Donovan McNabb said what?

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Sorry, but I can't get over the fact that Donovan McNabb didn't realize an NFL game could end in a tie. How does a 10-year veteran Pro Bowl QB who has been to the Super Bowl not know one of the most fundamental rules of the NFL? Donovan, there was even a tie back in 2002. Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't you in the league at that point? Didn't you notice?

This is something that will probably always stick with McNabb, long after he retires.

Supafly

Oct 12, 2008
I don't see it as a biggie. With the college rule changes concerning overtime and the NFL two point conversion rules.

I didn't know and I don't remember a tie in 2002 (or where I lived or what alias I went by)

Now if he say's he didn't know it was illegal to breed man eating rottweilers to bet money on in his back yard I'd say that was dumb.

sjb4

Oct 12, 2008
I don't think the Eagles coaches knew the OT rules either. Which is worse?

Oct 20, 2008
Golf Course
In addition to that, Safety Brian Dawkins was clearly distraught after the Bengals game and had this to say in the postgame press conference about how tying felt to him: "It's like in 'Talladega Nights' how they say there is only first place and last place." Dawkins was visibly upset and what came to his mind was ... "Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby."!!! If in your darkest hour, you quote lines from absurd Will Ferrell comedies, you have a blessed life. I mean, it's not often a person is called to the morgue to identify a loved one and tells the medical examiner: "It's like in 'Anchorman' when he says: 'It's a formidable scent. It stings the nostrils. I'm gonna be honest with you, Brian, that smells like pure gasoline.'"

Reactions: semipenguin

blyons200

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
I think it's insane that an NFL player, especially a 10 year vet, doesn't know the rules. It makes you wonder, what other rules he doesn't know? Every player should be able to practically recite the rulebook from memory, or at least get 99% on a written exam.

digital100

Oct 15, 2008
Northern Virginia
The referee states the rules of overtime just prior to the coin toss which includes the fact that if neither team score before the end of overtime, the game will end in a tie.

It was ridiculous that he did not know. It was ridiculous that he admitted publicly that he did not know. It is crazy that players from around the league are jumping on his defense.

blyons200

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
The referee states the rules of overtime just prior to the coin toss which includes the fact that if neither team score before the end of overtime, the game will end in a tie.

It was ridiculous that he did not know. It was ridiculous that he admitted publicly that he did not know. It is crazy that players from around the league are jumping on his defense.

Is it any wonder why Philly is so inconsistent? Seems to me McNabb doesn't really care, he's not even listening to the refs when they spell out the rules to him. Gimme my 5 mil, I got some pimping to do.

joe2k4

Nov 12, 2008
Yes its dumb if you were in sales, and you didn't realize you had to sell that wouldn't be good. Same case here if your in the NFL you should at least know the rules. That just shows you the smarts football players have. THey get $10000000 to play, but can't remember basic rules.

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
I don't think the Eagles coaches knew the OT rules either. Which is worse?

Exactly, the coaches should have at least motivated it to the players when it got down to the closing minutes.

"Come on guys! We don't want this to end in a tie to a sub par team we are playing .........."