Apple Tv About To Roll Out Streaming Tv Service

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Andrew8468, Mar 16, 2015.

1. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

I just move my favorite channels to the top. Universal search will be nice if it's really universal. I read someplace that it was only for certain channels.

2. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

As I understand it will work for whatever you're subscribed to, and said app allows universal search. Assuming they all allow it I'd be able to search across Netflix, Hulu, HBO Now, Amazon (assuming it's added) and Crackle (as well as, of course, the iTunes Store for a particular actor and everything they're in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Andrew8468

Andrew8468 Plans on freezing in the dark

Read somewhere the BBC will develop an Apple TV version of their iPlayer.

4. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Right, what I read was that only 5 or 6 channels support the "universal" search.

I keep reading reviews and none of them give me a compelling reason to upgrade.

5. Andrew8468

Got a text message from Apple my Apple TV had shipped but checking the UPS website just the label has been generated.

6. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

7. Andrew8468

Well played. [​IMG]

HecticArt likes this.
  8. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

9. Andrew8468

The Apple TV should be delivered at some point tomorrow.

10. Andrew8468

The eagle has landed. Repeat, the eagle has landed. Have to go to work so the eagle will have to wait to be set free.

HecticArt likes this.
  11. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

12. Andrew8468

You're beating a dead horse now. Got the Apple TV hooked up, downloaded some apps and watched a couple of things before I went to sleep. Amazing how much better stuff looks on a 40" HDTV over a 13" MacBook.

13. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Glad you're enjoying your gear.

14. Andrew8468

15. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Here's the skinny:

Content providers already have a streaming solution that brings in much more than $40/month. Why do they want to create a new one that brings in less money? Streaming to more devices should be an up-sell, not a discount.

16. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

I watch so little in the way of Live TV anymore, I really don't care if there's a service coming or not.

I did sell my old TV a while ago, bought a new one on Amazon (43" Vizio LED TV, under $400). And will probably get the Apple TV's locally since Amazon doesn't sell them. Maybe a trip to Wally World is in order for tomorrow.

17. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

Got the new Apple TV for my folks, and one for me. The TV gets here tomorrow. (cue Tom Petty!)

HecticArt likes this.
  18. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

They're due to come out with an american version and an America-based Streaming service at some point next year. Haven't heard exactly when.

19. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

20. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

I guess it'll be happening about fall or so, it'll be a partnership between iTV and BBC (which is weird considering their rivals, sounds like a British version of Hulu).

Also liking the news of a new service with a partnership between TCM and the Criterion Collection for less than the price of Netflix (according to reports) called Filmstruck. That, Netflix, Amazon, Hulu and that BBC thing plus iTunes for newer stuff (that's any good) will be plenty for me.