2019 Movies & Tv Shows

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
The Drafthouse shows a pre-show reel 30 minutes before the start time. No ads. The reels generally relate to the movie you are about to see.

Blockbusters always get their own special reel. The Marvel universe movies get a full recap of what happened in earlier films that you need to know for this one.

Weird little movies don't get their own reels. They have a few generic and themed reels they show before those. Lots of fun, weird stuff like Japanese games show clips and commercials.

After the pre-show they run 10 or 15 minutes of trailers, then the movie. No other ads.

Last night the Bag family saw "Yesterday". We all enjoyed it. My biggest complaint was that the high concept device, a world without the Beatles, overshadows the love story. I spent most of the film realizing how much better Lennon and McCartney's songwriting was than anyone else. The further we get from that time the more likely it becomes that there won't be anything else like them. The love story is nice, but inconsequential compared to the music.

The pre show reel had an old Pathe film of one of the early Beatles performances, a news piece on people making Beatles wigs, trailers for "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" and "Yellow Submarine", and a Bollywood clip with Indian performers convulsing in imitation of the Beatles.

MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio
Oct 17, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
It is a good thing your Sweetie doesn’t frequent this forum.

I don’t mind the previews. What bothers me is the 20 minutes of commercials they put before the previews. Now they are adding 1 or 2 inside the previews as well. If I am paying $13 for a ticket I don’t want to see ads.

Sent from my iPhone6S using Tapatalk

Yes, I've been in this forum since the first week (not Sirius backstage that all of you been here) but the first week of
DRC and she has no idea I belong here.. She knows I'm in fantasy football but doesn't know with it's with DRC

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Monday night I saw the 4+ hour long 4K restoration of Sergio Leone's "Once Upon a Time in America".

What a piece of crap. It has moments of beauty, but they don't overcome the stodgy pacing and despicable central character. There's a lengthy, brutal rape in the middle of the movie that makes the anti hero into a villain. He was played by Robert De Niro, who seemed to be acting in an entirely different style than everyone else.

Reactions: MadisonRadio1

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Monday night I saw the 4+ hour long 4K restoration of Sergio Leone's "Once Upon a Time in America".

What a piece of crap. It has moments of beauty, but they don't overcome the stodgy pacing and despicable central character. There's a lengthy, brutal rape in the middle of the movie that makes the anti hero into a villain. He was played by Robert De Niro, who seemed to be acting in an entirely different style than everyone else.
I guess that would be a good example of a movie that didn't age well.

MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio
Oct 17, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
My Sweetie returned and we went to see Yesterday. Unfortunately, she was so tired for her trip she keep falling asleep during the movie. There were other issues too. They had the movie in Auditorium #12 instead of #9. The movie was practically sold out and we had to sit in the front row. Then our recliners wouldn't work so my Sweetie asked the guy who delivered my hot dog if he would fix them. He tore the whole seats apart but got them working again. I gave him a lot of credit for his efforts because it didn't look easy. I myself had a great time seeing the movie again.
I will wake her up later tonight to watch me light my sparklers. This is a nice 4th.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Last night Mrs. Bag and I saw "Bad Black". It's a movie by Nabwana I.G.G. He's a guy from a slum in Uganda who decided to make movies. He's made 32 (rough estimate) since 2005. He writes, directs, produces, edits, films and does the special effects on all of them. People in the slum act in them and watch them. They are heavily influenced by big budget Hollywood action films, with an emphasis on Schwarzenegger and Chuck Norris. They are presented with a VJ ("video joker") riffing on them. The VJ is a Ugandan tradition, created to explain movies to people without dubbing or subbing.

The slum is called "Wakaliga" and the movie "industry" there is called "Wakaliwood".

"Bad Black" was fantastic. It's the story of a poor orphan girl's ride to power as a crime boss. There are a lot of car chases, kung fu and gun fights. The VJ is hilarious. The special effects are astounding. The budget was well under $100.

We were supposed to see it a couple of months ago but the Museum of Modern Art got an exclusive on it. Alan Hofmanis, actor and co-producer on some of these films, was in attendance. Nabwana couldn't attend because the US won't give him an entry visa. Hofmanis told stories about how these movies are made, showed some trailers for upcoming films and staged an attack by Ebola Hunter on the audience. We all got to die on screen, and the footage could be used in a future Wakaliwood movie.

We also got to Skype with Nabwana. He was charming. His kids were getting ready for school (it was 6 am in Uganda) and all came to his laptop to see a theater full of mzungus in Katy, Texas watching their dad's movie.

He explained that he hadn't seen many of the Hollywood films referenced in his work. His brother saw them and told him the stories.

This was a remarkable event. This man has built a film empire in slum in Kampala, Uganda. He made bricks to make enough money to make movies. Now there are dozens of people working on his films, and people all over the world watching them. On top of seeing this movie, we got to talk to the guy that made it and interact with his world. It was not your average night at the movies.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Friday night I saw "Natural Born Killers" and "A Clockwork Orange". I've loved "Natual Born Killers" since I saw it at the dollar cinema shortly after it was released. It's a big mess of a movie, but it resonates with me. That's my shadow on the wall. And Juliette Lewis gives an amazing performance.

My relationship with "A Clockwork Orange" is more complicated. I read the book in high school, before I saw the movie, and have always disliked some of the choices Kubrick made. I'm the book Alex is infatuated with all sorts of classical music, not just Beethoven, for instance. I can appreciate the Wendy Carlos soundtrack, but I don't think it was the right choice for the film. Alex should be listening to real human orchestras while the other kids listen to bloops and bleeps. Over the years I've grown to enjoy the film more, but I still prefer the book.

Last night Mrs. Bag and I saw "Stuber" at a free advance screening. It's a dumb, fish out of water buddy cop movie starring Kumail Nanjani and Dave Bautista. We both thought it looked dumb but we like Nanjani and Bautista and thought they might be worth watching.

They aren't. "Stuber" is stubid.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
Just came back from watching Spider-Man 2: Far From Home. Another great film in the MCU and the official ending of phase 3. Phase 4 starts sometime next year with no official films names out yet.

I would love to talk about it, but who knows who will see it. But I would recommend watching it and somebody from the original Spider-Man is the film.

Reactions: MadisonRadio1

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Wednesday night I saw "Top Knot Detective". It's a documentary about a low budget Japanese samurai detective/ giant robot/time traveling TV series that became a cult hit in Australia. Only the whole thing is made up and the show never existed.

Most of the comedy is based on making fun of Japanese TV shows, which the rest of the audience laughed at but me not so much. I thought a lot of that humor was just cheap. The documentary recounts the plots of the TV show along with the behind the scenes drama, which involves sex scandal and a gruesome murder. It was all interesting, but it didn't feel entirely successful. The production values are high, and I'm amazed someone funded this thing.