Air America to cease broadcasting immediately, files for Bankruptcy

Discussion in 'HD (Terrestrial) Radio' started by Jon, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

Air America to Cease Broadcasting Immediately
    By BRIAN STELTER
    Air America, the progressive talk radio network, said Thursday that it would cease broadcasting immediately, bowing to what it called a “very difficult economic environment.â€

“It is with the greatest regret, on behalf of our Board, that we must announce that Air America Media is ceasing its live programming operations as of this afternoon, and that the Company will file soon under Chapter 7 of the Bankruptcy Code to carry out an orderly winding-down of the business,†the chair of Air America Media, Charlie Kireker, said in a memorandum.

His statement was published on AirAmerica.com.

The news did not come as a total surprise to staffers. The company, which has more than 100 affiliates, has suffered from financial troubles since it was founded in 2004. The company first filed for bankruptcy protection in 2006, but managed to stay on the air at that time.

Starting at 6 p.m. Eastern on Thursday, listeners will hear encore programming until Jan. 25, “at which time Air America programming will end,†Mr. Kireker said.

Air America to Cease Broadcasting Immediately - Media Decoder Blog - NYTimes.com

2. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

http://airamerica.com/

It is with the greatest regret, on behalf of our Board, that we must announce that Air America Media is ceasing its live programming operations as of this afternoon, and that the Company will file soon under Chapter 7 of the Bankruptcy Code to carry out an orderly winding-down of the business.

The very difficult economic environment has had a significant impact on Air America's business. This past year has seen a "perfect storm" in the media industry generally. National and local advertising revenues have fallen drastically, causing many media companies nationwide to fold or seek bankruptcy protection. From large to small, recent bankruptcies like Citadel Broadcasting and closures like that of the industry's long-time trade publication Radio and Records have signaled that these are very difficult and rapidly changing times.

Those companies that remain are facing audience fragmentation as a result of new media technologies, are often saddled with crushing debt, and have generally found it difficult to obtain operating or investment capital from traditional sources of funding. In this climate, our painstaking search for new investors has come close several times right up into this week, but ultimately fell short of success.

With radio industry ad revenues down for 10 consecutive quarters, and reportedly off 21% in 2009, signs of improvement have consisted of hoping things will be less bad. And though Internet/new media revenues are projected to grow, our expanding online efforts face the same monetization and profitability challenges in the short term confronting the Web operations of most media companies

When Air America Radio launched in April, 2004 with already-known personalities like Al Franken and then-unknown future stars like Rachel Maddow, it was the only full-time progressive voice in the mainstream broadcast media world. At a critical time in our nation's history — when dissent on issues such as the Iraq war were often denounced as "un-American" — Air America and its talented team helped millions of Americans remember the importance of compelling discussion about the most pivotal events and decisions of our generation.

Through some 100 radio outlets nationwide, Air America helped build a new sense of purpose and determination among American progressives. With this revival, the progressive movement made major gains in the 2006 mid-term elections and, more recently, in the election of President Barack Obama and a strongly Democratic Congress.

Laws have changed for the better thanks to this revival.....but all the same our company cannot escape the laws of economics. So we intend a rapid, orderly closure over the next few days. All current employees will be paid through today, January 21. A severance package will be offered tomorrow to full-time current employees with more than six months of tenure.

We will strive to assist affiliates and partners in achieving a smooth transition. Starting at 6 pm EST today, we will provide our affiliates, listeners and users a selection of encore programming until 9 pm EST on Monday, January 25, at which time Air America programming will end.

We are proud that Air America's mission lives on through the words and actions of so many former radio hosts who are active today in progressive causes and media nationwide. In the years ahead, as we look back, we should all be proud of our passionate determination to assure that our nation's progressive voice would be heard loud and clear. Through the hard work and dedication of current staff, and those who preceded you, a lasting legacy was forged which will now continue through other voices and venues.

Thank you.

3. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

Bye bye :wave:

4. blyons200

blyons200 These pretzels are making me thirsty.

Here come the calls for the Fairness Doctrine again.

5. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

I don't they are out of business because it was liberal radio, mostly because the people running it couldn't be trusted to run a hot dog stand. And most affiliates run content from other liberal networks, plus it's big stars are gone. Franken is in the senate, Maddow is on MSNBC.

