XMp3 Review

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Hopefully there will be an update coming out soon to address these issues with the XMp3. I guess the big hope should be that the same bunch dealing with the SL2 isn't now in charge of the XMp3. :eek:

snakester

Oct 29, 2008
Lovely Seacost NH
Hopefully there will be an update coming out soon to address these issues with the XMp3. I guess the big hope should be that the same bunch dealing with the SL2 isn't now in charge of the XMp3. :eek:

I think it'll be something like they way they did it with the Inno. The first update will take a while to come out, then the next ones will be sooner

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I think it'll be something like they way they did it with the Inno. The first update will take a while to come out, then the next ones will be sooner

One thing we know is if the XM folks are working on it, they will test the heck out of it before releasing it to make sure it doesn't screw up more than it fixes. So, I guess it is best that they not rush something out. Usually your first update addresses a lot of bugs.

Nov 13, 2008
I thought all my problems were over with the XMp3 after I disabled the Auto record feature, but they're not. Once again, for no reason, the list of my scheduled recording has vanished -- even the daily recording schedule list is there anymore. At least this time it stuck around for 10 days. Thankfully my content recorded prior to this is still there.

My inno never recorded, but at least it keep the schedule. :clueless:

snakester

Oct 29, 2008
Lovely Seacost NH
I thought all my problems were over with the XMp3 after I disabled the Auto record feature, but they're not. Once again, for no reason, the list of my scheduled recording has vanished -- even the daily recording schedule list is there anymore. At least this time it stuck around for 10 days. Thankfully my content recorded prior to this is still there.

My inno never recorded, but at least it keep the schedule. :clueless:

Hmm. I wonder what we're doing differently? I haven't had any problem with my scheduled recordings, in fact if it was supposed to record something and I didn't have it docked it would figure it out and start the recording late when i put it back in the dock. I'm actually really impressed with the scheduled recorings on this radio.

no1hedberg

Oct 13, 2008
West Virginia
I know this is a little off topic, but I didn't want to start a new thread. I got an email from XM today for a one day subscriber sale. You can get an XMP3 + car kit for $199 and free shipping. I'm actually a little jittery trying not to buy it. You have to have an existing xm sub to take advantage of the offer. If I was sure it was actually better than the sl2 it would be a done deal. How does this thing do recording the stern show and btls?

Last edited:

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
I know this is a little off topic, but I didn't want to start a new thread. I got an email from XM today for a one day subscriber sale. You can get an XMP3 + car kit for $199 and free shipping. I'm actually a little jittery trying not to but it. You have to have an existing xm sub to take advantage of the offer. If I was sure it was actually better than the sl2 it would be a done deal. How does this thing do recording the stern show and btls?

Wow, that's a good deal. It gets me thinking too.......

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
I know this is a little off topic, but I didn't want to start a new thread. I got an email from XM today for a one day subscriber sale. You can get an XMP3 + car kit for $199 and free shipping. I'm actually a little jittery trying not to but it. You have to have an existing xm sub to take advantage of the offer. If I was sure it was actually better than the sl2 it would be a done deal. How does this thing do recording the stern show and btls?

I was just going to post that I received this email today. I think it expires at midnight. I would think about getting it but I have too many MyFi setups (home kits, boomboxes etc.)

no1hedberg

Oct 13, 2008
West Virginia
So is this thing really better than the SL2? How is it at recording the Stern show every day? Can you listen to something else while its recording a scheduled recording? Some of the previous posts implied that it would only record in the home dock. Is that true? Any opinions here would be appreciated.

snakester

Oct 29, 2008
Lovely Seacost NH
So is this thing really better than the SL2? How is it at recording the Stern show every day? Can you listen to something else while its recording a scheduled recording? Some of the previous posts implied that it would only record in the home dock. Is that true? Any opinions here would be appreciated.

Ok. While the thing is recording, you can listen to other channels but you CAN'T listen to previously recorded content (I think this is XM's way to prevent the "Battery Drain Of Death" problem the Stilettos are plagued with.
It seems to be able to record outside of it's home dock as long as it's on and has a signal. It's not perfect for listening to talk shows because of the "Crossfading" mentioned earlier in the thread, but I'd say it's better than the SL2 if you're a music fan, plus the portable reception is a lot better.
I'm hoping that they solve the crossfade issue in a newer version of firmware, at which point I'd have no problem saying it's better than the SL2.

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
Wow, I want one of these, just for the recording 5 channels at once feature. True, that you can only take 10 hours of individual songs? I have an inno, and like the ability to record more than that. My friend wants to get a Stiletto, but I may steer them towards one of these.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Just remember guys... No Wifi on the XMp3. So if you are big on Wifi in areas where you can't get normal sat or repeater reception, then you only have recorded content you can rely on. I think the lack of Wifi was a huge oversight, but then this was an XM product initially and they were just not where Sirius was in terms of supporting internet radio and wifi. Maybe next time!

I've personally decided to skip this one unless my trusty XpressRC was to fail, but then I use Replay AV for recording these days and just put it on my iPod for playback later. Everyone has different needs!

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Just remember guys... No Wifi on the XMp3. So if you are big on Wifi in areas where you can't get normal sat or repeater reception, then you only have recorded content you can rely on. I think the lack of Wifi was a huge oversight, but then this was an XM product initially and they were just not where Sirius was in terms of supporting internet radio and wifi. Maybe next time!

I've personally decided to skip this one unless my trusty XpressRC was to fail, but then I use Replay AV for recording these days and just put it on my iPod for playback later. Everyone has different needs!

If I did not have an SL2 I would probably have bought this. At this point it would have made my life easier to be 100% on the XM platform. But since I have an SL2, I don't need another device that does essentially the same thing.

I think the WiFi is by design. I wonder how much extra cost Sirius absorbs to support WiFi for the SL100/SL2? I don't think its their standard player website. My guess is that XM decided it did not have the money. Perhaps the next version could make use of the Sirius servers.

GreenHornet99

Oct 17, 2008
I think Sirius has Wifi because its home satellite/repeater coverage sucks. In comparison XM has excellent home coverage from satellite/repeater so does not need wifi. Not sure why that is.

Learjet35A

Oct 14, 2008
Burbank, CA
I'm so financially strapped right now and I'm looking at this radio drooling. With XM now offering the Lifetime w/ the Best of SIRIUS I'm trying so hard not to.

Please tell me this radio gets hot and causes fires, causes blindness and shrinks your manparts to convince me not to, please.