50 of Aaron's favorite songs

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
My son has inherited both my taste and his mother's taste in music. He also has developed some of his won.
Same. He likes my electronic rock and new wave a lot. When he was younger, he liked a lot of instrumental and showtune-ish stuff my wife likes, but not so much anymore - stuff like Wicked, Seussical, Cirque Du Soleil... On his own he was into dubstep, then downtempo EDM (chillwave), now it's video game music - any beepy-boopy song that's featured in a video game ranging from Wii games to current stuff.

Reactions: HecticArt and Aaron

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Same. He likes my electronic rock and new wave a lot. When he was younger, he liked a lot of instrumental and showtune-ish stuff my wife likes, but not so much anymore - stuff like Wicked, Seussical, Cirque Du Soleil... On his own he was into dubstep, then downtempo EDM (chillwave), now it's video game music - any beepy-boopy song that's featured in a video game ranging from Wii games to current stuff.
It was the car radio soundtrack on GTA that got my son into Bob Segar (not his dad's listening to him). That is why Hollywood Nights and Night Moves are his favourites as those are the songs on the car radio.

Reactions: Aaron and sadchild

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Aaron mentioned Radio Disney. We never listened to that. We did listen to Kids Place Live. That is not a bad channel. They do have some good songs even for parents. I think they throw a couple in there so we don't go completely insane. Or he listened to my music.

Reactions: Aaron

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
When Radio Disney launched in 1996, they played songs from Disney movies and animated films, children's songs, television theme songs, pop oldies and novelty songs. They also had a lot of games and contests and story readings. Radio Disney eventually evolved into a "family-friendly" top-40 station with an emphasis on Disney Channel stars such as Hilary Duff, Lindsay Lohan, Zac Efron, Ross Lynch, Ashley Tisdale, Vanessa Hudgens, Demi Lovato, Kyle Massey, Mitchell Musso, Sabrina Carpenter, Allstar Weekend, the Cheetah Girls and the Jonas Brothers.

I posted a sample of the Kids Place Live playlist at

Go look!

Reactions: Aaron and sadchild

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
We did listen to Kids Place Live.
Same. Somewhere I have a recording of Absolutely Mindy wishing my son a happy birthday on her 'birthday missions' list of the day.

I still listen to a few songs I first heard on Kids Place Live, like "William Tell Momisms", "Walk Around The Block" and "Crazy ABCs".

No Radio Disney for us. And none of that channel that has kids re-singing the hits either.

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
For those of you with offspring... did your kids inherit your passion for music?

Mine did. She listens to music just about all the time that she's not in school. Makes playlists.

When she was younger we never told her that Sirius had Radio Disney or anything like that, so she ended up liking a lot of my favorites from the 70s and 80s. But she also has a lot of favorites from the 2000s, artists I only know because she tells me. Lemon Demon looks to be her current favorite. There's also MGMT, Tally Hall, and Jack Stauber
Somewhere there's a video of my stepson and 3-year old older daughter dancing to Smells Like Teen Spirit in '91. She played baritone horn and trombone in the school bands. I think that has an influence, as they learn about classical music and jazz and stuff. She eventually got into Coheed and Cambria, and then went off the deep end with underground drama rock. She absolutely hated that popular Santana album that had Smooth with Rob Thomas.

My younger daughter likes some of the alternative/indie music I listen to, and also The Beatles and U2. We also used to take her to see James Taylor, and she saw Dave Mathews Band with me. She has a thing for Japanese culture, so she listens to some of that music. She sang in the chorus, so she appreciates singers like Regina Spektor and Florence Welch (Florence & the Machine). She was also really into Snow Patrol.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
She has a thing for Japanese culture, so she listens to some of that music.
That reminds me, my son likes some EDM from Japan. The big one he liked last year was Acutic Notes. Hard to find anything well-organized, just random YouTube posts from unorganized fans. He learned about this artist from the VR game Beat Saber.

This, I assume, is the official website?

acutic.jpg

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
By popular demand (or maybe not) here is my list of favorite Bob Dylan songs.

Like a Rolling Stone
Visions of Johanna
Shelter from the Storm
Girl from the North Country
Tangled Up in Blue
Just Like a Woman
Knocking on Heaven's Door
Forever Young
The Hurricane
All Along the Watchtower (Hendrix did it better but I like the original also)

Others:
Lay Lady Lay
Ballad of a Thin Man
Make You Feel My Love
Mr Tambourine Man

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
I appreciate Dylan the same way I appreciate Joni Mitchell. Incredible songwriter, but not into their performances so much. I prefer when others do covers of their music.

Hendrix "All Along The Watchtower" (I like it better too)
Red Hot Chili Peppers "Subterranean Homesick Blues"
Indigo Girls "Tangled Up In Blue" (Live on 1200 Curfews)
Edie Brickell "A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall"

and local troubadour Adam Ezra "Don't Think Twice"

Reactions: HecticArt and Aaron