Interesting.

Sirius Rich

Oct 11, 2008
Houston
I have been listening to the Woodstock Channel. I cannot thank Sirius enough for producing the channel. Tears have come to my eyes. You youngsters would not understand. I did not attend Woodstock, but was here two weeks later:

It was Labor Day weekend, 1969, two weeks after Woodstock, and thousands of hippies and lovers of peace and music converged on the small town of Lewisville, just north of Dallas, at the Texas Pop Festival to be and to see and to hear the music of B.B.King, Canned Heat, Chicago, Delaney & Bonnie & Friends, Freddie King, Grand Funk Railroad, Herbie Mann, Incredible String Band, James Cotton Blues Band, Janis Joplin, Johnny Winter, Led Zeppelin, Nazz, The Quarry, Rotary Connection,Sam&Dave, Santana, Shiva's Headband, Sly & the Family Stone, Space Opera, Spirit, Sweetwater, Ten Years After and Tony Joe White!

I am recording all this weekend I can, good stuff.

Sirius Rich

Oct 11, 2008
Houston
I'm really digging this channel. Just some really great songs. What struck me listening last night was how out of place Sha Na Na seemed.

I can understand that comment on Sha Na Na. I saw them live and they reminded me of the Father Knows Best and Leave It To Beaver days. Woodstock on the other hand where the children from those days experiencing their newly found freedom of expression.

Jimi Hendrix at Woodstock blew me away and I just moved the DVD in Blu-Ray to the top of my NetFlix que.

The Butler

Oct 14, 2008
Canton-Massillon, Ohio
From the Friday USA Today:

Fees paid to bands that played the Woodstock Music & Art Fair in 1969, from organizer Michael Lang's book The Road to Woodstock:

Jimi Hendrix: $32,000
The Band: $15,000
Janis Joplin: $15,000
Canned Heat: $12,500
Joan Baez: $10,000
Creedence Clearwater Revival: $10,000
Crosby, Stills & Nash: $10,000
Jefferson Airplane: $10,000
Grateful Dead $7,500
Richie Havens: $6,000
Arlo Guthrie: $5,000
Incredible String Band: $4,500
Ravi Shankar: $4,500
Tim Hardin: $2,000
Santana: $1,500

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
(I rated this channel 4 of 5 stars)

It is interesting reading the bands that declined:

Declined invitations

* The Doors were considered as a potential performing band, but canceled at the last moment; the cancellation was most likely due to Jim Morrison's known and vocal distaste for performing in large outdoor venues.[23] Doors drummer John Densmore attended, however, and in the film, he can be seen on the side of the stage during Joe Cocker's set.

* Led Zeppelin was asked to perform, their manager Peter Grant stating: "We were asked to do Woodstock and Atlantic were very keen, and so was our US promoter, Frank Barsalona. I said no because at Woodstock we'd have just been another band on the bill". Instead the group went on with their hugely successful summer tour, playing that weekend south of the festival at the Asbury Park Convention Hall in New Jersey. Their only time out taken was to attend Elvis Presley's show at the International Hotel in Las Vegas, on August 12.[24]

* Jethro Tull declined to perform. Ian Anderson is reported to have later said he "didn't want to spend [his] weekend in a field of unwashed hippies".[25] Another theory proposes that the band felt the event would be "too big a deal" and might kill their career before it started.[25]. However, other artists from the time have expressed the view that, before the festival, there was little indication of the importance the event would eventually come to assume. Although Jethro Tull did not perform, their music was played over the public address system. In the film, during the interview with the promoters (where they are discussing how much money they will be losing on the venture), the songs "Beggar's Farm" and "Serenade to a Cuckoo", from the album This Was, can be heard in the background. Jethro Tull did perform at the Isle of Wight Festival in 1970.

* The Byrds were invited, but chose not to participate, not figuring Woodstock to be any different from all the other music festivals that summer. In addition, there were concerns about money. As bassist John York remembers: "We were flying to a gig and Roger [McGuinn] came up to us and said that a guy was putting on a festival in upstate New York. But at that point they weren't paying all of the bands. He asked us if we wanted to do it and we said, 'No'. We had no idea what it was going to be. We were burned out and tired of the festival scene. [...] So all of us said, 'No, we want a rest' and missed the best festival of all.'"[26]

* Tommy James and the Shondells declined an invitation. Lead singer Tommy James stated later: "We could have just kicked ourselves. We were in Hawaii, and my secretary called and said, 'Yeah, listen, there's this pig farmer in upstate New York that wants you to play in his field.' That's how it was put to me. So we passed, and we realized what we'd missed a couple of days later."[27]

* Bob Dylan was in negotiations to play, but pulled out when his son became ill. He also was unhappy about the number of hippies piling up outside his house near the originally planned site.[28] He would go on to perform at the Isle of Wight Festival two weeks later.

