XMP3: Anyone had a good experience?

Discussion in 'XM Portables' started by shabadoo25, Oct 2, 2009.

1. shabadoo25

shabadoo25 Member

Reviewing this thing on various websites, it seems like all I see are complaints. Does anyone have anything good to say about it?

Mine arrives today from TSS.

2. MAJ Badmotherfarker

MAJ Badmotherfarker is drinking a beer.

Yup. I've had 2 and liked them. Even better now that TSS-Radio is selling an armband for them. That was the only drawback.

3. shabadoo25

shabadoo25 Member

So far, so good with mine the first few hours. And it was an open (roughed up) box return.

From what I've read, if you don't overload the storage capacities, it works pretty well. I have an iPod for storing songs and usually don't care too much about recording satellite, so it should work for my purposes.

4. dlnester

dlnester Active Member

I have one and it works great. The only thing I've noticed is sometimes it is slow to start up... I have about 120 mb of music on the Micro SD card, and I'm not sure if that is what makes it slow to start up or not.

Aaron likes this.
  5. MAJ Badmotherfarker

MAJ Badmotherfarker is drinking a beer.

I think that's just the XMP3 because I had the same issue. Certainly not a deal breaker though.

6. shabadoo25

shabadoo25 Member

It sounds like maxing out the storage capacity of either the card or the hard drive stresses out these things. I don't plan on doing either.

7. robhurlburt

robhurlburt Well-Known Member

i think the only drawbacks are this:
    -deletes recording schedule
    -does not save location on playback of deleted/recorded material

really, if it didn't delete my recording schedule i would like it a lot more. Its one major issue that should be a rather simple fix that pioneer/xm apparently refuses to admit

8. SIRIUSaboutXM

SIRIUSaboutXM DRC Special Contributor

I had lots of problems with mine (Had to do a complete restore every 2 weeks)until I quit making playlists. Now it's be working great for 2+ months.

9. bcushman

bcushman New Member

I've had mine since June with no problems. Like the portability by using it at home, in the car/truck and at our cabin in Vermont. Would definitely recommend it.

10. shabadoo25

shabadoo25 Member

Do you do a lot of scheduled recording on it? It's my only real beef with the thing.

11. bcushman

bcushman New Member

No, the only scheduled recording is a daily one on Channel 4, and there have been a couple of times when the recording did not take place

12. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

It seems recording on all these sat radio devices has always been to some degree problematic. It just almost impossible for them to do this thing right? I mean you shouldn't have to worry about overloading it, that is just crazy. I can understand some bugs when they are initially released, but they never seem to fix the damn things even months and years after them being on the market.

I refuse to buy these devices anymore and have to tip toe around or set limitations to use them! NO THANK YOU! Most of the complaints I've seen are legit based on my short period of use with one.

13. shabadoo25

shabadoo25 Member

DAB, you're absolutely right. It seems that they test them in a vacuum where they just try one or two things instead of stressing the capabilities of these units. They should try some end user testing first.

That having been said, I think that the SL2 and XMP3 are pretty neat units. What they are not are one stop mp3/satellite units. The SL2 is a pretty nifty Sirius one-tuner Tivo. The XMP3 is a pretty cool multi-tuner satellite music recorder with mp3 capability.

I have my iPod for my music catalog, but it sits next to my shower where it plays in the morning and sits all day. I want a more random musical experience than just the songs I have bought, and I like having someone else program it.

14. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

I agree the SL2 and XMP3 are nice, but due to bugs just have some irritating inherent limitations. These things should be fixed, but it seems Sirius XM has no intent to do so. They just sort of leave folks hanging and I've reached a point in my life that I am not willing to continue to support them with my money for their hardware which doesn't work as it should. Oh it gets the job done I guess, you just have to watch it like a hawk.

In regards to the iPod, I have an iPod Touch and iPhone as you know. These have some limitations too, but not content wise! I can get as much or all the variety I could possibly want and that is above and beyond my own library of content. Now I can even do live sat radio with the Skydock, I am not interested in recording these days anyway and I don't have to worry about separate docks or radios.

15. shabadoo25

shabadoo25 Member

Yeah. If recording was still a big deal, I'd have either the SL2 or my iPod working overtime, but it isn't. My opinion of the XMP3 is shaded by the fact that I paid less than $100 for it. They charge waaaaaaaay too much for these units new for them not to work flawlessly.

16. TheScionicMan

TheScionicMan Last non-Hating Stern Fan

It's too bad they haven't made much headway in the portable arena. Despite some various quirks, my S50 is still chugging along and recording Howard and Bubba every night. It sounds like y'all are still dealing with the same or similar issues as we were in 2006...

17. shabadoo25

shabadoo25 Member

Yeah, the most reliable recording method is a program like Replay A/V. However, I haven't felt like anything was special enough to record for at least the last 6 months.

18. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Yes the same issues they had originally are still around. When XM released their equipment they usually were good about getting the bugs out. I knew when Sirius XM took over the XMp3 was doomed to have the same fate as the SL100, SL2 because they made minimal fixes and then dropped any future fixes totally.

shab I agree with you, I even own Replay AV and have not fired it up in over 6 months. I use to record several programs every week without fail.

19. shabadoo25

shabadoo25 Member

It's what SXM really lacks--event radio. Too many of their jocks that will go nameless just are collecting checks and doing the bare minimum.

Still, I love the variety of music and the features some of the radios have.

20. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

I agree, I think though the problem is that is the way Sirius XM wants it. Do you remember how interactive XM use to be with their DJ's having live call-ins etc. Sirius has never had that. I remember I use to love it when subscribers called into the 90's or 70's channels. The country channels did it a lot too. It just made the subscriber feel connected and a part of. Boy in my opinion those were the good old days of sat radio. We've lost a lot of that. I think many of the DJ's program too many channels and they limit them to so many hours and they have to get it done within that time. Thank you Corporate Radio (which is what Sirius has become.)