50 of Aaron's favorite songs

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
Inspired by IRBS's post today about how he got into music:

I was born in January 1976, but I've been really interested in music as long as I can remember, so my early music memories begin in the early 80's.
My parents are big music fans also, so in the 80's I listened to whatever was Top 40 at the time. But my parents, being children of the 60's also played a lot of oldies radio. So the music I liked as a kid was 80's pop and 50's and 60's hits. I remember one New Year's Eve when I was around 10, the radio station played a Top 100 hits of the 1960's - and I was hooked, just listened to the entire thing, and asked all kind of questions to know more about the artists. Also back in the 80's, Friday Night Videos were a big thing, so another way of knowing what the hits were of the time.

Early 90's I was listening to the hits of the day, but not quite as much, because pop hits of the late 80's and early 90's weren't as good, as we seem to all agree, as the years before. I watched a good bit of MTV back then, when they still played music, so I got interested in a lot of the grunge and alternative that played.

College years - mid-to-late 90's - this is when I discovered Classic Rock. Big time, like listened to music all day long if I wasn't in class, just learning about the artists, studying up on the music charts, reading bios of the artists. I spent pretty much the whole year of 1996 listening to Beatles music. Every last one of their albums over and over. I still love a lot of Classic Rock and Arena Rock, but like I've mentioned, a lot of it I listened to so much, I rather hear other things now.

When I got Sirius in 2005, that opened up a lot new sounds. New Wave being the big thing. I view the 80's channel as the songs I grew up listening to, and First Wave as the 80's songs I didn't. So now I listen way more to First Wave than the 80's on 8, because the songs are newer to me.

Singer/Songwriter hits of the 70's are some of my favorites. I love The Bridge - Jackson Browne, Carly Simon, Jim Croce, Bread, Joni Mitchell.

Probably more than anyone here (as best I can tell), I love old Soul music. I probably got that from my mom, she's a big Motown fan. I can listen to Soul Town for hours. Al Green, Temptations, O'Jays, Delfonics, Stylistics, James Brown, etc. Give me some Philly Soul and I'm happy.

I also like a lot of pre-Rock music. The great Standards. Sinatra, Dean Martin, Perry Como, Bing Crosby.

You guys threads are helping me fill in the gaps of other stuff I need to check out, so I appreciate that.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
Inspired by IRBS's post today about how he got into music:

I was born in January 1976, but I've been really interested in music as long as I can remember, so my early music memories begin in the early 80's.
My parents are big music fans also, so in the 80's I listened to whatever was Top 40 at the time. But my parents, being children of the 60's also played a lot of oldies radio. So the music I liked as a kid was 80's pop and 50's and 60's hits. I remember one New Year's Eve when I was around 10, the radio station played a Top 100 hits of the 1960's - and I was hooked, just listened to the entire thing, and asked all kind of questions to know more about the artists. Also back in the 80's, Friday Night Videos were a big thing, so another way of knowing what the hits were of the time.

Early 90's I was listening to the hits of the day, but not quite as much, because pop hits of the late 80's and early 90's weren't as good, as we seem to all agree, as the years before. I watched a good bit of MTV back then, when they still played music, so I got interested in a lot of the grunge and alternative that played.

College years - mid-to-late 90's - this is when I discovered Classic Rock. Big time, like listened to music all day long if I wasn't in class, just learning about the artists, studying up on the music charts, reading bios of the artists. I spent pretty much the whole year of 1996 listening to Beatles music. Every last one of their albums over and over. I still love a lot of Classic Rock and Arena Rock, but like I've mentioned, a lot of it I listened to so much, I rather hear other things now.

When I got Sirius in 2005, that opened up a lot new sounds. New Wave being the big thing. I view the 80's channel as the songs I grew up listening to, and First Wave as the 80's songs I didn't. So now I listen way more to First Wave than the 80's on 8, because the songs are newer to me.

Singer/Songwriter hits of the 70's are some of my favorites. I love The Bridge - Jackson Browne, Carly Simon, Jim Croce, Bread, Joni Mitchell.

Probably more than anyone here (as best I can tell), I love old Soul music. I probably got that from my mom, she's a big Motown fan. I can listen to Soul Town for hours. Al Green, Temptations, O'Jays, Delfonics, Stylistics, James Brown, etc. Give me some Philly Soul and I'm happy.

I also like a lot of pre-Rock music. The great Standards. Sinatra, Dean Martin, Perry Como, Bing Crosby.

You guys threads are helping me fill in the gaps of other stuff I need to check out, so I appreciate that.
For me my parents and sisters are responsible for a lot of my music tastes, at least the early stuff. My folks listened to a lot of older country, and oldies, including Motown. I don't have a lot , of (any?) Motown in my top 100 but once I get the 200-101 list posted you'll see quite a bit. They're also responsible for my love of Johnny Cash.

My sisters were into stuff like Heart, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, Ted Nugent, Def Leppard, all over the map really. And of course my friends over the years were the metal heads. Once out of high school into my younger years I started getting more into 90's-2000's country including but not limited to early Garth Brooks (don't ask!), George Strait, Alan Jackson, Alabama and early Reba McEntire, who I actually met when was 9 years old. Nice lady, although Im not sure I really knew who she was then. My interest in country started to wane in 2000's, then the Dixie Chicks came along. Nothing else on the radio was anywhere close to what they were doing with Country music at the time (although I've heard the new album and it's kinda crap!). I also discovered Outlaw Country thanks to XM Radio's X-Country, and found bands/artists like Shooter Jennings (Waylon's kid), The Drive-by Truckers and lots more where that came from. Also got reintroduced to the classic country my folks listened to. I still listen to Sirius and their Outlaw Country channel is really good.

