A Tribe Called Quest Documentary

Discussion in 'Hip Hop, R&B, Old School' started by j_mact, Jul 28, 2011.

1. j_mact

j_mact New Member

2. geosync

geosync Well-Known Member

It opens in my hood tomorrow. Plan to see it in the evening with my Tribe buddies. Let ya know Monday!

3. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

I haven't been paying attention. I didn't realize it was coming out. It sounds pretty cool.

4. beaniemac

beaniemac Well-Known Member

I have had it for a few months. I liked it tho. phife really tried to make tip look like the bad guy. phife also came off as kinda jealous as well.

5. geosync

K, saw it a week late but here goes J Mact. Overall, it's a solid if not great documentary. The film focuses the relationship between Qtip and Phife, their eventual beef, and dissolving of the group. Sort of. It hardly asks what Ali Shaheed thinks, but does explain Jarobi's history and contributions in the group. I think I understand Qtip's anger with the film, as if he was unaware the bickering between the two stars would be so plainly laid out in film form. I didn't think the focus was sharp enough, nor the time spent on the acts' early recording output was highlighted well enough. Rapapart used some live footage, and some archived footage to good effect, but would play the first 20 seconds of a song, and fade it back just as you're getting into it. Hard to watch, one of your favorite rap acts devolve into petty fights, and decades long grudges. Made me just want to listen to the music, and never watch the documentary again. Also, at 97 minutes, it's long for what it accomplished.

6. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Great review. Sounds good, but I'm much less motivated to track it down now.

7. geosync

Nah, go see it. It's not all bad, and the first half is very good what with the archival footage.

8. j_mact

j_mact New Member

Thanks

Thanks for the info! It comes out in my city this weekend, so I will definitely check it out! Tribe is my favorite group all-time, and I regret to this day that I missed an opportunity to see them perform back in the mid 90's.... I am forever hopeful they will reunite and go on tour!

9. geosync

Me too dude. They played their farewell tour here in my city with the Beasties. I didn't go thinking I'd get another shot . . . . .