Your Favorite Podcasts

Discussion in 'Podcasts' started by JHDK, Jan 26, 2010.

1. JHDK

JHDK Release Robin's Bra

I just got a new ipod and its the first time ive had one.

im wondering what podcasts you all listen to. im looking to find some more good ones to check out.

i currently listen to:

carolla
    spider and the henchman
    the onion
    greg fitz
    maddow
    olberman
    obama weekly address
    obama speeches
    a few various philly sports shows
    a few various music shows

id love to know what podcasts you all listen to. thanks for the help.

-jhdk
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  2. smithee

smithee New Member

MMA Junkie is the best podcast IMO .
  3. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

The Onion
    The Tony Kornheiser Show
    Pardon the Interruption
    This Week In Tech
    MacBreak Weekly
    Science Friday
    Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me
    This American Life
    BBC Newspod
    KCRW's Left, Right and Center
    The B.S. Report with Bill Simmons
    Some Medical stuff
    Some Music Stuff
  4. blyons200

blyons200 These pretzels are making me thirsty.

No Agenda with Adam Curry and John C Dvorak. That show is awesome. Adam with crazy conspiracy theories and John's we're all doomed theories, it's great

Windows Weekly
  5. JHDK

JHDK Release Robin's Bra

cool ill give it a shot. i just tried to listen to never not funny with jimmy pardo and it was ok but not that great and only 20mins and he uses like 7 mins for add and plugging his own pay podcast. f that. ill let ya know what i think of the no agenda. thanks!

-jhdk
  6. flap_jackson

flap_jackson Well-Known Member

I subscribe to about 19 podcasts, but you can't check out my top 5 in my signature :)
  7. ProperModulation

ProperModulation Green Type of Tube

Windows Weekly
    This Week in Tech
    The Tech Guy
    Car Talk
    Security Now (for when I want to make myself feel really stupid)
  8. Ifandorbut

Ifandorbut Well-Known Member

I've said as much for a long time now, but for the record...

My favorite at the moment: Uhhh Yeah Dude.
    Podcasts date back to early 2006. Just two guys talking about stuff in the news. They rant about Florida, Peeds, who they do the show for and stuff in the news. It's a grower of a show, but you will soon see that they both have excellent chemistry and you will soon fall into their in-jokes. Seth is one of the funniest guys you'll hear in the podcast universe. Highly recommended.

The Onion Radio News: Just forty-five second hits of absurd headlines. Almost always chuckle worthy.

The Adam Carolla Podcast: Anyone who knows me from this board knows of my love for the Aceman. I would say that he's more of a comedy warehouse these days than he is a comedy factory, but he's easily the quickest wit alive doing radio when he wants to be. He also features guests that are very funny.

The Bugle: I can't recommend this for all, but I love it. If you like John Oliver(from the Daily Show)you'll like this podcast. John's partner, in London, is more of a word-play comedian and comic-surrealist, but they both tackle items in the news. It's a grower of a show and it is also one that if you know the back story to the show, you will enjoy it more.

I Love Movies: A sometimes weekly podcast by charming stoner Doug Benson. Doug has on a lot of Southern California comedians and they play silly games built around movies. There have been a few episodes that sucked hard, most recently the Sarah Silverman episode, but when it hits it hits big.

Comedy Death Ray: A weekly podcast centered around improvisational interviews with a sprinkling of comedy songs. Hit and miss, but almost always good for a laugh.

I also listen to a handful of NPR podcasts: Wait, Wait...Don't Tell Me, This American Life, All Songs Considered and Fresh Air.
  9. JHDK

JHDK Release Robin's Bra

very cool. you have given me lots of new content ideas. oliver seems worthwhile and yea dude also seems worth checking out. thanks for the suggestions!

i have also become a fan of carolla since i got my ipod for xmas. i listened to a lot of the old shows and aam pretty much caught up now. the live podcasts he does from clubs are great. even when he gets a guest who sucks it cool to hear him have to do all the heavy lifting. i never heard his la radio show so its cool when he has his gang in for those almost live podcasts.

im soooo happy that greg fitz is working with him now. fitz is perhaps my fav podcast and i hope him hooking up with ace will mean more of him. the kevin and the henchman on the ace network is also a cool sports show. a bit of a toned down ferrall. i still dig ferrall more but i listen every week none the less.

