Better Call Saul

Discussion in 'The Studio Lounge' started by JHDK, Feb 8, 2015.

1. JHDK

JHDK Release Robin's Bra

hectics avatar got me thinking this would make a good thread.

[​IMG]

im really hoping this turns out to be as good as i think it will be. the shows website is pretty funny just by itself.

DUI? Dealing Drugs? Better Call Saul!

saul was a great bit of comedy in a very serious breaking bad. i cant wait to check out the first episode. how was it?

HecticArt likes this.
  2. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

If you haven't seen it yet, I'll skip the spoilers.
    I liked it. Gilligan knows how to build things up. It has a lot of similarities to the beginning of BrBa, but you already know where Saul is going to end up in life, so you know Gilligan isn't trying to duplicate the old show. Looking forward to episode 2 tomorrow night.

3. JHDK

JHDK Release Robin's Bra

ok minor spoilers here...

i really liked the small references to breaking bad like how the camera starts on a cadillac, the same one saul had in breaking bad, before panning over to the crappy car he was actually driving. also, his office being in the back of the nail salon like the one he wanted to use for walt to launder money was cool.

im fascinated to see how the story line with michael mckean plays out. who knows where they will go with that. seeing saul start to become the sleazy lawyer we know him as was cool too. the big breaking bad tie in at the end was cool but im not sure just how many tie ins i really want.

i too will be looking forward to watching the second episode tomorrow.

4. Ehilbert1

Ehilbert1 Ooh-Rah!!!!

I love the idea of finding out how he became that sleazy lawyer. Can't wait to watch tonight too.

Sent from my Note 4

HecticArt likes this.
  5. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

The first episode was brilliant. I loved Mr. Show in the 90s, but I never imagined I'd see Bob Odenkirk as the star of something like this.

If you haven't seen Mr. Show, do so now. Most consistently funny sketch comedy show ever. And I'm including Monty Python's Flying Circus in that.

HecticArt, blyons200 and JHDK like this.
  6. JHDK

JHDK Release Robin's Bra

mr show shows a bit of its age watching today but still holds up quite well.

pretty much all the comedians i like today credit mr show as the pivotal comedy series.

paul f tompkins (who is up there for my fav comedian) tweeted a pic a few weeks back of the whole mr show crew together and bob and david have talked about how they are working on some new mr show content.

also, david cross has a really good show called the increasingly poor decisions of todd margaret that is quite funny and worth a watch.

oh meme (and everyone) have u checked out the comedy bang bang tv show? scott aukerman is the host/star of the show and he was a writer on mr show. bang bang is pretty much a modern day take on mr show. its not as good but comparing anything to mr show is tough. there is a comedy bang bang podcast too and id say thats a must listen. its better then the tv show.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  7. Ehilbert1

Ehilbert1 Ooh-Rah!!!!

David Cross is awesome. He cracked me up on Just shoot me.

Sent from my Note 4

8. blyons200

blyons200 These pretzels are making me thirsty.

I really enjoyed the show, looking forward to tonight's episode

Ehilbert1 and JHDK like this.
  9. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Tonight's show was freaking awesome!
    I'm bummed I can't binge watch it.
    I like how it's going to take several episodes to get up to speed.

blyons200 likes this.
  10. Ehilbert1

Ehilbert1 Ooh-Rah!!!!

We enjoyed it too. Good stuff.

Sent from my Note 4

11. JHDK

JHDK Release Robin's Bra

blyons200 and HecticArt like this.
  12. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

The Mrs cussed at the TV last night.
    She was pissed that they got her hooked in less than 2 episodes.

blyons200 likes this.
  13. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Spoilers.

The moment that got me last night was when Saul turned around and tried to save the skateboarders. He felt bad about what he had done to them and wanted to make it better.

Walter would have gone home.

Walter thought he was a good guy. He thought he was better and/or smarter than just about everyone he encountered. He would have written off the skateboard brothers as low life criminals and felt nothing about their deaths or his role in that.

Saul knows he's a scumbag. He knows he's no better than those skateboarders. He's not a teacher or a father or anything good. He's a lawyer and a con artist. He knows his limitations but he's willing to risk his life to be better.

blyons200 likes this.
  14. Ehilbert1

Ehilbert1 Ooh-Rah!!!!

No Walter White would have helped. Heisenberg would have left them for dead. That is his alter ego. Walter White came out in the last episode and helped Jesse. He could have left him for dead but he didn't. Even after they fought. He saw the good in Jesse and that he was held captive.

By the way this is just my interpretation of Mr White. Just an opinion. Nothing more.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  15. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

16. Ehilbert1

Ehilbert1 Ooh-Rah!!!!

semipenguin likes this.
  17. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

semipenguin likes this.
  18. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

19. JHDK

JHDK Release Robin's Bra

that article did its job in so much as it got me to read the whole thing. but i dont agree with any of it. i got the same angry feeling reading that as i do when i hear feminists bitch about women in bathing suits or how its awful to fat shame. hot women are great and being fat is gross. and it sucks going from being a lawyer (even if he was a total scumball) to working in the food court. im a staunch liberal and i really hate when i watch fox news and hear them whine about the liberal media but articles like that make me see their point.

semipenguin likes this.
  20. Ehilbert1

Ehilbert1 Ooh-Rah!!!!

It's a TV show. If people don't like it then don't watch. Problem solved. People love to whine and bitch about things.

I guess I just see things from a different perspective. When you've been through as much shit as I have it changes you. Like why wait to watch things you might really enjoy? You could be dead tomorrow. Live in the now.

Sent from my Note 4

HecticArt, Wolf and semipenguin like this.