Apple Talking To Programmers About Its Own Web Tv Service

Discussion in 'Cable & Video' started by Jon, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

2. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

3. Ehilbert1

Ehilbert1 Ooh-Rah!!!!

I thought you didn't want to pay for any service that has ESPN in it. You know just that channel is the bulk of the cost.

Sent from my Note 4

4. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

Where in the article does it say I wanted to? It's basically the same bundle the cable companies give you. Not exactly what I'd call reinventing TV. Unless there's some possible way to watch shows on demand and commercial free. Or unless it's got a super stellar user interface that works with current Apple TV.

Sent from my iPhone 6 plus using Tapatalk

5. Ehilbert1

Ehilbert1 Ooh-Rah!!!!

You said before one of the main reasons you left the cable world is ESPN. You didn't want to have to pay for it. Which is a very good reason to leave the cable world.

So if Apple or whoever offers ESPN in their packages will you still subscribe?

Sent from my Note 4

6. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

It depends on what other channels are available to make it worth it and what the cost is per month. If its the same as Sling TV that'd probably be worth it. Anything more than that it'd be doubtful.

When I did have ESPN the only reason to watch was for actual games. I avoided the series (except 30 for 30 which is BY FAR the best thing they've done) and had alternatives to Sportscenter. I'd probably watch it most during college football season, which is about when this service would start.

7. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

I also wonder what feeds they'll be using for the networks. Will it be local channels or will it be the west coast/east coast feeds like I used to get on Dish.

8. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

Apple Insider is saying $30-40 a month at launch. I'll have to see what that gets me. ESPN, some news networks and maybe TNT, AMC and Comedy Central would be good for starters. Considering basic Comcast HD package starts at $110 that's still pretty good.

9. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Comcast here offers 140 channels for $40/month, no contract. That includes ESPN HD and ESPN2 HD.

For $50/month you get 220 channels.

What could Apple be offering that could compete with that?

10. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

Among other things, not having to deal with Comcast and not having to pay for 140/220 channels I'll never watch. Plus it's $39.99 for one year of a two year contract vs. $30-40 no contract.

11. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

No contract for the $40 and $50 Comcast tiers here.

And why would channels you don't watch make a package at the same price less attractive?

12. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

Because I don't to pay for crap I don't watch. I also don't want to pay for lousy customer service.

13. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

I assume with the Apple deal, you get to watch any channel, anyplace you have your device and internet.
    I can see that being attractive for some people.

Does Comcast offer that for more than the limited number of HBO-Go types of channels?

14. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

They have the X1 system but it requires special equipment and can cost $270 a month. That's what they billed my folks at, so they just lowered it down to basic HD with a basic box. Which still runs $120.

I'm thinking the $69 price drop for Apple TV is the beginning of the end for the current generation. You'd probably pay $99 for a newer Apple TV with Homekit, Siri and that kinect technology they bought a while back. Along with the same content you'd get from the current version (Netflix, Hulu, all the TV anywhere stuff plus podcasts, iTunes Radio and others). That's the general thinking anyway.

HecticArt likes this.
  15. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Comcast has Xfinity To Go. It has about 80 live channels and a bunch of on demand stuff.

I never use it. I only watch TV on my giant TV, sitting on my big comfy couch.

Ignoring the customer service (which can be horrible from Comcast, and totally unknown from Apple), why would it matter if you were paying the same amount? If Apple's service is $40 for 25 channels, and Comcast's service is $40 for 140 channels, why would you rather have Apple?

16. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

Mainly because I know it's going to work with all my devices. My MacBook Pro, iPad, iPhone and Apple TV will all work together on this service, when I had Comcast I was lucky if the service worked at all.

HecticArt likes this.
  17. Ehilbert1

Ehilbert1 Ooh-Rah!!!!

For me it wouldn't make sense to get what Apple will offer. I don't want to be tied down to one company. Yes I love my iMac and my iPad mini but I also love my Note 4. Whatever I get I want to be able to use on more than one platform. Who knows I may get an iPhone in the future then 2 years later another company might have a phone I like. That's why I like Amazon instant video when I buy a digital movie. It works on so many different platforms. Same with VUDU. We did the disc to digital an have 240 movies in ultraviolet. We can watch them anywhere on any device.

I know it will never happen but if Apple would let people stream their iTunes stuff and upcoming cable channels on different devices I would be all for it. I just like different things. My wife is the same way.

18. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

It's called exclusivity. People don't complain about when the cable companies do it but god forbid Apple might want you to buy their device for the service (that sounds familiar. Cable companies?)

19. Ehilbert1

Ehilbert1 Ooh-Rah!!!!

With my Dish service I don't have to have a Dish branded phone, Dish branded tablet or Dish branded computer to watch it.

I wasn't putting Apple down for doing what they do. I get why they do it. You just take anything anyone says about Apple to the extreme. The whole god forbid? I wasn't putting them down man. Damn Jon its hard to have a conversation with you. Your so defensive about Apple when you don't have to be. It's all good OK. I own their products and like it.

20. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

I just know what works for me.

And I like to argue.