Amazon announces Cloud Drive

Discussion in 'Other MP3 Players' started by memebag, Mar 29, 2011.

1. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/learnmore

5GB of free storage at Amazon, accessible anywhere, with a Cloud Player MP3 app to play songs from a web page or Android app.

The rates are too high for me ($100/year for 100GB), but it's a cool idea. I'll use the free 5GB for document sharing.

blueneon36 and Bandwagon03 like this.
  2. Casual Fan

Casual Fan Surprisingly nice

Sweet. I can back up all of my business files to it. Just a bunch of Word docs.

3. Bandwagon03

Bandwagon03 Well-Known Member

Very Nice, already signed up.

4. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

I wonder why they don't offer an iOS app.

5. blueneon36

blueneon36 Active Member

I will be doing this later today.

Backing up some word docs as well.

Thanks for the heads up, MeMeBag. +1 for you.

6. limegrass69

limegrass69 Confused

I use Google for paid storage. I have all of my photos and videos backed up there. It's cheaper than Amazon.

7. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Amazon, for the moment, hasn't lost user data yet. Google had a problem with that not too long ago
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. jef

jef Power Pig, Hello!

Wonder if the method they use to handle their player breaks some dumb Steve-rule on the iOS devices. Or, maybe the iPod Touch devices add in a layer of extra coding since this would break when not near a wireless access point.

I actually see this working better for my MacBook Air - frees up some precious space on the SSD.

9. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Can Google save any kind of data, or just stuff that works with Google apps?

10. limegrass69

limegrass69 Confused

As far as I know you can drop anything you want in there. There are file size limitations, though.

11. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

How do you get to that? All I see is storage via Google Docs and Google Apps.

12. limegrass69

limegrass69 Confused

If you go to Google Docs, you click on the upload docs button, then you can either browse your computer, or drag and drop files into a queue.

13. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

I use google docs to sync spreadsheets with an app on my iPhone. Its totally cool (in a geek sort of way). I don't even have to sync -- just have a WiFi/3G connection.

I would also use this space if there was an iOS app. But I already have a 16Gb memory stick for backups.

14. Casual Fan

Casual Fan Surprisingly nice

You used to be able to use gmail as a "google drive" but I think Google kept breaking the software.

15. ProperModulation

ProperModulation Green Type of Tube

if you want good, free cloud storage for stuff like docs you should try out dropbox. I love that it syncs between any computers you choose, as well as your phone. you get 2gb free but they have paid plans for more storage.

16. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Do they have MP3 player smartphone apps that play from the cloud? That's why I put this thread in this forum. I've got lots of ways to share data, but this is 5GB of music I can play from any of my devices (excluding iOS).

17. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

They'd have to get it past his Steveness first, and since Amazon is direct competition I don't see it happening. But they have loosened up their rules lately, I could be surprised.

18. ProperModulation

No, but people were mentioning using it for doc storage so I threw dropbox out there as an alternative. I might give this a try, but I prefer local content to streamed content; especially if it's just 5gb. Most people can easily fit 5gb of music on their phone or player. Seems to me that it would be a PITA to manage a 5gb music collection in the cloud versus locally on a hard drive.

19. ProperModulation

I just logged in and it seems pretty cool for storage.

20. mrpacs

mrpacs Well-Known Member

Apparently there is a workaround for iOS users:

"there is a way to play songs on an iOS device from Amazon’s service: you hit the option to download them. This essentially downloads the MP3 file from Amazon’s server and uses Safari’s built-in player to play it. Not exactly ideal, but it does work — with AirPlay too!"

Amazon Cloud Player Doesn’t Work On iOS ? But It’s Not A Flash Issue