On my own I picked up a lot of stuff, Jazz, Alternative/Indie Rock, Old School Rap, and even Classical music. Still listen to a lot of artists I grew up on. And even at 45 years old (born February '75) I"ll still get into new stuff, in fact I've been digging a lot of the stuff that's been coming out of Colorado nowadays, (Lumineers, Nathaniel Rateliff, Big Head Todd and the Monsters and the Fray). Also bands like Fitz and the Tantrums, Arctic Monkeys, The Black Keys, and others like them.

Last edited:

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
They were more than just a surf rock group...

My favorites of the Beach Boys:

In My Room
Surfer Girl
Don't Worry Baby
Busy Doin' Nothing
Caroline, No
Do It Again
Feel Flows
Wouldn't It Be Nice
God Only Knows
When I Grow Up to be a Man
You Still Believe in Me
I Just Wasn't Made for These Times

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
One of my favorite artists, but the radio mostly plays 'Heart of Gold'

Neil Young

12. Don't Let It Bring You Down
11. Long May You Run
10. Cinnamon Girl
9. Ohio (with CSN&Y)
8. Heart of Gold
7. Old Man
6. After the Gold Rush
5. Cortez the Killer
4. Everybody Knows this is Nowhere
3. My My, Hey Hey (Out of the Blue)
2. Harvest Moon
1. The Needle and the Damage Done

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
A Canadian artist was actually allowed to sample Young's song ten year ago, which I believe is rare?

“Old Man” was written by Mark ‘Kazzer’ Kasprzyk about a falling out he’d had with his father, originally set to be titled “Hardworking Hands”.

Kazzer heard Neil Young’s 1972 song “Old Man” on the radio one day and was inspired to write this song, with no plans of ever releasing it. However, when his record label heard it and loved it, they reached out to Young’s people for permission to sample his original track. It was rejected initially, without Young even listening to Kazzer’s song. But when the president of Hollywood Records convinced him to listen, Young approved Redlight King’s use of his recording.

It reached the top 20 on two Canadian rock charts, and the top 30 on three US rock charts in 2011.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
I gave it some thought. If I was to do a Jon style listing of my top 25 artists (bands and solo acts), this would be it:
(It's okay if you want to snicker at how bland my list must look)

25. Elton John
24. Rolling Stones
23. Bob Dylan
22. Temptations
21. Beach Boys
20. Eagles
19. Simon & Garfunkel
18. Rod Stewart
17. Neil Young
16. Michael Jackson
15. Journey
14. Hall & Oates
13. Marvin Gaye
12. Chicago
11. Paul McCartney
10. Jimi Hendrix
9. Bee Gees
8. Crosby, Stills, Nash (& Young)
7. The Cars
6. Bruce Springsteen
5. Pink Floyd
4. Fleetwood Mac
3. Billy Joel
2. Led Zeppelin
1. The Beatles

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
There is a Latin expression, "De gustibus non est disputandum." It means "There can be no disputes regarding matters of taste." I am not going to snicker, Mister Aaron, nor am I going to say your list is bland.

But why isn't Elvis Presley on it???

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
There is a Latin expression, "De gustibus non est disputandum." It means "There can be no disputes regarding matters of taste." I am not going to snicker, Mister Aaron, nor am I going to say your list is bland.

But why isn't Elvis Presley on it???

I like Elvis. I'll do a top songs list soon.

Reactions: sadchild

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
Beatles time.

I need to preface this with a few comments.
These songs are not what I'd necessarily consider to be their "best" songs. And they were not necessarily my favorite songs 20+ years ago when I went through almost a year where I listened to all their albums constantly. These are the songs that are either not burnt out to me now, or if they are I love them the most anyway.

Top dozen favorites, in alphabetical order:

A Day in the Life
Don't Let Me Down
For No One
Happiness is a Warm Gun
Here Comes the Sun
If I Fell
I'll Follow the Sun
In My Life
Norwegian Wood
Sexy Sadie
She Said She Said
Something

+ Abbey Road medley

Honorable mentions:

Across the Universe
All My Loving
And I Love Her
Baby You're a Rich Man
Because
Blackbird (a song I can play on guitar!)
Eleanor Rigby
Get Back
Help!
Here, There, & Everywhere
I am the Walrus
I Feel Fine
I Will
I'm So Tired
Let It Be
Michelle
Nowhere Man
Rain
Real Love
Revolution
Strawberry Fields Forever
Till There Was You
What You're Doing
While My Guitar Gently Weeps

+ many other songs

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
For those of you with offspring... did your kids inherit your passion for music?

Mine did. She listens to music just about all the time that she's not in school. Makes playlists.

When she was younger we never told her that Sirius had Radio Disney or anything like that, so she ended up liking a lot of my favorites from the 70s and 80s. But she also has a lot of favorites from the 2000s, artists I only know because she tells me. Lemon Demon looks to be her current favorite. There's also MGMT, Tally Hall, and Jack Stauber

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
For those of you with offspring... did your kids inherit your passion for music?

Mine did. She listens to music just about all the time that she's not in school. Makes playlists.

When she was younger we never told her that Sirius had Radio Disney or anything like that, so she ended up liking a lot of my favorites from the 70s and 80s. But she also has a lot of favorites from the 2000s, artists I only know because she tells me. Lemon Demon looks to be her current favorite. There's also MGMT, Tally Hall, and Jack Stauber
My son has inherited both my taste and his mother's taste in music. He also has developed some of his won. He likes some c-rap stuff and current stuff. But he likes a lot of the stuff I like. He has come to dislike a couple of my favourites too. He just queues his stuff up on youtube mainly. But he does have playlists.

My oldest daughter has simular taste in music to me (hard rock and 90s alternative). My middle daughter is more country like my wife.