Company Wide BlackBerry Cutbacks

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
Even if you use the Enterprise Server (as is my case), all data traffic is passed through RIM's servers at some point along the way.

Voice and SMS do not.

All things considered, I still think that the Blackberry (running through an Enterprise Server) is the most reliable email/PIM/calendar device out there. Other devices do things like web browsing better, IMHO.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I think this all hinges on how important ones email is to them. If I was waiting on a presentation to be sent to me or an important document for a meeting then that totally changes the equation.

Bottom line is goes to reliability and this is the point of the article. Most average users could go without email for 6 hours, but when you bill yourself a the premium business email service then you can't take a nonchalant approach to not having access to email for 6 hours. This is damn serious for some businesses!

I think a good deal of Crackberry users are just addicted to it and cutting them off is like denying a Heroin addict his/her next shot.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I have a friend that uses Blackberry Messenger and swears by it. I think SMS or Yahoo (or any instant messaging program) on the iPhone works just as well, if not better according to this.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
BBM is not a bad application. It would be nice if you could integrate non-BB (AIM, MSN, etc.) users into the single interface.

On the BB, you can have your chat clients and other apps running silently in the background while you do other things. Can you do that on the iPhone (not jail broken)?

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Yahoo can run in the background, I get notifications when I get messages in other programs like Facebook or something. I'm not sure all programs can do that. I know Skype can't. And there are certain radio apps that you can run in the background through Mobile Safari (ESPN Radio, Wunderradio and I believe Pockettunes are good examples).

There is fring, where you can run ICQ, Yahoo, AIM, Skype and a few others off the top of my head in one program.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Yahoo can run in the background, I get notifications when I get messages in other programs like Facebook or something. I'm not sure all programs can do that. I know Skype can't. And there are certain radio apps that you can run in the background through Mobile Safari (ESPN Radio, Wunderradio and I believe Pockettunes are good examples).

There is fring, where you can run ICQ, Yahoo, AIM, Skype and a few others off the top of my head in one program.

I use Trillian which allows me full access to all my messenger accounts and you'll get notifications when someone sends you a message. If you click on the link or unlock the iPhone it goes directly into the program so that you can reply.

The bottom line is that the apps have to take advantage of the notification scheme. If they do this then clearly there are aspects of the service running in the background to allow this to work. Then once you get notification and click on it then the app comes to the foreground for you to work in.

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
From 8/3/09
On Friday, I found out my employer is making "BlackBerry cuts" company wide and mine is a victim. I will be assigned a "regular" company phone on Monday. Shoot, once you go BlackBerry, it will be hard to go back. :p

I am lucky though to still have a job and a free phone. If these BlackBerry cuts can save a job or two, it is worth it. I still did get to keep my laptop and Verizon Air Card.

It is hard to believe I started this thread almost 2 1/2 years ago. I was told last week that I would be submitted a Blackberry once again. I have been monitoring backups remotely from home on the weekends the past few months. This way, I will catch the backup fail email alerts that we get. I am glad to have it! :bigthumbup:

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
From 8/3/09

It is hard to believe I started this thread almost 2 1/2 years ago. I was told last week that I would be submitted a Blackberry once again. I have been monitoring backups remotely from home on the weekends the past few months. This way, I will catch the backup fail email alerts that we get. I am glad to have it! :bigthumbup:

My condolences. They can't give you an iPhone or Android?

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
LOL - "We don't need to make better products that compete on features and usability - we just need to wait for bad things to happen to our competitors!!"

RIM’s plan B: hope for iOS, Android security flaws — Mobile Technology News

The new CEO is just as clueless as the old duo - probably picked by them to keep the status quo while appearing to be making a meaningful change. They are in trouble, they have limited time, and they had better do something soon. Unlike Microsoft, RIM doesn't have unlimited funds to toss at their mobile platform. And To Microsoft's credit, they actually did make some attempts to make a better product. I think that the time has passed for RIM to be able to do the same thing, or for it to matter.

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
These days if any tech company lasts more than five years it's a miracle. RIM is dead. They might survive as a niche provider, but for the mass market, Apple and Android are the future. (Meaning the next year or so...then, who knows?)

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
My condolences. They can't give you an iPhone or Android?

Hey, it is free. I have no other phone so my total phone bill each month is $0. :buttrock: How many people can say that? My company is cool about personal calls, texts and pictures. They treat me well to say the least.

Last edited:

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Hey, it is free. I have no other phone so my total phone bill each month is $0. :buttrock: How many people can say that? My company is cool about personal calls, texts and pictures. They treat me well to say the least.

I guess you can't beat the price or a cool company.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing

My company gives me an Android, plus the service.

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH

I ended up with the bold 9650 smart phone. Still getting adjusted. I have to get my contacts transferred etc. The keyboard seems smaller than the last one I had 2 1/2 years ago. I will adjust fine though. :agree:

FlyersFan76

Nov 28, 2011
These days if any tech company lasts more than five years it's a miracle. RIM is dead. They might survive as a niche provider, but for the mass market, Apple and Android are the future. (Meaning the next year or so...then, who knows?)

Not sure I love my BB and tried Android. Yeah I have a new Android and need a gmail account to make it work. No thanks.

My email wasn't reliable with the Android and it was the worst 6 months of mobile phone ownership that I could remember.

Not really sure how RIM could be dead unless some tech giant that wants to make software for all the plains, trains and automobiles, not to mention nuclear power plants buys RIM's other products.

Not to mention that their Sales have never dropped from one year to the next in the last 10 or so years.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Not sure I love my BB and tried Android. Yeah I have a new Android and need a gmail account to make it work. No thanks.

What does that mean? You need a Google account to buy apps, but you can use any kind of email account with the phone.

How was your email "unreliable"?

Not to mention that their Sales have never dropped from one year to the next in the last 10 or so years.

They're rapidly losing market share, and they have nothing in the pipeline that could turn that around. I don't see the BlackBerry sticking around more than 2 years.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
What does that mean? You need a Google account to buy apps, but you can use any kind of email account with the phone.

They're rapidly losing market share, and they have nothing in the pipeline that could turn that around. I don't see the BlackBerry sticking around more than 2 years.

I have heard that assertion about BB being the only reliable e-mail from many BB users. However, I think this is something that is being told to them by BB salesmen. When pressed, they have never tried it on iPhone or Android.

And if a business could survive on always producing the same sales, they would probably last a while. But sooner or later as share decreases, pressure on businesses and other core businesses will be to dump them for Android or iPhone. My company is already piloting iPhone project to replace BB for those who don't want BB. They have been typical business buyer of BB so far -- unquestioned support. Now its starting to waver. No business will not have contingency plans or stay with a sinking ship.

FlyersFan76

Nov 28, 2011

Couldn't send email only receive. It has been over 5 months and I have chosen to forget all the problems because all their phones are the same to me. Same as the iphone but I have a better chance of trying that out if BB10 doesn't do it for me but in the end I use my phone for talking, calendar and email and it works.

As for sticking around what company do you think could take over QNX. Just a question as I am not sure. Just a curious consumer looking at an huge market for RIM that, from the looks of it, has the largest market share.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Why can't you send email with an Android phone? Other people can.

Anyone could take over QNX, or QNX could be abandoned like many other OSs before it.

FlyersFan76

Nov 28, 2011
Why can't you send email with an Android phone? Other people can.

Anyone could take over QNX, or QNX could be abandoned like many other OSs before it.

I didn't like the experience and how the phone handled email. Different strokes for different folks.

Abandon QNX. LOL the majority of what QNX is used for is NOT phones.