How to get ESN from in-dash radio?!

Discussion in 'XM Radios' started by Phillip944, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Phillip944

Phillip944 New Member

Hi,

I am unable to get the ESN from the radio in my 2007 GMC Yukon XL. Sirius' customer service instructed me to hit AUX & preset 1 at the same time. No luck. I've tried every button combination that might work. Still nothing.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue?

Thanks for any help,
    Phillip

2. limegrass69

limegrass69 Confused

On my Acura XM unit, I just tune to Channel 1 and the ESN scrolls up on the display.

3. Brad Bishop

Brad Bishop Member

Also try Channel 0

4. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Channel, not preset.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

5. me_rubin

me_rubin Member

For My Dodge Grand Caravan, the procedure was outlined in the owners manual. It was not easy. You had to push several buttons which gave you the 1st 4 digits then some different combination to get the next 4 etc. I cannot remember all the details, but the owners manual did a pretty good job of telling you had to do it.

6. Phillip944

Phillip944 New Member

Well... I have determined that my radio is "XM ready". There is no actual receiver in my truck. Is it difficult to install a receiver?

7. Brad Bishop

Brad Bishop Member

I'd go to tss-radio.com (I actually just did this), look under the Sirius and then Factory-like in dash and find your vehicle to get the kit.

I think it's a total of 4 plugs (depends on your truck but probably 4 total):
    - one to the back of your radio - you'll probably end up with the interface wire going between the connection from the car to the radio
    - one to the interface box
    - one to the Sirius Direct box
    - an antenna connection

Then you just have to mount the interface/sirius boxes or stuff them somewhere. I mounted mine where the XM Factory tuner would have been with a some dual-lock strips (3M - great stuff; You can find 'Dual Lock' by 3M at, I think, Home Depot and Target).

You should be able to Google how to remove the factory radio from your dash. With some cars it's just a little trim ring and some screws while with others you end up taking of parts of the dash to get to it. It's really nothing but looking at it, if you'd never done it before, it can seem a bit daunting.

With the channels (mostly) aligned now there isn't much difference between the Sirius side and the XM side for the radios. If you're looking for sports you will want to check the packages to see if you're missing out on something you really want (I think MLB is on one but not the other). Generally speaking, XM+BoS gets you near everything and Sirius is missing a sport for some stupid reason. So, consider that.

There are XM kits that seem to do the same thing but they seem cheesier to me.

The Sirius side uses the polar orbital satellites which, from my experience in having both, works better in the car as you'll always have 1 satellite overhead somewhere (mobile XM is great at home with the stationary satellite and what I'd recommend there but on the road it's cut out on me on an interstate before just because some really tall trees were on the south side of an E-W running road.) Either will cut out if you have a decent canopy of trees, though. I just find Sirius seems to handle more conditions better.

This should be a 1-3 hour job. If you go with one of the Sirius kits from TSS-Radio there won't be any cutting of wires, splicing, etc. It'll all be plug-n-play. Mount the antenna as they instruct. To route the wire you can generally just go up under the weather stripping. I find using one of those plastic/nylon flat cooking tools (like a scraper for a pizza stone) works really well. Stiff enough to get up under there, doesn't bind up with the rubber on the weather stripping, and doesn't scratch up your paint. Some cars, like my Honda Civic, don't have weather stripping that you can route it under so I just put mine on my trunk (actually the edge which is not recommended but it works fine).

Good luck!