Yet another vacation for Howard next week

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
But that doesn't work for me. I assume you have to buy the best of package but they won't let me. Not only does it not show as an option online but the CSR reps say they can't see it for me either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Those CSRs aren't helpful. I guarantee you can get an Online Login and get the App even if your radio isn't capable of Best of.

Yeah. I have a radio with only Sirius...no Best of. I can't get O&A on the app.

I want to say you could pay the extra "Best Of" fee and get those "Best of" channels, but only on the app. At least in theory, you should be able to.

Is SiriusXM STILL having these types of problems??!?! Christ, I thought it was one UNIFIED company.

LOL! Dummies.... Biaviian wants to give them money but isn't having any luck. Then you have super Guru Taylor who says it's possible (and I'd take his word for it 1000 times over those dopey CSRs).

What shit. :agree:

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
Is SiriusXM STILL having these types of problems??!?! Christ, I thought it was one UNIFIED company.

LOL! Dummies.... Biaviian wants to give them money but isn't having any luck. Then you have super Guru Taylor who says it's possible (and I'd take his word for it 1000 times over those dopey CSRs).

I got it!! Let's get this guy involved: SXM_Help .

Who wants to bet s/he asks to be emailed to answer the question?

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Let's look at it objectively. When he was on KRock, the show started at 6am, but it was all taped clips until 6:30, and there were 10 minute commercial breaks every 20 minutes. Now he's on live at about 6:05, and the commercial breaks, which average 5 minutes, might be spaced as little as 20 minutes or as much as 90, so lets say 45 minutes on average.

I honestly think it's a stretch to get 4 (let alone 5) days of solid content in a week. So while I thought 4 shows/week was optimal for my listening habits, I recognize that he's still doing over 12 hours/week. And with no Artie/Jackie in the studio, Howard has to carry the ball more often.

Oh, and don't forget that most of the other daily entertainers are taping at 5:30pm or so, not going on live at 6am. Hell, Letterman tapes 2 shows/day so he only goes in a few days a week. Give Howard some credit for still doing this, because he certainly doesn't need to, he must want to.

The Letterman show that is scheduled to air on Thursday (today) was taped Wednesday.

Those commercial breaks on FM were horrible things, though. They'd come on right around 6 AM, and it would be a commercial break by 6:08 or so. There'd be another break around 6:50 or so, and just on and on.

Four shows a week made sense. It still would...if Howard's staff could do something decent.

It used to be the Friday Show. Gary, Jon Hein, and a few odds and ends would get together and do the "rejected bits", the "best of fred", and all that.

Decent show, but people bitched because it wasn't live Howard. Show canceled.

Mastertape came along. People bitched because it wasn't live. I think there was some actual requests for a BOTW deal. It made sense to some degree. Live show, west coast feed, and maybe 3 replays later that day before the new show. You'd have two replays of each show on Friday and Saturday, and the BOTW filled in on Fridays.

Plus...there was always BTLS on 101 pretty much all day on Fridays.

Last edited:

shabadoo25

Oct 12, 2008
Howard's show stinks now.

AGT talk. The same lame callers--Bobo, MFB. Discussions with Robin that sound like 2 kvetching grandmas. No comics in studio ever. Endless Joan Rivers appearances.

I was forced kicking and screaming to move to O&A. Not as good as classic Stern, but on 5 days a week and covers stuff non-millionaires can relate to.

Reactions: hyson

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
In theory yes but CSR agents are unable to get me that service.

I have screwed up on this. I asked some people and it's not very clear how this works. In other words some make it seem like it IS based on your main subscription package. So if you get Sirius Premier you would get those stations on the app. And if you just have a base package you wouldn't.

This is a confusing issue and I'm trying to figure it out. I think I might be wrong on this. I can't even figure it out online. In other words it's not very cut and dry what channels you get on the app.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I have screwed up on this. I asked some people and it's not very clear how this works. In other words some make it seem like it IS based on your main subscription package. So if you get Sirius Premier you would get those stations on the app. And if you just have a base package you wouldn't.

This is a confusing issue and I'm trying to figure it out. I think I might be wrong on this. I can't even figure it out online. In other words it's not very cut and dry what channels you get on the app.

It's semi-confusing, but not really. I have the regular Sirius package. On the app, I believe I get everything that I do on the radio. The exceptions are with the sports PbP.

MLB: I get these channels on my phone, but not on my radio.
NFL: I get these channels on phone and radio. On my phone, each team has an individual channel. On the radio, the PbP interrupts regular programming on different channels.
NHL: I get nothing on my radio. I get the Home Ice talk channel on the phone. I'm not sure about games.

I would guess that someone with an XM radio and an online package would have the mirror opposite of what you see above.

Channel Lineup - SiriusXM Radio

As a subscriber to the online package, I get most of the sports stuff, plus additional talk and music channels.

I'll go out on a limb and take a guess that the only thing I don't get at all is O&A, Oprah, and XM's Clear Channel music stations.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008

On a side note, I remember you're from Chicago or there about.

I've been listening to their police radio traffic... that town is NUTS!

Chicago Police Live Scanner Audio Feed

Biaviian

Nov 17, 2008

That would be pretty crazy. If your radio can't handle the best-of (I'm not sure why it couldn't though) then there is no harm in pushing that data to the radio. Therefore they should allow anybody to buy the best-of.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
Sorry about that. Unfortunately, we don't have access to comment on that page in particular. To the customer in need, he would have to purchase a "Best Of" plan in order to stream Howard on his smartphone or online player. Please feel free to send him to our email address sxm_help@siriusxm.com and we'll be able to set that up.

-SiriusXM Digital Care Team

So, there's that.

Biaviian

Nov 17, 2008
Maybe that email address is monitored by people in the know. If so they may be able to get around the system limitations. I'll have to give it a shot one of these days, thanks.

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
That would be pretty crazy. If your radio can't handle the best-of (I'm not sure why it couldn't though) then there is no harm in pushing that data to the radio. Therefore they should allow anybody to buy the best-of.

Yeah this is new to me. Most of the services have tiers but with the Online Listening it's $3.50 no matter what. I get that older Sirius Radios can't get all of the channels since the bandwidth on the chipset is too old. But no reason to limit the app for that subscriber.

Spokker

Jan 15, 2009
I have a scanner app on my iPhone and it's no more dangerous here than any other major US city.

It's no secret that Chicago has a major problem with murders this year. It may not be happening in your neighborhood but it's a major issue right now in certain neighborhoods. It's gun violence that is overwhelmingly black on black.