2021 Movies and TV Shows

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
In Treatment is coming back to HBO apparently. I haven't seen it in years but I remember liking it when it first aired. I should try a rewatch to see if it holds up.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I don't cry at movies but I just watched the opening scene of Saving Private Ryan where the old man is visiting the Cemetery and it made me a bit misty.

Without the sacrifice of those men my dad would have starved to death and I wouldn't exist.

Memorial Day truly has meaning to us all.

Last edited:

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
The Friends Reunion on HBO was really good. I watched the show a lot back when it was on, not hardly at all since then. The reunion show was a lot of fun.

Reactions: HecticArt

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
So far, the Kominsky Method is awesome.

We watched the Friends reunion show. Not quite what I thought it was going to be, but it was enjoyable and well done.

I've been watching the History of Late Night series on CNN. Tonight they covered the whole Conan/Leno Tonight Show debacle. I never thought I could regard Leno as more of a fucking asshole than I already did. But now I hate him exponentially more. And the way NBC handled it was worse than I previously knew.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
So far, the Kominsky Method is awesome.
I'll have to put that on our list.
We're working through Dexter and The Boys now.
I've been watching the History of Late Night series on CNN. Tonight they covered the whole Conan/Leno Tonight Show debacle. I never thought I could regard Leno as more of a fucking asshole than I already did. But now I hate him exponentially more.
We've been watching that too. I knew a lot of that stuff, but they keep adding more layers to the story.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I haven't seen Kominski so maybe that will prove me wrong but while there is no doubt Lorre knows how to please an audience...that audience is far from me. He's the guy who knows how to make sitcoms for the flyover states. He's the white, OG Tyler Perry. He found a niche and really figured out how to exploit it over and over. Like with Perry's work, that niche is just not entertaining to me. But they both still deserve respect for figuring it out.

Take a look at his shows:

Nothing to write home about.

Last edited:

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I haven't seen Kominski so maybe that will prove me wrong but while there is no doubt Lorre knows how to please an audience...that audience is far from me. He's the guy who knows how to make sitcoms for the flyover states. He's the white, OG Tyler Perry. He found a niche and really figured out how to exploit it over and over. Like with Perry's work, that niche is just not entertaining to me. But they both still deserve respect for figuring it out.

Take a look at his shows:

Nothing to write home about.
I don't know if I'd agree with the flyover state reference, but if you're insinuating broad humor, I'll give you that. 2 1/2 men and Big Bang Theory are shows with coastal appeal. Mom (which the Mrs and I like) is also closer to urban/suburban life than rural.

Some of the shows have too many cheap laughs and sexual references. And then there's that laugh track. But that's absent from Kominsky, and it's done at a pretty adult level.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Fuck you Hectic.

That's how I start a post about rewatching Band of Brothers because you have said over and over that you watch it yearly and that always reminds me so I'm rewatching it now.

I'm like 8 episodes deep...when they get to the liberating the camp episode I know I'll get misty...but man, the real soldiers at the start of each episode. That by far is the best part. These like real strong guys with their real emotions about what happened is difficult to watch.

They also have the Netherlands episodes which while I don't really consider myself Dutch (I'm an American like all of us), they do ring a bit more true cause I do have that heritage.

I think I'm going to torture myself more and rewatch The Pacific next.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I haven't seen that since it originally aired.

Yup. It's on Max.

It's clearly not as good as Band and maybe it's cause I have more of a personal connection, but man that one got me just as emotional seeing what our guys on the other side went through.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
fuck me dude...it' that episode.

It's a fucking tv show and it still manages to give that sinking feeling of sorrow and despair. And I just sat through like 7 hours of these guys dying horrible deaths and yet it's still harrowing. I mean I know they are all actors but man. This shit is rough. Like really rough.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Did they CGI these people to look like this or have the actors actually starve themselves or put them in some sort of costume? Some sort of camera trick? Cause they are abnormally thin.

Fuck man, this shit really happened.

Sorry for my rant...it makes me think of my dad and I miss the old fucker. He was a trooper.