Your ideas help plan surprise party...

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
That's right, folks!

I need your ideas for a surprise party for my wife's 30th birthday in May.

I'm sure each one of you has said to yourself, "Well, if I had 'x', that party would have really kicked ass!"

Welp, this is your opportunity to share your ideas. If my budget can absorb it and it seems appropriate, I'll implement the idea.

Basically, it will be a surpise party outside in my large backyard in May. I've already come up with renting a port-a-potty and a large tent.

Beyond that, I haven't given it much thought.

:crosses fingers. hopes this thread isn't a flop:

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Don't tell your wife's best friend! hehehe

You will likely want to do it some place other than home, maybe some close friends or a place that you like to eat where they have a party or meeting room that you could make use of. It will be eaiser to hide it along with going and decorating without her knowing.

Sounds fun! I hope it turns out great!

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
Are you going to want to do the 'heavy lifting' or are you looking to get a caterer / bartender?

I'm looking at doing mostly everything in-house with help of some friends.

Don't tell your wife's best friend! hehehe

You will likely want to do it some place other than home, maybe some close friends or a place that you like to eat where they have a party or meeting room that you could make use of. It will be eaiser to hide it along with going and decorating without her knowing.

Sounds fun! I hope it turns out great!

You make a good point. I will have to look into this....

Thanks, so far!

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
When she comes home, tell her that her mom was just hit by a bus. Wait a few seconds for effect, then say you were just kidding. No matter what happens the rest of the evening, it will be better than her mom being hit by a bus! You're a hero!

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
Think about food that does not require grilling. Do you want to be attached to the grill all night cooking? Or do you want to have time to mix and mingle? That's the problem with trying to do it yourself.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
Think about food that does not require grilling. Do you want to be attached to the grill all night cooking? Or do you want to have time to mix and mingle?

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
Some tips. I've planned a few surprise parties, one for my wifes 30th as well.

1. What is her birthday? I ask this because it sometimes helps to incorporate a theme. My wife was born at the beginning of November so we had a Halloween party for her Surprise 30th. You said she was born in May so some sort of summer theme would be great. Chicks love themes and this will be a big plus for you.

2. Start recruiting help NOW. You'll need to come up with a reason to get her out of the house so you can set up and decorate and you're going to need all of the help you can get. Or, you can give her an early birthday gift of something like "a day at the spa" and get her out of the house for a whole afternoon, it will give you time to decorate and get set up

3. Start shopping now. Trust me, start buying the decorations now. Otherwise, you'll overspend when it comes to the week before.

4. Get the inviations out early to her friends and follow up with phone calls so they reserve the day and also have time to get in touch with some of the long lost friends that you don't have addresses for.

5. If possible, have her parents do a lot of the heavy lifting work like contacting people, getting you addresses of people to invite, recommended caterers, etc.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: hyson

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
Think about food that does not require grilling. Do you want to be attached to the grill all night cooking?

178993.jpg

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
Some tips. I've planned a few surprise parties, one for my wifes 30th as well.

1. What is her birthday? I ask this because it sometimes helps to incorporate a theme. My wife was born at the beginning of November so we had a Halloween party for her Surprise 30th. You said she was born in May so some sort of summer theme would be great. Chicks love themes and this will be a big plus for you.

2. Start recruiting help NOW. You'll need to come up with a reason to get her out of the house so you can set up and decorate and you're going to need all of the help you can get. Or, you can give her an early birthday gift of something like "a day at the spa" and get her out of the house for a whole afternoon, it will give you time to decorate and get set up

3. Start shopping now. Trust me, start buying the decorations now. Otherwise, you'll overspend when it comes to the week before.

4. Get the inviations out early to her friends and follow up with phone calls so they reserve the day and also have time to get in touch with some of the long lost friends that you don't have addresses for.

5. If possible, have her parents do a lot of the heavy lifting work like contacting people, getting you addresses of people to invite, recommended caterers, etc.

Hope this helps.

You always hit a homerun. +1 for the suggestions.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
The theme is a really good idea. It makes it look like you really put thought into it rather than just ordering a bunch of booze and a crate of meat.

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
For my wife's 30th (well, she was my girlfriend at the time) she had a bounce house and a tray of jello shots at the entrance to the bounce house. It was a lot of fun once the shots started to kick in.

Edit: Just remembered that you are expecting a kid, so maybe excessive drinking and violent jumping are not the best things for your wife... :)

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
For my wife's 30th (well, she was my girlfriend at the time) she had a bounce house and a tray of jello shots at the entrance to the bounce house. It was a lot of fun once the shots started to kick in.

Edit: Just remembered that you are expecting a kid, so maybe excessive drinking and violent jumping are not the best things for your wife... :)

+1 for the effort. :hah: :D

-1 for trying to be an abortion doctor. :drool: :right:

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
The theme is a really good idea. It makes it look like you really put thought into it rather than just ordering a bunch of booze and a crate of meat.

Themes........ well shizz, now we're gettin somewhere.

Ideas for summer theme? Hawaii'n? Luaou? Others?

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
Themes........ well shizz, now we're gettin somewhere.

Ideas for summer theme? Hawaii'n? Luaou? Others?

That is probably the best route to take because the decorations will be easy to find and also everyone will be comfortable during the party. Plus, as the drinks start flying some of the grass skirts might come off.

Or, you could go off the wall and just center the theme around something she is into. That can get hard thought because a lot of us don't know what are wives are really into because we don't listen to them very often because they just NEVER stop talking.

She's thirty so an 80's theme would be really easy to pull off. Taking her back to her childhood. Hey, you could just put on First Wave and you're pretty much DONE!