Best mp3/video player?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Since I killed this thread, I'll restart it. I'm considering getting my kids (age 5) a small portable video player to take on long trips. Looking at something small, like a 2" screen, in the $50 range, that can hold 6-8 hours of video. I want to rip some of their copyrighted DVD movies like Cars and Star Wars to WMV or another common format--not sure how that impact my choices, if at all. Choices look like Creative Labs, Sansa, Coby...any suggestions?

Why not just get a portable DVD player? These must be cheap these days. Burn a copy of the DVDs for the kids to get fingerprints all over in the backseat.

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Why not just get a portable DVD player? These must be cheap these days. Burn a copy of the DVDs for the kids to get fingerprints all over in the backseat.

Yeah, we do that now. I guess I'm overcomplicating things.

EDIT: just looked, price is comparable. Screens are bigger on the DVD players, battery life is no better.

Kids love iPads. Just sayin'.

Kids like 67" plasmas, too, but I'm not buying one.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
Since I killed this thread, I'll restart it. I'm considering getting my kids (age 5) a small portable video player to take on long trips. Looking at something small, like a 2" screen, in the $50 range, that can hold 6-8 hours of video. I want to rip some of their copyrighted DVD movies like Cars and Star Wars to WMV or another common format--not sure how that impact my choices, if at all. Choices look like Creative Labs, Sansa, Coby...any suggestions?

I found this on target.com Ematic eJam II 4GB Flash MP3 Player (EM164VIDBU) with Video Playback - Blue : Target for $29.99

Features

• MP3 Player Features: Color Display, ID3 Tag Compatible, Voice Memo, LCD Screen, Video Playback, FM Tuner, Microphone
  • Built-In Memory Storage Capacity: 4GB
  • Display Size: 1.5 "
  • File Formats Supported: WMA, MP3, WAV
  • Music Management Software: Windows Media Player 10
  • Wired Connectivity: USB 2.0, 3.5mm Jack, Headphone
  • Includes: Instruction Manual, Software CD ROM, USB Cable, Earphones, Quick Start Guide
  • Dimensions: 3.25 " L x 1.75 " W
  • Weight: 0.15 Lb.
  • Warranty Description: 1 Year Limited Manufacturer Warranty

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Yeah, we do that now. I guess I'm overcomplicating things.

EDIT: just looked, price is comparable. Screens are bigger on the DVD players, battery life is no better.

Kids like 67" plasmas, too, but I'm not buying one.

The one my son used before we discovered he was subject to motion sickness had a car adapter. Solved the power problems. Assume the same could be true for whatever other device you could get.