-jhdk
  10. Ifandorbut

Just found out today that Adam is going to be charging for parts of his podcasts. He's done the show for free for the last year, but he's now going to charge for selective podcasts. You'll get to hear half of a live show, but to hear the second half you're going to have to throw down the cash.

It will be interesting to see if he gets a decent response or not.

Just keep one thing in mind when getting into some of these other podcasts; they can take a bit of time to get into the hang of it. I took to all of the podcasts that I mentioned right away, but your mileage may vary. I do think that Seth from UYD is brilliant, just a funny motherfucker. And I love the chemistry between Johnathon and Seth. I would advise to subscribe to their back catalog and to listen to the first batch of shows. I think that if you get four to five shows in and you like it, you'll want to hear the rest of them. They have a unique chemistry, I really like hearing them joke around with one another.
  11. flap_jackson

flap_jackson Well-Known Member

I would NEVER have paid for anything that Adam has ever done, podcast or otherwise. It's nice that it's there, but if it's not, I'm not going to pay to get it.
  12. ClubSteeler

ClubSteeler Member

Im am an iphone noob. Really like it so far. Recently have been getting into podcasts, mainly local pittsburgh sports talk.

I've been finding them on the web and downloading them (not through itunes). The iphone is really my wife's (kind of like when homer bought marge a bowling ball), but I don't bring it to work. So I download the podcasts to a cheap little MP3 player to listen at work (not allowed to stream at work).

So here are some questions:
    I can "subscribe" to these podcasts on itunes. What does it mean to "subscribe"? Will the podcast automatically be downloaded to my pc every day? When I do download, will they be in Mp3 format, or will it be in that apple format that my MP3 player can't play?

Just curious to how the itunes podcasts work, and if getting them through itunes rather than the radio stations home page buys me anything.

Thanks.
  13. Ifandorbut

If you like Pittsburgh sports talk you should look up Dave Damashek's podcasts, he's a big Steeler guy.

When you subscribe to a podcast you get all of the back catalog of the podcast and daily, weekly or bi-weekly updates whenever you log into iTunes. The podcasts will be in mp3 format.

You can also download podcasts at podcast alley or lots of other podcasting platforms.
  14. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

They'll be downloaded at the frequency they're released, some are daily, others are weekly, or whenever the podcast owner feels like doing a show. And you can control how often you want the podcasts downloaded, like daily, weekly, or hourly.
  15. JHDK

JHDK Release Robin's Bra

you sir give some good podcast advice. i started your list with never not funny and didnt like it, just not for me. went on to give the bugle a chance and things turned around. really funny and ill now be listening to it weekly. then i went onto comedy death ray...wow!!! i really like this show. ive listened to like 10 shows so far and they all have me laughing almost not stop.

thanks with the advice. ill check out your other suggestions next!

-jhdk
  16. Ifandorbut

I didn't suggest "never not funny". I think Pardo can sometimes be funny, but as a host I don't find him to be compelling enough with any view point whatsoever and I think his humor takes a backseat to almost everyone else I listen to. In a group setting, if he doesn't dominate the conversation, he could be beneficial to a show, or maybe just be a decent guest, I guess. I listened to a couple of his shows, that's enough for me.

I'm glad you liked what you've listened to thus far. Don't expect home runs every time with all of my suggestions. I find that I'm much more likely to enjoy a show that just gets in and gets out and tries to be entertaining in its short allotment of time. Most of the shows are once a week and I don't get burned out from them, so it's perfect all the way around. Add to that the free aspect...it's a terrific situation.

Have fun listening.
  17. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

The nuts on Car Talk is my favorite. There are other tech shows I listen too as well, but only when I have nothing else in the world to do. But Car Talk is the exception, those guys make me laugh my ass off.
  18. JHDK

JHDK Release Robin's Bra

thats right, i heard of pardo from somewhere else. and the pardo that i did listen to was odd. its was only like a 20min show and a bunch was used to plug his pay podcast. what i meant to say was i started out your list with uhh yea dude. that didnt do it for me either. just didnt really like the hosts. but death ray is a real gem. thanks for pointing it out.

-jhdk
  19. IronJabroni

IronJabroni Well-Known Member

not sure if this was already mentioned but if your into Carolla and cars check out the "CarCast" pod...new episode each Saturday morning

also started trying out the "WTF" pod with Marc Maron...not bad