WTF is going on in the world?

blyons200

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
We are not about to send American boys 9 or 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Ukrainian boys ought to be doing for themselves.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Unfortunately, we've sent our troops all kinds of places that could have been handled by the locals. Hopefully with whatever happens over there, they don't do something that causes us to send troops.

blyons200

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
Unfortunately, we've sent our troops all kinds of places that could have been handled by the locals. Hopefully with whatever happens over there, they don't do something that causes us to send troops.

I've really turned into an anti-war isolationist over the past few years. It would have to be something like the holocaust level and us being attacked for me to support invading anyone these days, and not a terrorist attack, an attack sponsored by a country with solid proof

Btw that was an LBJ quote but I replaced Asian with Ukrainian. Ironically didn't Vietnam escalate enormously under him?

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Well, no one can predict the future (Okay, I can, but I'm not telling.), but we've spent nearly 70 years avoiding a war with the reds and I don't see us changing course now. Someone on CNN last night was saying how Eisenhower didn't do anything when the Soviets rolled into Hungary, and Johnson didn't do anything when they rolled into Yugoslavia, and Carter didn't do anything when they rolled into Afghanistan, and Bush didn't do anything when they rolled into Georgia, and Obama won't do anything now.

It's not our M.O. Just like they don't do anything when we invade Iraq or Afghanistan...or Vietnam, or Korea, or Grenada, or Panama. We cede the small countries to avoid a fight amongst the big ones.

We actually have an upper hand now because the reds are now capitalists and sanctions actually hurt them. The ruble tumbled yesterday. The rely on Europe and Europe, with summer approaching, can tell them to f*ck themselves, we don't need your gas and oil for another six months. Meanwhile, the Saudis, and the Venezuelans (our new allies) can crank up production and all is good.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
We actually have an upper hand now because the reds are now capitalists and sanctions actually hurt them. The ruble tumbled yesterday. The rely on Europe and Europe, with summer approaching, can tell them to f*ck themselves, we don't need your gas and oil for another six months. Meanwhile, the Saudis, and the Venezuelans (our new allies) can crank up production and all is good.

Russia may dump the dollar. Then we'd be hurting.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I'm just sick to death of our military playing world police for every two-bit third world country who can't or won't defend themselves.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
Some countries can't help themselves. We helped so many women and children in Afghanistan and Iraq. We kept so many people from dying. Yes we lost a lot of good men. I lost my brothers and my ability to walk and yea it sucks but we saved so many peoples lives. I would do it again in a heart beat.

I'm tired of some things too but that is what you get when you sign up. It's not just a good way to pay for college or see the world. You might have to actually have to fight. We didn't always agree with our orders but we got the job done. I miss it every day.

I don't want any of my brothers to go and clean anymore shit up but they will if called upon. If their not complaining no one else should.

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
It's time to unleash a UN force that the frickin' Russians will respect. How many times will the world let them have their way. All talk and no walk equals weak sauce. The Europeans are worried about natural gas supplies. It's time to position some U.S. Navy warships in the Black Sea to send a clear message.

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
It's time to unleash a UN force that the frickin' Russians will respect. How many times will the world let them have their way. All talk and no walk equals weak sauce. The Europeans are worried about natural gas supplies. It's time to position some U.S. Navy warships in the Black Sea to send a clear message.

A UN force? So they can distribute bottled water? ;)

The world lets us have our way all the time. Every time, in fact. And we've done some pretty rotten stuff to countries, and the people in them. Still do.

We have warships in the Black Sea and routinely run them in and out of the Bosporus. And there is a whole US fleet in the Mediterranean. Can you imagine the bricks we'd shit if Russia kept a Gulf of Mexico fleet?

I'm not saying Putin is right, or that Russian is some shining beacon of democracy and civil rights. But we keep a small army (literally) parked on Russia's doorstep, and American's don't understand Russia's relationship with Ukraine--which hasn't been an independent country since the 1300s.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Search launched for Malaysian airliner carrying 239 people - CNN.com

The Boeing 777-200 departed Kuala Lumpur International Airport at 12:41 a.m. and was expected to land in Beijing at 6:30 a.m., a 2,300-mile (3,700 kilometer) trip. It was carrying 227 passengers, two of them infants, and 12 crew members, the airline said. Air traffic control in Subang, in Malaysia, had last contact with the plane.

At the time of its disappearance, Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 was carrying about 7.5 hours of fuel, Sharuji said.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Does not sound good.

Usually the 777 has an impeccable safety record (as long as the pilot doesn't screw it up like with the Asiana Airlines crash at SFO). Makes me wonder if terrorism or another form of sabotage was involved.