Delphi MyFi problem

Discussion in 'XM Radios' started by romad, Jul 3, 2013.

1. romad

romad New Member

I used to go to xm411.com but it looks like they are defunct. I found this site doing a Google search.

OK, here is my problem. I've been an XM subscriber for about 11 years and the Delphi is the second radio I've owned. However, today it developed a problem. It was working fine in my car when I stopped at a store. When I went to leave, it would not power up; it would start to, get as far as the XM2GO splash screen then everything went blank. A couple of hours later it started working again, but it had dumped all my presets. OK, I reprogrammed 2 of them and started driving, but about 15-20 minutes later it died again with the same symptoms. So I have some questions:

1. Does anyone have an idea as to what is wrong with it? If so, where can I get it fixed?

2. If it is unrepairable, I'll need suggestions on a replacement and I assume replacement accessories. This is what I'll need: 3 car kits, 1 home kit, an adapter for my 2005 VW Jetta OEM radio, and an adapter for my Pioneer radio in my Mazda Miata.

3. When XM & Sirius merged they said there would be "universal" or "dual-band" radios available so you could change between XM channels and Sirius channels without changing radios; where can I get one of these?

4. Last, what current radio has the same features as the Delphi MyFi radio?

2. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Romad, glad you found us, but sorry it's because you're having troubles with your rig.

Sometimes TSS Radio can fix radios, but it depends on the issue and the radio. With a radio that old, it might not be worth repairing, but it can't hurt to ask em.

As for the new option if they can't fix it, check out the Onyx. It's on the XM side of the spectrum. You should be able to get all of the docks that you need.

For the most part, the Sirius signal comes from the Sirius sats, and the XM signal comes from the XM sats, and the SiriusXM signal still comes from the XM sats. The general difference is in the billing and if your radio will receive the extra channels. Eventualy, everything will be broadcast from the XM spectrum. It sounds like SXM is reducing the number of radios that they will sell. The last I heard was that the Onyx and maybe the Starmate will carry forward with some new features, but there hasn't been an official press release. They don't usually offer up too much information that far in advance of product releases.

Hope it helps.

3. romad

romad New Member

Bummer on the lack of dual-band radios. So the Sirius frequency spectrum will be abandoned? (Sirius uses 2.32 through 2.3325 GHz while XM uses 2.3325 through 2.345 GHz) What about those cars that came with built-in Sirius antenna? I thought that the bands were close enough that I could use my XM unit with the OEM Sirius antenna for my Jetta, but it didn't seem to work.

I've downloaded the user guides for the Onyx, Edge and Starmate 8 receivers so I can read up on the various features and settings.

4. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

5. Brad Bishop

Brad Bishop Member

I didn't think about it until I read that but I wonder how many people still have a SiriusXM Mirge and are still subscribed. That radio would have been pretty nice had it been released in 2003 or 2004..

You can still buy one:
    MiRGE? Interoperable Satellite Radio - Shop - SiriusXM Radio

At the bottom it says:
    *Requires a subscription to a SIRIUS | XM "All-In-One" package

I wonder if that is like the everything / premier package or if it's the ridiculous Everything on Sirius + everything on XM really expensive package.

Just a note: I'm not recommending that radio to the OP.. It was just more of a curiosity.

6. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

The spectrum will be assimulated eventually into newer radios but several years down the road.

XM antenas are made better but either antena will work for any radio except in extreme circumstances.

7. romad

romad New Member

Good news on my Delphi problem: I was successful in reprogramming my presets. I first tried it in the home dock and was partially successful, but a couple kept refusing to program. I next took it out to my Jetta, plugged it in the cradle, started the car and turned on the A/C, then went through the channels that didn't want to work and was finally done. Now I have to put it in the Miata's cradle and see if it still works. It may have been heat related as the temp on Wednesday was over 100 degrees (though I had the A/C on with one vent blowing directly on the Delphi).

If it keeps working, I can wait until the new updated radios come out.

8. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Good deal romad. I hope it keeps working for you.
    Keep us posted.

9. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

I have found that these portables tend to malfunction in heat. Good news is that the malfunctions tend to disappear once they cool down again. You mentioned first time you had left the car. The unit would have gotten hot then.

10. goreds2

goreds2 Well-Known Member

If you ever need to do a reset (not factory default reset), take the battery out and place a paper clip in this hole. Sometimes this can relieve the funky things that happen to these once in awhile. Love the MyFi I have!

[​IMG]

HecticArt likes this.
  11. romad

romad New Member

Well, a weird problem cropped up this week; the MyFi reset itself to factory defaults! I thought it may be the battery as it is 8.5 years old, but when I pulled the unit out of the car cradle it stayed on. So I reprogrammed the presets and they stayed set; the auto power on/off when the car power is on/off doesn't work right. It used to turn off within a few seconds off removing car power, but now it takes a few minutes and where it used to turn on in a few seconds, now it doesn't come on unless I manually push the power button. What I can't find is where I enabled this auto setting in the first place. I read the owner's guide but couldn't find it, nor can I find it when in the Menu on the unit. Could someone point me to where I can check the setting? Thanks!

12. romad

romad New Member

Found it! It is very obvious - of course Vehicle Mode settings will be listed under the Set Time option in the Menu. How silly of me to think that option was for setting the time!

13. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

That's pretty goofy.

14. IndustrialH

IndustrialH "So much music .... so little time..."

Quick question to all: My local thrift store has an XM2Go with all the cables etc etc.... for $29 plus tax - worth purchasing as a backup unit in case my Stiletto croaks ? It is in excellent condition btw - thanks in advance.

15. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

If it works, I think that's a good deal.

16. romad

romad New Member

I'd get a new battery for it, though.

17. romad

romad New Member

BTW, the Sirius band antenna on my Jetta works just fine with the XM signal. As for the heat problem, I now have one of my center A/C vents aimed directly at the radio.

HecticArt likes this.
  18. IndustrialH

IndustrialH "So much music .... so little time..."

... he who hesitates - went back and it was gone - oh well so it goes - thanks for the info - I will know better next time.

19. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Meh, you didn't lose anything other than a few electrons over the internet.
    If it would have bought it and it had only been worth $5, you would have wished you had checked first.

20. geosync

geosync Well-Known Member

Just get the original Inno, rock solid baby.