Apple Smart Watch

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Wolf, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Wolf

Wolf Manspreading on DRC

NYT: Apple Is Developing A Curved-Glass Smart Watch

Apple is working on an iWatch, Nick Bilton at the New York Times reports.

The "smart watch," as Bilton calls it, uses curved glass to bend to people's wrists.

It's unclear where Apple is in terms of actual development. Bilton doesn't have a timetable for release, or even a set of features.

He simply reports:

In its headquarters in Cupertino, Calif., Apple is experimenting with wristwatch-like devices made of curved glass, according to people familiar with the company’s explorations, who spoke on the condition that they not be named because they are not allowed to publicly discuss unreleased products. Such a watch would operate Apple’s iOS platform, two people said, and stand apart from competitors based on the company’s understanding of how such glass can curve around the human body.

There has been a steady increase in the noise around Apple making an iWatch for the past few months.

While it's nowhere near as exciting as a full-blown Apple television, it's a much easier gadget for Apple to make. Unlike with a TV, Apple doesn't need to get cable companies and content companies on board. It can just make an iWatch.

If Apple does release such a device, we don't expect it to be a blockbuster product like the iPhone or the iPad, at least not in terms of Apple's top or bottom lines.

We would expect it to be an experimental project for Apple. An iWatch would be a watch in the same way that an iPhone is a phone. It would really be a wearable computer. Nike's fitness tracking gadget, the Fuelband, as well as Jawbone's UP, are showing that there is a market for wearable computers.

An iWatch that works with the iPhone could provide the user with more information about their daily activities while at the same time providing a super quick way to check email and text messages.

Down the road, some people believe that "wearable computers" can replace smartphones as the next big thing. An iWatch would be Apple's entry point to see what people want, just like the current Apple TV is an experiment to figure out what people want with a digital TV.

2. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

An iWatch would be huge. Much bigger than this article imagines. Apple would do it right.

I've pre-ordered a Pebble. Can't wait to write apps for it.

3. TX WJ

TX WJ Intelligent Donkey

I think a IOS watch would be cool.

4. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

Ironic that it was my iPhone that caused me to not wear a watch once the wristband broke.

5. kryptonite

kryptonite Well-Known Member

I probably wouldn't buy an iWatch, but I still wear a watch. I don't want to fumble with getting my phone out of my pocket, get it out of sleep mode, and get distracted by the texts and other things just to see what time it is.

6. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Would you buy an iWatch if it looked more beautiful than your current watch and flashed notifications from texts, email, etc. from your phone? And you could swap watch faces whenever you wanted?

7. jef

jef Power Pig, Hello!

I'd be into it, at least some of the time. The Pebble looked interesting, but I wasn't completely sure how well they would be able to integrate into iOS.

I'd probably still like a nice analog watch most days I think, but am intrigued where this segment might be going.

[​IMG]

8. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

I found there is time all over the place in addition to the phone. The phone was the last piece.

9. blyons200

blyons200 These pretzels are making me thirsty.

The only time I wear a watch is when I dress nice. For me watches are all form, not functionI don't seem to have as difficult of a time as others pulling my phone out of my pocket and swiping the face to check messages.

10. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

Only time will tell if they come out with one. (See what I did there?)

11. Wolf

Wolf Manspreading on DRC

I think it time for a timeout for you!

12. Wolf

Wolf Manspreading on DRC

iWatch Reportedly Entering Production in Small Quantities Ahead of Fall 2014 Launch - Mac Rumors

Apple's suppliers have already begun producing the iWatch in small quantities, according to supply chain sources cited by China Times via G for Games, ahead of a prospective launch during the second half of 2014.

Echoing an earlier report from notable analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, the site's sources also suggest the iWatch will take advantage of a system-in-package (SiP) design that allows a multitude of chips to be placed on a single module. This could allow Apple to the fit multiple sensors rumored for the smart watch into a tiny area while keeping the device small enough to be worn comfortably on the wrist.

Rumors have indicated Apple's iWatch will contain several different biometric sensors allowing it to track health-related statistics like heart rate, sleep quality, movement, and more. The sensors will aggregate data that will be stored in a rumored "Healthbook" application, slated for inclusion in iOS 8.

Along with including health sensors, the iWatch will likely function similarly to other smart watches on the market, integrating with the iPhone and iPad to provide notifications and quick access to frequently used apps and services.

Apple's iWatch is expected to ship in two different sizes to accommodate different sized wrists and it may also come in multiple price points and materials. According to recent reports, Apple's iWatch could make an appearance as soon as September, but a solid launch date remains unclear.

13. Wolf

Wolf Manspreading on DRC

Apple's 'iWatch' Said to Arrive in Separate 1.7- and 1.3-Inch Display Sizes for Men and Women - Mac Rumors

Last month, NPD DisplaySearch analyst David Hsieh offered an overview of Apple's display plans for future devices, based on sources in the company's supply chain. Among the products included in Hsieh's analysis was Apple's long-rumored "iWatch" smart watch device, with Hsieh only briefly noting that Apple appeared to be looking to source both 1.3-inch and 1.63-inch flexible AMOLED displays with resolutions of 320 x 320 pixels.

