Google+ Any interest or meh?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Hangout. Now you can become completely antisocial and never leave home. Google removes the last pieces of real social interaction and replaces it with virtual fun!

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
I think this will flop like Google's previous attempts at social networking (remember Google Buzz?).

You can't fault Google for trying, but it's going to be hard to "out Facebook" Facebook. People already have so much tied up in Facebook...it will be hard to get people to shift.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I think this will flop like Google's previous attempts at social networking (remember Google Buzz?).

You can't fault Google for trying, but it's going to be hard to "out Facebook" Facebook. People already have so much tied up in Facebook...it will be hard to get people to shift.

I remember Google Buzz. This could be yet another social network flop. But Facebook replaced MySpace, and Twitter has probably already replaced Facebook. Google+ could replace Twitter. We'll see.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I am certainly interested and have already has several friends ask me if I was planning to use it once it is rolled out. I am seeing more interest in this than on previous efforts. Look they are trying to revive MySpace. Personally I am more into Facebook than Twitter. Twitter just makes me feel like I am talking to no one at all. Plus none of my family, friends or co-workers will even sign up for Twitter, but they are interested in Google + go figure.

It is rare to happen, but I think Mem maybe right that this could take away more from Twitter than Facebook.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
The point of a "social network" is socialize with your pals. Without invites to your pals, this is silly.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
The point of a "social network" is socialize with your pals. Without invites to your pals, this is silly.

The invites are just during this initial period of time, just like they did with Google Voice and other services.

With any social network you must basically send a friend request/invite to join your circle.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
memes-scumbag-google.jpg

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
how much social networking does a person need?

This just becomes another choice? Why not?

i'm looking forward to it. seems like you have more control over groups and stuff than with facebook.

That is what I am looking at! I think businesses maybe even interested in using this, which would really be a big goal for Google, with the Business Apps cluster.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
I'm going back to MySpace. Justin Timberlake says it's the way of the future (despite the huge drop in value of stock)

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
That is what I am looking at! I think businesses maybe even interested in using this, which would really be a big goal for Google, with the Business Apps cluster.

I agree. We use google docs a little bit at work and I have found it to be a good tool for collaboration between several people. If Google + takes that to a new level then I will surely use it. From what it looks like, it will do a lot of what BlackBerry Messenger did for me and my friends. It was a lot easier to coordinate stuff with BBM versus email or SMS. If this service lets us do that again (we've all since switched to Android) then I will be a happy camper. So I'm not super excited, but definitely interested...

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
got it up and running. very facebook-like but some cool stuff here. i am trying to get my buddies on it so we can "huddle" and see if its like BBM. i need time to mess with it.