360l Platform Arrives

IndustrialH

"Not dead... just resting"
SiriusXM Radio has made its debut its long-awaited 360L platform in the new 2019 Fiat Chrysler Ram 1500 truck. Via both satellite and streaming, the “360 degree listening” experience is now accessible through the Ram 1500’s Uconnect 4C NAV with 12-inch display, delivering a personalized listening experience, with more variety, smart content recommendations and on-demand audio.

During the company's October 2017 quarterly earnings call, SiriusXM CEO Jim Meyer explained that with 360L, “It’s going to become really clear how it enhances the content experience, gives us a real link to understand what they’re listening to and what they’ve shown interest in.” He said the two-way platform will improve functionality, allowing users to access time-shifted and on-demand content, as well as more personalized stations and improved sports features.

“The 360L integrations will be deployed slowly across more automakers, eventually yielding troves of information on usage and subscriber preferences that are difficult to obtain through a satellite delivery system,” Meyer told investors in October. “The benefits of enhanced connectivity and 360L will touch every area of our business.”

For users with a SiriusXM All Access subscription, SiriusXM with 360L delivers its full lineup of more than 200 channels, while enabling content recommendations on the touch screen, based on listening preferences. Among exclusive SiriusXM On-Demand programming never before available in the dash, for example, a subscriber listening to one of Howard Stern’s channels live may be presented the option of tuning in to Stern’s recent interview with Bono and The Edge of U2, which in turn may lead to a recommendation for SiriusXM’s adult alternative-formatted The Spectrum channel.

“We think SiriusXM with 360L will revolutionize the way you listen to audio in the car, and we are excited to launch it in the all-new Ram 1500,” said Jim Cady, executive VP of Products, Operations & Connected Vehicle Services at SiriusXM. “SiriusXM with 360L comes along at a time when embedded connectivity is enhancing the in-vehicle entertainment experience for more and more drivers and their passengers. We are using that connectivity to take a giant step forward with our platform, and SiriusXM with 360L improves both our consumer offering and our ability to understand and serve our subscribers. It will also enable us to understand user behavior, and so over time be better at recommendations and discovery across our wide bundle of content.”

Among the benefits of SiriusXM with 360L, according to the company: more channels (now 200+) available, including many previously only available online; access to thousands of hours of recorded on-demand shows, interviews and events in the car; enhanced sports play-by-play that makes it easier to find the listener’s favorite team during game time, and access to official broadcasts for more pro and college teams; smart content recommendations that enable listeners to discover what they love, based on their listening habits; and a new user interface that allows for easy navigation between channels, shows, and both live and recorded content.

In addition, individual listener profiles allow multiple drivers and passengers to customize and maintain their own presets and favorites; profiles can be synced with a listener’s mobile phone to seamlessly access favorites and pick up listening where they left off in the car on select content; users can use their voice to search SiriusXM’s library of content, or they can let “For You” recommendations serve up content choices; subscribers can manage their account, renew their subscription and contact SiriusXM through the touch screen on the dash when their vehicle is parked; and SiriusXM with 360L can receive over the air updates so users can get new features at any time.

Debuting at last week’s Detroit Auto Show, the Ram 1500’s interior offers the new SiriusXM radio, a 4G wifi hotspot, 19 speakers, 900-watt surround sound amp, 10-inch subwoofer, and active noise cancellation design and features.

From Inside Radio 16th January 18

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Sooo it sounds like what the app kind of already has? "You're listening to Lithium. You may like these channels" or is it a bit more big-brother?

This also sounds like the next-generation of in-car radios which will (eventually) please the punk listeners who lost Faction.

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
I'm in the huh? pot too. It does sound like they're trying to capture listeners tendencies and perhaps determine actual rankings? I thought it was more a video upgrade.

IndustrialH

Why do I think there is a relationship to RadioDNS ?

logo-black-main.png

IndustrialH

but wait .... there's more...

JVC and Kenwood Introduce After-Market Head Units
With NextRadio

nextradio-listening-quadrupled-during-2015-promo-image.jpg

TagStation, owner of the NextRadio app, announced April 2 that its hybrid radio app is now available on new JVC and Kenwood head units, putting an interactive, visual AM/FM radio experience into the car dashboard.

The new head units come enabled with Abalta Technologies' WebLink software platform, so that when a driver connects a smartphone to a JVC or Kenwood WebLink-compatible head unit, the phone's Internet connection allows NextRadio for WebLink to download album art, station logos and other images to the head unit screen. Local AM/FM radio broadcast audio comes over-the-air via the head unit's tuner.

The WebLink for JVC and WebLink for Kenwood applications are available for download in the Android Marketplace and Apple App Store. Once the app is downloaded and Internet connection established, drivers can use NextRadio and other apps, including popular traffic and navigation app Waze.

"We are excited to be the first enhanced AM/FM radio experience in the connected car through our relationship with JVCKENWOOD," said Paul Brenner, President at NextRadio. "The ability to provide an interactive, in-car experience is a huge victory for the radio industry and offers a great experience for radio listeners."

"As we continue to build out all aspects of the connected car experience within our WebLink platform, we are prioritizing those apps that generate the greatest mobile experiences for everyday drivers. That includes Waze, Yelp, YouTube, Weather and NextRadio," said Michael O'Shea, CEO and founder of Abalta Technologies. "NextRadio represents the evolution of radio that consumers expect, and provides an in-dash visual experience like no other."

Model numbers for the JVC and Kenwood head units that support WebLink can be found at NextRadioApp.com.

Reactions: HecticArt

phillyphan

Oct 11, 2008
Philly area
I just got a 2019 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT with a Radio 430 (I think). I transferred my SiriusXM sub, but I haven't figured out how to pair my Samsung Galaxy A32 5G T-Mobile smartphone as of yet. I don't know anything about Uconnect. I assume this model does not have NAV capability. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks