XM Skydock Sat Radio (Review)

Discussion in 'TSS Radio Hardware Reviews' started by DAB, Oct 14, 2009.

1. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

I move mine between 2 vehicles, but have also used it in other vehicles. YES it fits tight as it should. You don't want this thing flopping around. But like Taylor said you just twist it side to side and she pops right out.
  2. syphix

syphix Member

I was thinking about future app updates and the possibility of them adding "pause" and "rewind" to the app. And came to the realization that they could add all sorts of "features", and then SELL the app. Say, come out with a "SkyDock Plus" that allows pausing and rewinding, and then a "SkyDock Premium" which could allow you to SAVE songs. The new 3.0 OS also allows app subscriptions, too, so Apple could easily get a cut of the price tag...even monthly. Say $20 for "SkyDock Plus", and $20+$2/month for "SkyDock Premium". LOTS of options available to them on the iPod/iPhone/iTunes platform.
  3. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

I am sure tha pause/rewind and record functionality is disabled to appease the RIAA.
  4. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Hey those are some good idea! This would certainly allow Sirius to make a bit of extra funds without really having hardware expense involved.

I think the pause and rewind is certainly doable. Recording and saving content is probably a different animal. Pause and Rewind is certainly not an RIAA thing, recording would be.

Remember the RIAA came after XM because of their ability to record blocks of music and then save specific songs from those blocks. So, you won't see that for sure. Then again it will depend on if Apple will permit it, seems they are backing off a bit on apps using the memory. I am sure there would be some limits.
  5. geosync

geosync Well-Known Member

Yea, I wish the Inno had the rewind function, but I can record 50 hours of individual songs to the player, which no other radio after it can do, and probably never will be seen again. Cover art being added is a no-brainer, but the skydock just isn't attractive enough quite yet over my Inno.
  6. no1hedberg

no1hedberg Member

Bear in mind that Apple makes money selling music on itunes. The probability of approving an app the would save music for free on an iphone has to be slim. I would certainly pay more for an app with extra features like pause, rewind, and fast forward, just like you have to pay more for a radio with those features.
  7. hampstenj

hampstenj New Member

Yeah and that's directly from amazon, not one of it's partner sites... I hope that price is still around on Friday or so. if not then TSS it is. nothing against TSS it's an AMAZING resource, it's just that in this economy saving a few bucks always helps. We all want and need to save money, but we also need to support TSS because they support us with this forum.
  8. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

One suggestion I have for you guys is to call TSS and mention to them this price that Amazon has it and see if they can match it. In some cases they may not match it, but will throw in free shipping and it balances out. Give them a chance to get your business by calling them. The phone number is listed on the web site tss-radio.com
  9. TSS Taylor

TSS Taylor DRC Fan

Thanks DAB this is true. Especially on this product right now. Just ask.
  10. Grüpsaar

Grüpsaar DRC Forum Bum

You're all making me jealous! I don't have an ipod touch or iphone. I have a friend I go everywhere with though witha touch, and she has a sportser 4 in the car I gave her, and she likes it, but maybe Its time to upgrade it to a skydock for Christmas so it eliminates the crappy FM transmitter she has now for it.
  11. TSS Taylor

TSS Taylor DRC Fan

12. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

13. Argji

Argji Member

I have to say when I first read about the XM SkyDock, I thought it looked kinda of cool but it didn't capture my attention. Just reading the reviews and buzz on this now I can really see finally replacing the Old School Starmate in the wife's van and the SiriusOne in my car with this setup.

We plan on getting the wife an Iphone next year and it looks like a no-brainer. I could pick up a cheap Touch for my car and we're good to go. Only drawback would be the pain of cancelling on the Sirius-side and re-subbing on the XM-side. I wish they would figure out their back-office procedures on sitiuations like that to make it easier for their existing customers.
  14. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

I agree for someone with an iPhone or iPod Touch getting the Skydock setup is absolutely a no brainer!

I know you wife will love the iPhone and Skydock as much as I do. I have to say it has really turned me back on to Sat Radio. I've listened more in the last 2 weeks then I have in the last year almost it seems! That of course is an exaggeration, but I was listening to Slacker and Pandora a great deal prior to Sirius XM releasing their streaming app and now Skydock App. I use them hand in hand!
  15. hampstenj

hampstenj New Member

I couldn't help but laugh when I had to explain to the best buy dude this afternoon what the skydock was. note to self, if wanting help go to the bestbuy in Evansville Indiana not bridgeton, MO... although Steve Jobs wouldn't put an applestore in Evansville to get the other key part of the skydock package... now it's the fun task of activating the skydock, which from looking at some reviewers has been wonderfully easy via the skydock app itself...
  16. hampstenj

hampstenj New Member

humm Something interesting here.... Reports from some people that the skydock WILL work with Sirius.... I'm not sure I buy that personally, but a couple of comments I've seen floating around in reviews are stating that. someone wanna try and confirm that.. if true then Why the heck is Sirius not promoting the heck out of this thing...
  17. TSS Taylor

TSS Taylor DRC Fan

Hopefully reports doesn't mean Best Buy employees. LOL. It's an XM Chip. You have to pay $4 to get Best of SIRIUS. No doubt about it. No secret there.
  18. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

The app will no doubt be able to stream from Sirius Online as it was previously also able to do.
  19. hampstenj

hampstenj New Member

LOL that's what I was thinking when I seen that on another site. I was like what a minute, XM and sirius use different chips that can't be possible... :p
  20. zevious

zevious Member

..and don't forget, you can also listen to Pandora, Slacker, etc via the SkyDock. ;)