* Mind Garage declined because they thought it would not be a big deal and had a higher paying gig elsewhere.[29]

* The Moody Blues were included on the original Wallkill poster as performers, but decided to back out after being booked in Paris the same weekend.[30]

* Spirit also declined an invitation to play, as they already had shows planned and wanted to play those instead, not knowing how big Woodstock would be. [31]

* Joni Mitchell was originally slated to perform, but canceled at the urging of her manager to avoid missing a scheduled appearance on The Dick Cavett Show.[32]

* It's A Beautiful Day cancelled at the last minute.

Woodstock Festival - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
"We are stardust
We are golden
We are billion-year-old carbon
And we've got to get ourselves
Back to the garden..."

I wasn't yet born at the time of the Woodstock Festival, but as evidenced by my avatar, I've always been fascinated by the culture and music of the day. This channel hasn't disappointed. I've enjoyed most of what I've heard these past few days, though not every single song. I especially like the sets from Hendrix, The Who, and from Creedence Clearwater Revival. It was also good to hear from Country Joe & The Fish... they don't get a lot of play on radio anymore. The interviews between songs were also cool.

Shameless plug: Anyone interested in continuing to hear this music... feel free to check out my "Songs of Woodstock" channel on Slacker.
Slacker Personal Radio - Listen to Free Internet Radio Stations

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
I have been listening to the Woodstock Channel. I cannot thank Sirius enough for producing the channel. Tears have come to my eyes. You youngsters would not understand. I did not attend Woodstock, but was here two weeks later:

It was Labor Day weekend, 1969, two weeks after Woodstock, and thousands of hippies and lovers of peace and music converged on the small town of Lewisville, just north of Dallas, at the Texas Pop Festival to be and to see and to hear the music of B.B.King, Canned Heat, Chicago, Delaney & Bonnie & Friends, Freddie King, Grand Funk Railroad, Herbie Mann, Incredible String Band, James Cotton Blues Band, Janis Joplin, Johnny Winter, Led Zeppelin, Nazz, The Quarry, Rotary Connection,Sam&Dave, Santana, Shiva's Headband, Sly & the Family Stone, Space Opera, Spirit, Sweetwater, Ten Years After and Tony Joe White!

That must have been an incredible time for you. All those bands plus LED ZEPPELIN!! :bigthumbup:
Tell us more!

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
CCR is now playing GREEN RIVER.

A quote from them regarding the show.

— John Fogerty regarding Creedence Clearwater Revival's 3AM start time at Woodstock.

"We were ready to rock out and we waited and waited and finally it was our turn... ...there were a half million people asleep. These people were out. It was sort of like a painting of a Dante scene, just bodies from hell, all intertwined and asleep, covered with mud.

And this is the moment I will never forget as long as I live: a quarter mile away in the darkness, on the other edge of this bowl, there was some guy flicking his Bic, and in the night I hear, "Don't worry about it John. We're with you." I played the rest of the show for that guy."

deedee

Oct 16, 2008
New York, New York
I have to say being such an advent fan of the "Bridge" It had to be something special to make me change the channel......

Well all I have to say is that I found myself so taken in with all of the great music and conversations that was added to this format it was just wonderful

I was so very lucky as a very young girl all of my summers were spent upstate in the town of Bethel with ALL of my family so I really have great memories of that "magical time"

Once again "Thank You" so much for putting it up so fast.......

Tomorrow I plan to email Sirius/XM and "Thank" them also for the great job they did :bigclap::bigclap:

Thank You again "Aaron"..................

Last edited:

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
It doesn't get any better than Hendrix at Woodstock. Aaron had a thread in another forum about where you could go if you had access to a time machine...I'd have to put Hendrix's set on the list.

It's just too bad most of the crowd had already left and didn't get to see it. For those who did stick around, it must have really been something to wake up at 8 am or whatever it was to hear Jimi plug in.

I wasn't able to listen to much of the Woodstock Channel this weekend, but everything I did hear was fantastic. I agree with some of the earlier posts, they should have made this special longer than just the weekend. Should have been a week-long event at least.

5/5 stars.

Sirius Rich

Oct 11, 2008
Houston
That must have been an incredible time for you. All those bands plus LED ZEPPELIN!! :bigthumbup:
Tell us more!

I just turned 18 and graduated HS. I went with a couple buddies not knowing what I was getting into. I really liked Janis Joplin, Johnny Winter, Grand Funk, B.B. King, Sly, and Santana. I also remember a lot of people paying $5 for a Diamond match box with no matches in them. If you think about it, there were some pretty darn good performers at this festival. It should not have been wasted on an 18 year old, :lolsign:

I did record about 12 hours of the Woodstock Channel this weekend and may go back with Garage Band and rearrange a few performances. I have to put Jimi and Janis at the beginning or at least right after Richie Havens. I'm listening to Hendrix right now, feeling pretty good about things.

There is a website still up Texas International Pop Festival - Home Page

Artists_Poster.png

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
I recorded about 7 hours of programing from this. It was great to listen and I'm happy I can listen again when the mood hits :)

All the songs were fantastic! I don't think I'll ever buy the music on CD so this will have to do. I hope they do this again next year, or maybe a few time a year :D

I give it 5 out of 5 Stars! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.