Cord Cutters

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
MadisonRadio1 said:
They should have "For The Love of Willadean." I haven't seen that in like 50 years.

For The Love Of Willadean was produced by Ron Miller, who was married to Walt Disney's daughter Diane and served as president of The Walt Disney Company from 1978 to 1984. Miller produced or co-produced 142 Disney movies and television episodes. He died in February 2019.

Oh, before I forget, look what I found on YouTube:

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I wonder if the new streaming service will include Song Of The South. The 1946 film, adapted from Joel Chandler Harris' "Uncle Remus" stories, is not racist or offensive or pro-slavery – but because many Americans think it is, Disney has never released it on video, DVD or Blu-ray in the United States.

I have the Japanese laserdisc and it is racist, white supremacist propaganda. AF.

MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio
Oct 17, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
For The Love Of Willadean was produced by Ron Miller, who was married to Walt Disney's daughter Diane and served as president of The Walt Disney Company from 1978 to 1984. Miller produced or co-produced 142 Disney movies and television episodes. He died in February 2019.

Oh, before I forget, look what I found on YouTube:

Allrighty! When we went to Orlando Disney for one of my wife s conferences a few years ago, I kept telling her about a movie about these boys that stole a huge watermelon from an irate farmer with a shotgun. She looked it up and said it was called For the Love of Willadean. Its amazing how many things, commercials, tv movies and such that are available on You Tube that were before the personal video age

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
memebag said:
I have the Japanese laserdisc and it is racist, white supremacist propaganda.

Mister Bag, I suggest you read Who's Afraid Of The Song Of The South?, a 2012 book by Disney historian Jim Korkis explaining the film's controversy and allegations of racism:

Song Of The South takes place after the Civil War. As this essay notes, the time period is not clear in the movie itself. Moviegoers assumed it took place prior to the Civil War and therefore Uncle Remus and Aunt Tempy were slaves. They were wrong.

Just How Racist Is Disney’s ‘Song of the South’?

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Mister Bag, I suggest you read Who's Afraid Of The Song Of The South?, a 2012 book by Disney historian Jim Korkis explaining the film's controversy and allegations of racism:

Song Of The South takes place after the Civil War. As this essay notes, the time period is not clear in the movie itself. Moviegoers assumed it took place prior to the Civil War and therefore Uncle Remus and Aunt Tempy were slaves. They were wrong.

Just How Racist Is Disney’s ‘Song of the South’?

I don't need to read a book to know it's racist. I know the Hayes office wanted Disney to make it clear that the film takes place in 1870, during Reconstruction. Disney was supposed to include a title card making that explicit but didn't. It would not make the film any less racist. It still shows whites being the superior race, and blacks just happy for a chance to serve them.

The article you link to agrees that it's racist.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
That article also notes that people's views on race have "evolved." In the 1930s, '40s and '50s, books and movies were not universally condemned for their stereotypical depictions of blacks but those same books and movies are being condemned now, in the 21st century. Fantagraphics Books has been reprinting all the Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck comic strips. Many include slant-eyed buck-toothed Orientals and tribes of black cannibals who jus' don' talk well like us ejoocated white folk do. Fantagraphics does not alter or censor those strips or refuse to print them. Instead, each book is prefaced with a note saying the stereotypes come from an "earlier time" and are no longer acceptable but are presented now for the reader's enjoyment. Why can't Disney release Song Of The South with a similar warning?

Check out this 1935 cartoon. It was not a Disney film but it was produced and directed by Disney animator and Mickey Mouse co-creator Ubbe Iwwerks.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
That article also notes that people's views on race have "evolved." In the 1930s, '40s and '50s, books and movies were not universally condemned for their stereotypical depictions of blacks but those same books and movies are being condemned now, in the 21st century. Fantagraphics Books has been reprinting all the Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck comic strips. Many include slant-eyed buck-toothed Orientals and tribes of black cannibals who jus' don' talk well like us ejoocated white folk do. Fantagraphics does not alter or censor those strips or refuse to print them. Instead, each book is prefaced with a note saying the stereotypes come from an "earlier time" and are no longer acceptable but are presented now for the reader's enjoyment. Why can't Disney release Song Of The South with a similar warning?

Check out this 1935 cartoon. It was not a Disney film but it was produced and directed by Disney animator and Mickey Mouse co-creator Ubbe Iwwerks.

Ok, but it's still racist. You said it wasn't and it is.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
I do not consider Song Of The South to be racist, offensive or pro-slavery. I saw the film many years ago. I knew the son of a Disney animator – both are now deceased – and he loaned me a videotape of the film. Somebody at the Disney studio had made a few illegal copies of it. The copy was very grainy but at least the sound was good. A white boy, a white girl and a black boy are friends. A black man tells three Br'er Rabbit stories to the white boy. The black man, the three friends and Br'er Rabbit sing Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah. The film is not racist. I stand by my observations. If I get tired of standing, I'll sit for a while.

And hyson? You're spilling some of your popcorn on the floor.

Reactions: hyson

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I do not consider Song Of The South to be racist, offensive or pro-slavery. I saw the film many years ago. I knew the son of a Disney animator – both are now deceased – and he loaned me a videotape of the film. Somebody at the Disney studio had made a few illegal copies of it. The copy was very grainy but at least the sound was good. A white boy, a white girl and a black boy are friends. A black man tells three Br'er Rabbit stories to the white boy. The black man, the three friends and Br'er Rabbit sing Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah. The film is not racist. I stand by my observations. If I get tired of standing, I'll sit for a while.

And hyson? You're spilling some of your popcorn on the floor.

All of the black characters are servants. All of the white characters are their masters. The black servants are happy to serve their white masters. They are happy to entertain them with songs and stories. The white people are supreme. That is what we call "white supremacy". That is racist.

It was released in 1946, during Jim Crow segregation. That was a very racist time. It is set in 1870, the peak of Reconstruction, when whites in the North were trying to force whites in the South to give up the wealth and power they had accumulated from slave labor. That was also a very racist time. It is drenched in racism. That should come as no surprise to anyone.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
The 13th Amendment was ratified in December 1865. It abolished slavery. Song Of The South, as you noted, was set in 1870. The movie depicts black servants, not black slaves. There is a huge difference. And did you know our nation's first slave owner was a black man? Look it up.

Yes, 1946 was indeed "a very racist time." James Baskett, a black man, was the first live actor Disney hired – and he couldn't attend the movie's premiere in Atlanta because the city was segregated and no local hotel or motel would rent a room to him. By the way, from 1944 to 1948, Bascomb portrayed a lawyer on NBC Radio's Amos 'N' Andy program, which starred two white men as the black characters Amos Jones and Andy Brown. I'm just full of trivia today – and a few other things, too.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
The 13th Amendment was ratified in December 1865. It abolished slavery. Song Of The South, as you noted, was set in 1870. The movie depicts black servants, not black slaves. There is a huge difference. And did you know our nation's first slave owner was a black man? Look it up.

Yes, 1946 was indeed "a very racist time." James Baskett, a black man, was the first live actor Disney hired – and he couldn't attend the movie's premiere in Atlanta because the city was segregated and no local hotel or motel would rent a room to him. By the way, from 1944 to 1948, Bascomb portrayed a lawyer on NBC Radio's Amos 'N' Andy program, which starred two white men as the black characters Amos Jones and Andy Brown. I'm just full of trivia today – and a few other things, too.
None of that makes "Song of the South" any less racist.

MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio
Oct 17, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
You Tube Red is now You Tube Premium. I must decide whether I'll subscribe with Cobra Kai Season 2 starting next week. Netflix is also going up $2 next month. But the Roku Channel is still free