XMU to be replaced with Sirius - Left of Center?

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
I read an report on Orbitcast.com and looks like XMU to be replaced with Sirius' Left of Center?

XMU says goodbye - Orbitcast

Reports have come in that XMU (ch 43) will be the first on the list of channels to be merged into its satellite radio counterpart.

The XMU Nation website and the XMU MySpace page are showing farewell letters from XMU's Program Director Billy Zero and the channel's "Dean of Music" Tobi. The two state that they have "enjoyed the years of love, music, fun and passion" and "say goodbye to our fans." They also invite their fans to "come chill with us."

XMFan.com is reporting that XMU will be replaced with Sirius' Left of Center (ch 26).

Last edited:

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
So, it starts! In listening to both, I actually do prefer LOC, but still I am sure the loyal XMU fans won't see it that way.

I think this is only the beginning!

BobMurdoch

Oct 15, 2008
Uh oh.... Does this mean that all of the Sirius channels will get picked over their XM counterparts?

I'm hoping they bring over CineMagic and Upop, for which there is no Sirius equal....

I preferred talk free channels on XM, now I get to hear the early 80's VJs on the 80's channel... Not an improvement....

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Uh oh.... Does this mean that all of the Sirius channels will get picked over their XM counterparts?

I'm hoping they bring over CineMagic and Upop, for which there is no Sirius equal....

I preferred talk free channels on XM, now I get to hear the early 80's VJs on the 80's channel... Not an improvement....

Anything that is a duplicate will likely be Sirius version as the one surviving.

Those which do not have equals will likely remain on each service but not be brought over.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
I'm guessing this is it, but XM has this channel already. j/k
indy_car_series.jpg

I believe he really talking about Indie talk on Channel 110 on Sirius.
BlobServer

SISO

Oct 11, 2008
I never really listened to XMU but I do remember listening to Left of Center and mostly liking what I heard. I'm actually looking froward to this.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
Ever since I have own Sirius unit, I have really not listen to Left of Center for more then a half hour. It not really my type of music.

Wayne Edwards

Oct 13, 2008
I love LOC (Who else would play "Who's Got The Crack?" by The Moldy Peaches?). Haven't heard XMU, but I suspect the main difference is XMU has less songs in heavy rotation, which seems to be the main difference with most channels. I was hoping the merger really would be a "merging" of the best qualities of each similar station, whatever the format. I guess just eliminating certain channels altogether, most likely on XM, is what will really happen. I hope I'm wrong.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I love LOC (Who else would play "Who's Got The Crack?" by The Moldy Peaches?). Haven't heard XMU, but I suspect the main difference is XMU has less songs in heavy rotation, which seems to be the main difference with most channels. I was hoping the merger really would be a "merging" of the best qualities of each similar station, whatever the format. I guess just eliminating certain channels altogether, most likely on XM, is what will really happen. I hope I'm wrong.

XMU probably would have more songs in a lighter rotation. I can't think of one channel where XM has less songs or more repatition than the Sirius equivalent.

But agreed on the approach. I would have hoped for a blending or 1/2 of one and 1/2 of the other. Neither appears to be happening.

Sirius Rich

Oct 11, 2008
Houston
I drove 360 miles yesterday and listened to LoC the whole trip. I wanted to try it out because of this thread. I really want to thank this forum for giving the thought of trying out 26, I like it and turned on another old fart today at work. We both have had Sirius for years and were giddy about discovering this new channel. To me, this is what satellite radio is about.

I never listened to XMU so I cannot compare the two channels.

DoublEE

Oct 11, 2008
South Euclid, Ohio
I drove 360 miles yesterday and listened to LoC the whole trip. I wanted to try it out because of this thread. I really want to thank this forum for giving the thought of trying out 26, I like it and turned on another old fart today at work. We both have had Sirius for years and were giddy about discovering this new channel. To me, this is what satellite radio is about.

I never listened to XMU so I cannot compare the two channels.

Another LOC recruit. :bigthumbup:

Glad you enjoyed it. LOC is a breath of fresh air.

Wayne Edwards

Oct 13, 2008
XMU probably would have more songs in a lighter rotation. I can't think of one channel where XM has less songs or more repatition than the Sirius equivalent.

Yes, I was referring to XM having less songs in heavy rotation, meaning XM has more airtime to play more songs that aren't in heavy rotation. I was kind of hoping the merger would bring a combination of both programming philosophies.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Yes, I was referring to XM having less songs in heavy rotation, meaning XM has more airtime to play more songs that aren't in heavy rotation. I was kind of hoping the merger would bring a combination of both programming philosophies.

I've gotten to the point where I don't know what the fuck is going to happen -- so many rumours, all with little or no confirmation. I think I am going to just wait until Nov 5th and see what is on my radios and make adjustments to my subs if neccessary then.

SatelliteSteve

Oct 28, 2008
Northern NJ
I've been listening to LOC for 4 years and I've noticed that they've been playing a deeper selection over the last month. For example, I've heard Spiritualized: Ladies and Gentlemen We are Floating in Space, which is something they've never played before. I've also heard other songs off the new TV On the Radio album--not just the lead single. This looks like a good sign!