Men At Work
A: "Keypunch Operator"
B: "Down Under" US #1

R-1828140-1508463710-1603.jpeg.jpg

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
That's crazy. The song that made them, and made them broke, was on the dark side.
How many Fosters did their producer have in him to think this was better than Down Under?

Or, are B-Sides like toilets in Australia and they go the other way around?

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
"Hey, this is Bob 'DRC' Hope. DRC. That stands for "darn rotten Crosby." No, that isn't nice. Sorry, Bing. But listen, in January 1939, Two Sleepy People, my duet with Shirley Ross, reached #15 on Billboard's Radio Airplay chart. Yes sir, it was a hit – but hey, I wanna tell ya, the B-side became much more famous. It became my theme song and I sang variations of it on all my many NBC television specials. Here it is, right here."

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
That A-side is pretty lame. But the original "Down Under" recording on the b-side ain't so great either. Shows what a big difference having a good producer makes!!

I actually like that version a lot. Yes, the producer made a world of difference and made the song work. That, and a proper recording studio.

Reactions: sadchild

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
Carl Douglas
A: "I Want To Give You My Everything"
B: "Kung Fu Fighting" #1

Technically, "Kung" wasn't released commercially as a b-side (according to Discogs), but the song was recorded to be the b-side until the label said to make it an a-side. "I Want" was still released as an a-side, just with a different song on the flipside instead.

The song's producer: "Kung Fu Fighting was not meant to be a hit. Carl Douglas recorded something for an A-side of a single and every session was three hours long. We spent two hours on the first song and then took a break and I said: 'Quick guys, we need to record the B-side in two takes.' Kung Fu Fighting was the B-side so I went over the top on the 'huhs' and the 'hahs' and the chopping sounds. It was a B-side: who was going to listen? I played the A-side to the guy at Pye Records, Robin Blanchflower, and he said: 'Can I listen to the rest of the reel?' When he heard it, he said: 'This should be the A-side.'"

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
Wild Cherry
Almost A: "I Feel Sanctified"
Almost B: "Play That Funky Music"

According to Songfacts: This was going to be the B-side of Wild Cherry's cover of the Commodores' "I Feel Sanctified." When they heard it, the owners of their record label suggested that the B-side become the A-side.

Reactions: HecticArt

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
Another "it was almost a b-side" story

George Harrison
A: "This Is Love" uncharted
Almost B: "Handle With Care" #45 (released as the supergroup Traveling Wilburys instead)

"The Wilburys formed in 1988 after Bob Dylan, George Harrison, Tom Petty, Jeff Lynne and Roy Orbison assembled at a California studio to record a B-side for the Harrison single 'This Is Love'."
Jonathan Cohen (March 20, 2007 - Billboard)

"Bob Dylan, Roy Orbison, Tom Petty and Jeff Lynne helped George Harrison on Handle With Care, originally conceived as a throwaway B-side of This Is Love from his 1988 Cloud Nine album. When the folks at Warner Bros. Records heard the easygoing rock song they convinced George and his pals it was too good to be relegated to the flip side of a single."
Mark Marymont (June 20, 2007 - news-press.com)

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
There was too much talent in that studio for something big not to happen.
Having them remove the pressure of having to write something "good" and just letting what naturally happens was probably the magic ingredient.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
Thee Sixpence (later Strawberry Alarm Clock)
A: The Birdman Of Alkatrash uncharted
B: Incense And Peppermints #1

Stolen from C98
Incense & Peppermints was released in April 1967 as the B-side of The Birdman Of Alcatrash. It was misspelled "Pepermints" on the label. Burbank top-40 station KBLA began playing the B-side. Then Pasadena top-40 station KRLA began playing the song. It became a local hit and was released nationally by Uni Records. By this time, the group had changed its name to Strawberry Alarm Clock. The song went to number one nationally in November 1967.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
Cypress Hill
A: "The Phuncky Feel One"
B: "How I Could Just Kill a Man" #77

A lot of websites report it was a double-A sided single and the chart position belongs to both songs, but some sites report "Kill" as the b-side originally, then state "Kill" got its own single release & video after it had gained traction. Plus, on the original single "Phuncky" is XSS73924A and "Kill" is XSS73924B.

Also, from B-Real himself:

We finished our album, did a video for "Phuncky Feel One" and went on the road shortly after ... The hype for the first album really started to pick up once DJ's started to play "How I Could Just Kill A Man" and we found ourselves doing alot of shows with groups like Naughty by Nature, Scarface, 3rd Bass, and Ice Cube.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
On this week's VJ, Alan said "Sea Of Love" was originally the b-side to "Rockin' At Midnight" for The Honeydrippers. But I can't confirm that from Discogs (none of the 12 releases of "Midnight" have "Sea" as a b-side). And as "Sea" is dropping from #3 to #4 this week, "Midnight" is going up from #80 to #68. So that statement may be inaccurate.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
On this week's VJ, Alan said "Sea Of Love" was originally the b-side to "Rockin' At Midnight" for The Honeydrippers. But I can't confirm that from Discogs (none of the 12 releases of "Midnight" have "Sea" as a b-side). And as "Sea" is dropping from #3 to #4 this week, "Midnight" is going up from #80 to #68. So that statement may be inaccurate.
Alan Hunter made an error on the VJ40?? Shocking.

• Haha