XM Myfi to Onyx switch

Discussion in 'XM Radios' started by DNELS8, Oct 19, 2012.

1. DNELS8

DNELS8 New Member

I am changing over my XM Myfi radio to the XM Onyx, the first thing I noticed is the POWER connector is different. I am using an FM modulator and I am hoping to find an easy way to change from the OLD power connector to the new POWERCONNECT on the Onyx? Any help is appreciated.

XM user since 12/2005, and i still miss FRED on 44.
  2. dlnester

dlnester Active Member

I miss Fred on 44 too....

Might check with the folks at TSS Radio... they should have an answer for you.
  3. DNELS8

DNELS8 New Member

Thank you. I order a cable, but in the meantime I used the POWERCONNECT which works very well. I think I may just bypass the cable I bought and stick to what I have done. I have to say I like this forum.
    Aaron likes this.
  4. SXM_Help

SXM_Help Member

Hi -

Our engineering department wants to know why you cannot use your PowerConnect adapter. Can you elaborate on what's wrong with it?

Thanks,
    SiriusXM Digital Care Team
  5. DNELS8

DNELS8 New Member

There is nothing wrong with my POWERCONNECT adapter, the problem I was having is the connector for the POWER on the POWERCONNECT that is used on the Onyx is a different size than the connector for POWER that was used for the Delphi Myfi, and the Delphi SA10112 FM direct adapter that I was using with my Myfi. I was hoping to be able to just change out the vehicle base and plug in the antenna and power and be done. After I realized that the connector size had changed I was looking to see if there was an adapter or cable that I could use, in order to continue using my Delphi SA10112 direct adapter, which I was not able to find.

Why did you change the size of the connector used for the power from the older version radios (Myfi) to the new version radios (Onyz)? I am curious.

David Nelson
  6. TSS Pete

TSS Pete Member

The PowerConnect adapters do have a different size connector than the regular 5V adapters, which for a lot of people, does become frustrating. But should you get a home kit for the Onyx, the MyFi power adapters will work with that.
  7. DNELS8

DNELS8 New Member

Thanks Pete I will keep that in mind. I am leaning toward the boom box they have specifically for the Onyx. I think it would we for my set up. I appreciate the feedback. My set up in my Jeep is working well, I will have to post a picture!!
  8. TSS Pete

TSS Pete Member

If it's the SXABB boombox, those do work very well in the home. Pretty good sound, and it has a nice sleek design, so looks good on a desk or a counter.

And FYI, if you plan on using it outdoors, it doesn't last long with the 8 C batteries.
  9. DNELS8

DNELS8 New Member

My install of Onyx

811[/attach]
  10. DNELS8

DNELS8 New Member

Hello Pete, what would be ideal, and I am not sure if it even exists, is a Female Ipod/Iphone connector going to a Male XM base connector (what you would find on the home base or vehicle base). This would allow me to use my Bose Sound Dock with my Onyx. If you guys have this or know where I can get one, that would be great.