2015 Mls Regular Season Thread

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
I didn't know Chivas USA had closed down & that the MLS wants to put in another team in LA.

MLS unveils new Los Angeles franchise set to begin play in 2017 - ESPN FC

I recall that post in the other MLS thread or some other soccer thread. I just find it ridiculous, why reward L.A. a second franchise again when the other team just folded. There quite a few cities wanting and bidding for MLS teams and upper management just rewards L.A. with a second franchise right away. To me personally, I would wait after the 24 team expansion and whenever they are ready to expand again then reward L.A. with a second franchise. To me L.A. is just taking away a team from another city.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
I recall that post in the other MLS thread or some other soccer thread. I just find it ridiculous, why reward L.A. a second franchise again when the other team just folded. There quite a few cities wanting and bidding for MLS teams and upper management just rewards L.A. with a second franchise right away. To me personally, I would wait after the 24 team expansion and whenever they are ready to expand again then reward L.A. with a second franchise. To me L.A. is just taking away a team from another city.

There have been two other teams to shutdown, both in Florida.

List of Major League Soccer defunct clubs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There will be another team in Miami. The League wants one there.

If people like Magic Johnson & others have the money & want to start up another team in LA, better for them.

The League is more likely to want another team there, with owners committed to it's success, than start a team in St Louis, where most people don't really care about soccer.

I would hope that when the League decides to add a team from Minnesota, they'd add the team that's already there. But the League will do what's best for the Leauge, and if a new team backed by the Vikings is the best choice, then so be it.

Chives USA folded because of poor management.

From Wikipedia Chivas USA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On February 20, 2014, Major League Soccer purchased Chivas USA from Vergara. They announced plans to sell to a buyer dedicated to keeping the club in Los Angeles, as well as a plan to rebrand the club in time for the 2015 MLS season.[7] ESPN reported on September 29, 2014 that the club would suspend operations at the end of the MLS regular season, according to multiple sources.[8]

On September 30, 2014, Grant Wahl of Sports Illustrated reported that a group of investors headed by Henry Nguyen, Los Angeles Dodgers investor Peter Guber and Cardiff Cityowner Vincent Tan agreed to purchase the club for a fee over $100 million. The sale would mean that Chivas USA would fold, with the second Los Angeles team to take the field as an expansion team in 2017 with a new stadium in Downtown Los Angeles.[9]

Chivas USA ceased operations on October 27, 2014, with its player development academy continuing to be operated by MLS until June 2015.[4] The new tentatively-named Los Angeles Football Club will begin play in 2017. A dispersal draft took place after the 2014 season, having the remaining players from the club dispersed to other teams in the league.

From that article I posted...

MLS unveils new Los Angeles franchise set to begin play in 2017 - ESPN FC

Chivas USA was controlled by the owners of Mexican club Chivas Guadalajara, and Garber said earlier this weekthat the decision to specifically target the Hispanic market led to the club's downfall.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
I have followed some teams that folded, been awarded or relocated. It been quite a few years since MLS returned to Florida, and they have a big soccer fan base. So I see why they can get awarded new franchises.

The Chivas USA club has been around for a decade, which is impressive. I read the article, the ownership wanted to sell and the temporary folded operations. Which is ok, it happens a lot in Arena Football.

But like I said earlier, to me there are quite a few cities that want an MLS team and L.A. gets awarded with another franchise and it still taking a franchise from a future possible MLS city.

Reactions: semipenguin

sbv71

Oct 12, 2008
I have followed some teams that folded, been awarded or relocated. It been quite a few years since MLS returned to Florida, and they have a big soccer fan base. So I see why they can get awarded new franchises.

The Chivas USA club has been around for a decade, which is impressive. I read the article, the ownership wanted to sell and the temporary folded operations. Which is ok, it happens a lot in Arena Football.

But like I said earlier, to me there are quite a few cities that want an MLS team and L.A. gets awarded with another franchise and it still taking a franchise from a future possible MLS city.

I do wonder if St. Louis can get an MLS team in the future, especially if St. Louis loses the Rams. They would need another pro team to fill the void if they don't get another NFL team.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
I do wonder if St. Louis can get an MLS team in the future, especially if St. Louis loses the Rams. They would need another pro team to fill the void if they don't get another NFL team.

Missouri has had trouble keeping some teams. A's. Hawks.

I hope the Rams stay in St Louis. I really don't see them as a soccer city, but I could be wrong.

Reactions: sbv71 and Wolf

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix

Missouri has had trouble keeping some teams. A's. Hawks.

I hope the Rams stay in St Louis. I really don't see them as a soccer city, but I could be wrong.

I like see the Rams stay, if they ever did get an MLS team. They could use the location site of Edward Jones Dome.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Minnesota United to join the MLS in 2018.

CBSSports.com APP

Major League Soccer introduced Minnesota United FC as its newest expansion team during a Wednesday press conference at Target Field.

United, currently a second-tier NASL club, beat out investors from the Minnesota Vikings to secure an MLS club in Minnesota.

"We are proud to welcome Minnesota to Major League Soccer," MLS commissioner Don Garber said in a league statement. "The ownership group's commitment to soccer and the community, the area's growing millennial population and the region's rich tradition of supporting soccer at all levels in Minnesota were key indicators that this was the right market. The passionate soccer fans in Minnesota will soon have a world-class, downtown soccer stadium that will serve as the home for the new MLS team and become a destination for marquee international sports events."

With the addition of Orlando City SC and New York City FC, MLS has expanded to 20 teams in 2015, and is targeting 24 teams by 2020. Los Angeles FC and a an Atlanta franchise will join the league in 2017. Minnesota is scheduled to be the 23rd franchise beginning in 2018, with a stadium plan due by July 1, according to Sports Illustrated's Brian Straus. David Beckham and Miami are also in the mix to be the 24th and final franchise before 2020.

"I want to thank MLS commissioner Don Garber and the league's owners for helping us bring Major League Soccer to Minnesota," Minnesota owner Dr. Bill McGuire said in the statement. "As a group of Minnesotans who love this state and have made a commitment to bring this vision to life, this is a momentous day that we've all been waiting for."

Reactions: sbv71

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
My favorite Midwest cities are the Twin Cities, down to Kansas City & St Louis

I'm excited for Minnesota United.

Along with Sporting KC, NYC FC, & the new Los Angeles club, I'm one happy camper.

Droopy_by_Autiwa.png

Reactions: sbv71