6. flap_jackson

flap_jackson Well-Known Member

Randi Rhodes moved to Talk Radio, XM 165, so since then I've had no remote reason to even look at the station.

7. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

I think WHERE we get this sort of content from is becoming irrelevant. Look at people like Leo Laporte who runs an entire empire off podcasting, and Adam Carolla.

8. VinnyM27

VinnyM27 Active Member

Well is it fair that when I drove through Ohio over Christmas that I heard Rush's replacement on at least 3 different stations!

9. flap_jackson

Then why don't you get Sat Rad, or did you not have it on your drive?

10. geosync

geosync Well-Known Member

Ouch. The other day I flipped on AM radio in my area, and I couldn't help but stumble onto a conservative talk leaning show. Petulant, ill-mannered show hosts was the majority of what I heard. I also heard a bunch of poorly argued viewpoints, and not many like what could be heard on Air America.

11. flap_jackson

AM Talk Radio is the poster child why anybody that listens to radio should have satalite radio. The stuff they put on AM is simply pathetic.

12. blyons200

Well it's quite obvious Air America should of been beating the pants of the competitors with their superior programming. Must be some kind of a right wing conspiracy to keep the progressives down. Damn Corporate radio stations. There should be more to radio than actually hiring talent that brings in listeners, and therefore advertising dollars. It's all about the money, damn the people.:rolleyes::jj:

13. blyons200

I have satrad, an ipod, and and iphone. I have so many listening choices that I never have an excuse to not have something to listen too. Though I admit if I'm in an area with Neal Boortz on AM radio I will listen.

14. kingchuck69

kingchuck69 Joker! Joker! Joker!

Another factor too is the fact that the majority of liberal talk stations are on weak signals while Rush and Hannity are on 50KW blowtorches.

15. ctkatz

ctkatz Member

progressive talkers have generated ratings and a following. and it does work in some markets. the problem is that corporate owned radio conglomerates are loathe to put on content that is mostly against what they stand for. thom hartmann says that he was doing very well in atlanta on atlanta's progressive station, but the station owners were approached by either the catholic church (or some other religious faction) or a bunch of businessmen, sold off the station and the new owners promptly flipped formats. progtalk can't work where it can't be heard.

take a look at where i am. louisville, ky is a union town with two ford plants and a ups hub and a democratic mayor the last 25 years and a progressive us congressman but 3.5 conservative stations, 3 religious stations and not one hour of progressive talk. it could work here but people aren't willing to give it a shot for whatever reason.

16. limegrass69

limegrass69 Confused

This is not about politics, as much as it is about creating entertaining radio. Entertaining radio usually results in revenue generation which is what the radio business is about.

Rush and Hannity are entertainers before all else. They create programming that attracts listeners, and then consequently, advertisers.

Air America did none of this.

Believe me, if Air America produced programming that was even remotely entertaining and engaging, it would be a different outcome. Don't think a big 50 kW AM station would shun Air America programming if they thought the content was capable of generating the revenue that the can with programming like Rush or Hannity. There isn't a political agenda...there is a financial agenda. I think the "political agenda" excuse is just there to rationalize a failed business.

17. xan_user

xan_user Banned

lies sell better than the truth.

this is news?

18. geosync

geosync Well-Known Member

Yeah I get it, it is sad though. Neal Boortz was one of the hosts I heard. He was all right, but just that type of radio is so exclusionary. It's "we're right, they're wrong" kind of stuff. It's a harmful platform to take, IMO. I like to listen to it though, just to see what people are not only saying but hearing.

19. flap_jackson

Glenn Beck was HIGHLY entertaining on the radio before he was on TV. Where do you think my username and avatar comes from? Nowadays, a little bit entertaining, but now it's mostly serious gibberish, depending on his mood. Hannity and Rush were never entertaining in my opinion.

20. limegrass69

limegrass69 Confused

I think the concept of what constitutes "entertainment" is pretty subjective.
    I don't have a horse in the game, and I'm not a fan of any of these guys.
    The point is, that there is a mass appeal of the more successful talkers like Rush and Hannity. I'm not saying that I endorse (or don't endorse) their point of view, I'm just pointing out the fact that their programs continue to exist and draw sponsors year after year.
    The Air America hosts never managed to garner any sort of material following for a sustained period of time. Certainly not enough time where the programming became attractive to sponsors.
    It's easy to blame management and crappy signals, but I think the problem ran much deeper than that.