Dr. Who Noob Advice

Discussion in 'The Studio Lounge' started by Casual Fan, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Casual Fan

Casual Fan Surprisingly nice

So, if one were to want to become a Dr. Who fan, where does one start? First episode of the series with the first Doctor? Or somewhere else?

JHDK likes this.
  2. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

I started with the 4th Doctor. I wouldn't recommend starting with the 1st Doctor. Perhaps the 9th. That's where Memegirl started. It's fairly holographic. You can enter it at any point.

But what would motivate you to want to become a fan? Trying to impress someone? Is it me?

Casual Fan likes this.
  3. JHDK

JHDK Release Robin's Bra

ok i know this is whovian blasphemy but for all my talk about how im into the show im only into the 2005 version of the series. ive never watched the old ones.

i want to say start with 2005 and go from there cause its is a bunch of fun. some of season 1 is a bit corny even by who standards and thats really saying something, so that may turn u off.

there have been 4 new doctors. in order: christopher eccleston, david tennant, matt smith and peter capaldi. i think most people like tennant best of the new guys. personally i like smith the best. i think the combo of him and karen gillan make for the best team. their whole run is lots of fun and the silly/corny factor is done perfectly.

so i say start off with matt smith. his first season starts off really strong and the rest pretty much stay that way.

Casual Fan likes this.
  4. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Did Mrs Casual leave you?

5. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

And I think the 11th Doctor (Matt Smith) episodes are the weakest of the reboot. Smith is good, but the writing is substandard. Everything was about how tormented he was and the history of Gallifrey and bombastic music and it just gets old. On top of that, none of the season arcs make any sense if you try to think about them.

6. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

Netflix has the first episodes of the reboot with Christopher Ecclestone, and Rose.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

7. kingchuck69

kingchuck69 Joker! Joker! Joker!

DEBBIE DOWNER TIME!

There's a ton of lost episodes of Dr. Who from the 60s because the BBC wiped the tapes. Therefore, I'd say begin where ever.

Personally, I'm not a Dr. Who fan, so the issue is moot for me.

8. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Yeah, don't watch any of the missing episodes.

HecticArt and Casual Fan like this.
  9. Casual Fan

My answer would depend on whether or not you said you were impressed.

Now, back to noobness. There's a reboot?

10. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Yup. The 7th Doctor was cancelled in 1989. There was an attempt to start a US version with a movie (and the 8th Doctor) in 1996, but that failed. The 9th Doctor started in 2005 and it's been in production ever since.

If you want to be a fan you need to start researching.

11. Casual Fan

This sounds suspiciously like work.

12. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Not to a fan.

13. JHDK

JHDK Release Robin's Bra

so casual, where did u start?

14. Casual Fan

I've watched everything in the current season with Peter Capaldi. I also started on the first season of the reboot, and I've watched a couple of the very first episodes with the first doctor. They're hard to watch--and I mean that literally. The quality is so poor it's hard to tell what's going on.

But I'm officially a "casual fan." ;)

15. JHDK

JHDK Release Robin's Bra

well u even got me beat with the current season. ive been saving the last 2 cybermen episodes till the xmas special comes out. i want to have some new who to hold me over till next summer.

i understand that a lot of people like the camp factor in the original episodes. to me that seems like something u have to live through originally to dig. like the original star trek, i just dont get the allure. the 05 season of who is more than enough camp for me and the fx are pretty good.

u may be a casual fan now but just wait a few months and we will be debating whats going happening on gallifrey and all that good stuff.

16. Casual Fan

Yeah, the camp in 05 is a bit much. I'll see how it goes.

17. Andrew8468

Andrew8468 Plans on freezing in the dark

How did I miss this thread? I'd suggest watching "An Adventure in Space and Time" which is a dramatized version on how the show started and the 50th Anniversary special "The Day of the Doctor".

Casual Fan likes this.
  18. Casual Fan

Will do! Thanks.

19. JHDK

JHDK Release Robin's Bra

now that the xmas episode is out its time for me to finally watch the season 8 finale. here i go.

20. JHDK

JHDK Release Robin's Bra

here come the cybersquirrels...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

memebag and Casual Fan like this.