According to the Korea Herald (via Unwired View), Hsieh offered a few additional details on Apple's plans at a conference today, noting that the company will be using the two sizes to offer watches targeting men with a larger 1.7-inch display and women with a smaller 1.3-inch option.Apple’s wearable iWatch is expected to come with a 1.7-inch OLED display for men’s watches and a 1.3-inch OLED screen for women, David Hsieh, DisplaySearch’s Vice President of the Greater China Market, said at a conference today in Taiwan, citing Apple sources. [...]

It is yet to be confirmed whether the displays will be flexible but sources said it was a possibility, since Apple will want to upstage Samsung’s Galaxy Gear.Separate from Hsieh's comments, the report claims that Apple could introduce the iWatch as soon as late this year, but that appears to be extremely unlikely given that it is already mid-November and that recent rumors have pointed to a late 2014 timeframe for launch.

Just days ago, fellow NPD DisplaySearch analyst Paul Gagnon noted that Apple appears to have put its major television product plans on hold for the time being in order to focus on wearables such as the iWatch. Apple's ambitious TV plans have reportedly been stymied by difficult negotiations with content providers, with the company feeling that it needs to have the content side in place before being able to offer something more substantial than the current Apple TV box on the hardware side.

14. Wolf

Wolf Manspreading on DRC

iWatch to Come in Two Sizes With 'Fashionable Appearance', Top End to Cost 'Several Thousand' Dollars - Mac Rumors

In a 2014 product roadmap that outlines all of Apple's plans for the year, KGI Securities analyst Ming Chi Kuo revealed his predictions for Apple’s much-rumored iWatch, which may ship as soon as the third quarter of 2014.

According to Kuo, the iWatch will come in two separate sizes to accommodate different sized wrists: 1.3 inches and 1.5 inches. Multiple sizes for the device were first predicted in late 2013, though the original rumor pointed towards displays of 1.3 and 1.7 inches. Both watches will include flexible AMOLED displays with sapphire covers to protect the device from scratches.

Along with a multitude of biometric sensors, coupled in a system-in-a-package design, Kuo predicts the iWatch will include integration with the iPhone, iPad, and Mac, along with a "fashionable appearance," an NFC chip, and a slim and light design.

We are confident on Apple's ability to make wearable devices with good fashion sense, which sets Apple apart from rivals.Kuo believes many of the iWatch's mechanical parts may be constructed using liquid metal and that it may include an "innovative" antenna design that allows for wireless charging functionality.

Battery life has been a major challenge for Apple when it comes to iWatch development and Kuo forecasts a 200 to 250mAh battery for the device that will provide at least a one day of operating power. Earlier reports have suggested the company is aiming for three to four days of battery life, however, and Kuo does note that the battery will be longer than "most wearable devices" due to the company's "vertically integrated operating system and key components."

Kuo suggests Apple will release the iWatch at multiple price points and in a variety of materials, competing with low and high-end watches alike. At the high end, Kuo suggests Apple's iWatch could sell for thousands of dollars.

Fashion is the name of the game; most expensive model likely priced at several thousand US dollars. Referring to the rules of the fashion market, we predict the iWatch casing and band will come in various materials. The most expensive model of the iWatch line will carry a price tag of several thousand US dollars.Apple's iWatch is not expected until the end of the year, but Kuo believes it will be the most important product of 2014, outshining even the iPhone 6. He is estimating shipments of 5.5 million units in 2014, which will rise to 30 to 50 million units in 2015.

15. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

If it's all they're saying with health monitoring, using it as a pedometer, and tracking mileage on my runs, I'll probably invest in it. Although probably not for 'thousands of dollars' as they're predicting.

I don't wear a watch now, and it would take something fairly revolutionary to get me to do it again. If it integrates with all my iDevices, that might do it.

Wolf likes this.
  16. Wolf

Wolf Manspreading on DRC

I'm a watch guy and when Samsung came out with their version, it did look interesting and I was hoping that Apple was going to come out with their version soon. But reading some of the latest news, I was wondering how much will it cost, but if it really does come close to 'thousands of dollars' I'm going to past for quite a while until hopefully the price is just right one day!

17. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

What gives me hope is that the iPad was supposed to have debuted at a over $1000 price point, but wound up around $499 for the 16GB. So we'll see where this goes when it's introduced.

Wolf likes this.
  18. Wolf

Wolf Manspreading on DRC

19. SISO

SISO Member

You know I think this will be interesting. Samsung has really failed with their smart watch, in no small part that they've done a horrible job marketing it in my opinion. I mean, I'm a tech junkie and I couldn't even tell you what it does exactly. But a smart watch makes sense for Apple. In a basic sense, it's cool. Apple's cool, the kids think Apple is cool so a smart watch from Apple=cool. And it makes sense in so far as their vision that Steve had..to make technology and computers that were beautifully complex but also incredibly simple. Nothing is more simple than looking down at your wrist to see a text, to place a call, to read twitter. It's just one more step. I'll be buying..looking forward to it!

20. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

If they roll their wrist over while looking at the watch, they will see the phone that's in their hand.