Blocked at work

CraigW

Oct 14, 2008
Maryland
So they finally caught up with me and have blocked Sirius at work. Are there any options for streaming that get around web blocking software (Websense in this case)? Hell, the Sirius home page won't even load for me anymore! Unfortunately I can't get a signal in my office, so it's very quiet in here right now :mad:

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
So they finally caught up with me and have blocked Sirius at work. Are there any options for streaming that get around web blocking software (Websense in this case)? Hell, the Sirius home page won't even load for me anymore! Unfortunately I can't get a signal in my office, so it's very quiet in here right now :mad:

Two possible options:

1. Can you set up the SIRIUS in house repeater system anywhere in your office area to get a signal? This is what I did.
  2. Record, Record, Record. I still do this along with listeniing LIVE via the XM Delphi Repeater.

Davis

Oct 10, 2008
If there is a no-streaming part in your IT contract then it isn't a good idea to go around it. They can and will monitor the amount of bandwidth you are using. If you are using more than "average" then they will see why. If they see that you are streaming they can (probably will) fire you. I suggest you check into this before going around it. Yes, I have seen people fired from streaming audio. Another was fired for using youtube. This idiot was using 12% of the bandwidth in a day.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
I suppose you could set up a secure connection using an anonymous proxy.

I would not recommend it, however, unless you are prepared to deal with the consequences of being caught. IT folks and management usually tend to frown upon you trying to circumvent their controls. Now is not a good time to be without a job.

CraigW

Oct 14, 2008
Maryland
Not sure that things are worded ini particular about streaming, but good point on getting in trouble. Looks like I'll be listening to recordings on my Stiletto from now on.

Davis

Oct 10, 2008
One thing about the Stiletto is that they won't be able to trace it back to you. They can trace it back to a certain access point but not to your Stiletto as they would need the MAC address for that. The only way for them to take it back to you is if you show them your Stiletto. If your company has wireless internet, that may be the way to go.

However, I am not advocating that you go around the controls.

Reactions: limegrass69

J3ff

Oct 13, 2008
If I were you, I'd get a smart phone with an everything all package (Sprint) and listen to it through that, that's how I do it ;)

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
If you're willing to take the chance, you could always try a 3rd party player like Stream_ON.

Doesn't Stream_ON ultimately point to the same source for programming as the Sirius interface? I would think that there is more to it than using another interface to get to the same underlying place...but I could be wrong here. :confused:

Davis

Oct 10, 2008
It is the site that is being blocked, not the streaming. Well, probably. You can also try the Yahoo Widget. I know that gets through every blocker I have come across. That is what I use when at a client's site.

realwx

Oct 14, 2008
Burtonsville/Silver Spring, MD
Doesn't Stream_ON ultimately point to the same source for programming as the Sirius interface? I would think that there is more to it than using another interface to get to the same underlying place...but I could be wrong here. :confused:

You're pretty much right... a lot of the Sirius programs just use the Sirius website directly (automatic logging in and all of that), and if you use Stream_ON you'll likely get an error.

The way I did was really setting up my satellite radio at home to deliver sound (via Line-In) and stream it via Shoutcast. Sure it was stuck on one channel, but it circumvented the blocks at least for me.

If nothing else and at a last resort, record a 6-hour block on your Stiletto.

CraigW

Oct 14, 2008
Maryland
Connecting to the wireless is definitely a big no-no, probably worse than trying to circumvent the blocking. After some of the above comments and thought (hmmm, job market), I think recordings are my best bet. Thanks for the ideas though!

Davis

Oct 10, 2008
If you are caught? Yes. However, as I stated, they can't figure out it was you (assuming you have a anonymous login for wireless.

Again, I do not advocate circumventing the controls. I am a freelance 'network certifier' and part of that job is finding these holes in the "armor" so there is a bit of a conflict of interest here.

Last edited:

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
If you are caught? Yes. However, as I stated, they can't figure out it was you.

Again, I do not advocate circumventing the controls. I am a freelance 'network certifier' and part of that job is finding these holes in the "armor" so there is a bit of a conflict of interest here.

I'm for taking the safe route. While the IT guys have ways of tracking you down in many cases, you're correct that there are ways to circumvent the system, especially if you know a few things about your company's set up, and networking in general.

But guess what? When someone is breaking a rule, you are usually found out because of a fellow employee ratting you out. It is crazy, but it is the truth. There are lots of people with an axe to grind, or for whatever reason, feels that what you're doing is morally wrong. Or, it could even be another employee making innocent comment to someone such as as "hey...did you see the set up 'CraigW' has over there? He's listening to the radio at his desk!"

Last edited:

Davis

Oct 10, 2008
That is how the people got caught, that I know of, and were fired. A fellow employee heard, through the grapevine, that this person was watching youtube all day and he was fired. The catch: It was the president of the company. This company was bought out so he was no longer the president but he wasn't given walking papers yet. It was nice to see that they didn't play favors.