Cord Cutters

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
Reminds me of the early, early days of ESPN. only thing missing is Australian Rules Football but I’m sure it’s on there somewhere.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
And another place they get you. Ads on a paid service!

HBO series like "Game of Thrones" will run with ads on HBO Max. As Warner Bros Discovery scrambles for new revenue, it's exploring a reversal of its earlier streaming strategy — a move that could be controversial to creators and people inside the company.

• Angry
Reactions: scotchandcigar

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
That'll piss me off if I'm paying for the subscription.

It's bad enough that there are already product placements for Starbucks.
MW-HI929_got_st_ZH_20190506122220.jpg

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Finally got around to setting up my echo dot and connecting it to the TV. Once I did that the Vizio app started working and now I can use my pixel as a remote. This is nice cause my tv doesn't have a mic in the remote so typing out searches was annoying.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Update: I've been happy with my LG OLED TV and YouTube TV service. But after several trouble-free months, I began intermittently having problems being connected to Wi-Fi when turning on the TV. And often, it would require me to re-enter the Wi-Fi password, which is a pain to do with a remote. Plus it shouldn't be necessary. And it was getting worse and worse over time.

So I looked into the issue. The first thing I noticed is that the TV was seeing a marginal signal strength on the 5 GHz Wi-Fi band. This is because they put the Wi-Fi card (with internal antenna) on the bottom-left corner of the back of the TV (bottom-right when viewing from the front). See the picture
1673897574407.png

Now the arrow on the window sill is where the router was, but you can see I moved it. What's really frustrating is that my Amazon Fire TV stick would come out of the (nearer) other side of the TV; but regardless of position, the Fire stick has a much stronger antenna. We use the Fire stick on our bedroom TV, which is at the other end of the house and through a wall, and it works perfect every time.

However, when we use the Fire stick on this TV, it severely limits the picture settings, plus the LG's built-in menus are meant to work with the remote it comes with. If they just brought the LG antenna out externally, that would solve everything, because as it is, the TV panel blocks the wireless signal.

So anyway, I moved the router, and now the signal strength is good enough that I don't have to keep putting in the password. But I was still having the TV turn-on without being connected to our Wi-Fi. I did some online research, and found dozens of articles, chats, and posts, all about getting the TV to stay connected when turning on. While much of the advice was bullshit, I did come across a few super-geeks who had the answers.

Let's just say that the setup of this TV involves (easily) a hundred different settings. And I was instructed on how to change a multitude of these settings, so that I'd ultimately have the TV stay connected. I don't actually know which of the settings really fixed the problem, because of how long it takes to recreate the issue. All I know is that I tried several things that didn't work, and then when I found some really deep technical advice, I applied them all. Here are some of the things I did.

- Turned off all "auto" settings in the menus.
- Turned off all "quick" settings in the menus.
- Changed the country code from auto to US.
- Changed the time zone from auto to EST.
- Changed the DNS server address from 192.168.1.1 to 8.8.8.8.8.
- Changed my modem setting for the TV from guest to host (or something).

Somewhere in there, or in other settings I forgot about, I fixed the problem. I don't know how in hell a person without a technical background would ever resolve this.

Reactions: HecticArt

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
marginal signal strength on the 5 GHz Wi-Fi band.
My understanding is that 5GHz is faster, but has a more narrow broadcast zone, whereas 2.4 is slower but reaches further. 2.4 might be enough if you have further 5 issues...?
Changed the DNS server address from 192.168.1.1 to 8.8.8.8.8.
DNS is getting the web destination name from the numbers, like a phone book for the internet. Like 603-222-9999 = Johnny Jones but it's 1.2.3.4 = Comcast (or whoever).

8.8.8.8 is a Google-hosted DNS server. 192.168.1.1 is a non-routable (not on the internet, only on your local network) address. You were pulling DNS from whatever your local router was getting it from (probably your internet provider) but now you bypass that and go straight to Google for DNS names.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
My understanding is that 5GHz is faster, but has a more narrow broadcast zone, whereas 2.4 is slower but reaches further. 2.4 might be enough if you have further 5 issues...?

DNS is getting the web destination name from the numbers, like a phone book for the internet. Like 603-222-9999 = Johnny Jones but it's 1.2.3.4 = Comcast (or whoever).

8.8.8.8 is a Google-hosted DNS server. 192.168.1.1 is a non-routable (not on the internet, only on your local network) address. You were pulling DNS from whatever your local router was getting it from (probably your internet provider) but now you bypass that and go straight to Google for DNS names.
Not surprisingly, you are correct on both counts. Using Speedtest, I get around 60Mb/s with the 2.4GHz, but over 350MB/s with the 5GHz. So I figured the better speed would be important for the TV. In more remote places around the house, such as my Sirius streaming phone on my back porch, or in my basement, I use the 2.4.

Reactions: sadchild

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I use google DNS too. My ISP can have their DNS down for days and google is almost always up. If I relied on my ISP I would be offline for days.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
All the things they had me do, was so that when I turn on the TV, it remains connected to the wireless, instead of resetting and searching for a connection each time. It seems to be working.