I joined the Dark Side

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Now you've done it. Ya got him started on playlists. LOL

I like iTunes for music purchases. Don't use it for anything else. But the iTunes library seems to have the most selection. Only drawback is you need to convert the downloads to mp3 so they can be played on non-Apple devices.

Nah I have no beef with the playlist functionality on my iPod or iPhone so there is nothing to fuss about, now the SL2 you don't want to get me started. LOL

I do the same in iTunes change the aac files to mp3. I also love how you can make ringtones doing this.

I was going to say exactly that, but stupidly decided to try and be funny instead.;)

It's all good! You ever get the feeling these guys are just waiting for you and I to nut up on each other! hehehe :p

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
It's all good! You ever get the feeling these guys are just waiting for you and I to nut up on each other! hehehe :p

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6Y9FwBSKdI&feature=fvw]YouTube - Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Fun - 10/04/08[/ame]

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Nah I have no beef with the playlist functionality on my iPod or iPhone so there is nothing to fuss about, now the SL2 you don't want to get me started. LOL

I do the same in iTunes change the aac files to mp3. I also love how you can make ringtones doing this.

Mine don't come as AAC but M4A or something wierd. A little Quicktime player plays them if I double click it before I convert it.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Mine don't come as AAC but M4A or something wierd. A little Quicktime player plays them if I double click it before I convert it.

It is AAC the extension is just unique to iTunes so that it knows rather it is music, ringtones, podcast, tv programming, movies etc.

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
got my 32G ipod touch today. itunes was a bear to get running properly. as soon as i plugged in the touch it complained that it couldnt run and said to reinstall itunes. i reinstalled three times and each time it failed. had to uninstall, reboot, then reinstall. ugh... ive been using itunes on this machine for years with my other 'pods.

itunes headaches aside, this looks like a sweet little machine :)

Argji

Oct 14, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
I've got a 16G Ipod Touch and just love it. Blows the little Nano I had away. I use the Touch in the XM Skydock, listen to the SiriusXM stream via WiFi, check email, the News, Sports, and the usual time-wasters like Facebook and other stupid apps I've installed.

About the only thing I don't do with it is actually listen to my MP3's! :eek:

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Slacker 2.0 coming soon adding the ability to cache stations will certainly make the iPod Touch and iPhone more valuable than other for those of us that own them.

Congrats on you guys that just recently got yours! Proper that is was sort of an odd thing you had going there and it almost sound like the issue was more related to Windows than iTunes. You don't know by now with Windows if you uninstall something, you have to reboot before you reinstall. Heck I even do that on my Mac. LOL ;) Glad you got it worked out!

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
Slacker 2.0 coming soon adding the ability to cache stations will certainly make the iPod Touch and iPhone more valuable than other for those of us that own them.

Congrats on you guys that just recently got yours! Proper that is was sort of an odd thing you had going there and it almost sound like the issue was more related to Windows than iTunes. You don't know by now with Windows if you uninstall something, you have to reboot before you reinstall. Heck I even do that on my Mac. LOL ;) Glad you got it worked out!

Yeah, I can't wait to install slacker and let it cache tunes while I am at home. The iTunes mess was caused by itunes, not windows. The iTunes install package did not like the fact that I had uninstalled the Apple mobile device service that I have no need for (why should I let that run and eat up resources when I don't have an iphone???). Instead of just installing the service fresh when I updated itunes, it just bombed out and forced me to do a total uninstall and reinstall of everything itunes related. I googled around and found that lots of people have seen this issue. Any program that isn't hooked into the OS should never make you reboot during install or uninstall! Itunes certainly isn't alone when it comes to being sloppy in that area though. I got it all sorted out but it took over an hour, which was an hour in which I was really itching to play with my new ipod touch!!

I got an invisible shield installed today and it looks great!

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Yeah, I can't wait to install slacker and let it cache tunes while I am at home. The iTunes mess was caused by itunes, not windows. The iTunes install package did not like the fact that I had uninstalled the Apple mobile device service that I have no need for (why should I let that run and eat up resources when I don't have an iphone???). Instead of just installing the service fresh when I updated itunes, it just bombed out and forced me to do a total uninstall and reinstall of everything itunes related. I googled around and found that lots of people have seen this issue. Any program that isn't hooked into the OS should never make you reboot during install or uninstall! Itunes certainly isn't alone when it comes to being sloppy in that area though. I got it all sorted out but it took over an hour, which was an hour in which I was really itching to play with my new ipod touch!!

I got an invisible shield installed today and it looks great!

Ahh, so basically this big mess was of your own making because you were freaked out about something running in the background that actual uses very little resources at all.

If only it were true that software that isnt' tied to the OS wouldn't require you to reboot, but unfortunately there are many software packages out there that require you reboot after an installation or being uninstalled because they do use some of the windows dll or system files.

Good that you finally figured it out! Invisible Shields are GREAT, I don't have one installed on my iPhone though as I prefer an incase slider case and the screen is anti-scratch and now at over 6 months still not a single scratch one. I wish they had put that type dispaly on the iPod Touch, but the invisible shield will do the job.

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
Ahh, so basically this big mess was of your own making because you were freaked out about something running in the background that actual uses very little resources at all.

If only it were true that software that isnt' tied to the OS wouldn't require you to reboot, but unfortunately there are many software packages out there that require you reboot after an installation or being uninstalled because they do use some of the windows dll or system files.

Good that you finally figured it out! Invisible Shields are GREAT, I don't have one installed on my iPhone though as I prefer an incase slider case and the screen is anti-scratch and now at over 6 months still not a single scratch one. I wish they had put that type dispaly on the iPod Touch, but the invisible shield will do the job.

A media player should not be hooked into system files, and it shouldn't install useless services without at least asking me. that is my big beef with itunes. it may only take a few resources, but those are MY resources and maybe I don't want to give them to a service that is useless to me and not needed on my system. I well know that itunes isn't the only software to do this, but it was the one I had to deal with to get my ipod to work :).

There are a number of other software packages that I no longer use because they behave similarly (adobe pdf reader, real networks, quicktime until itunes forced me to install it, etc...).

I work in a software development/integration environment, so sloppy software really irks me.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
A media player should not be hooked into system files, and it shouldn't install useless services without at least asking me. that is my big beef with itunes. it may only take a few resources, but those are MY resources and maybe I don't want to give them to a service that is useless to me and not needed on my system. I well know that itunes isn't the only software to do this, but it was the one I had to deal with to get my ipod to work :).

There are a number of other software packages that I no longer use because they behave similarly (adobe pdf reader, real networks, quicktime until itunes forced me to install it, etc...).

I work in a software development/integration environment, so sloppy software really irks me.

You just did a beautfiul job of making my point. Those that just install the damn thing without jacking with it HAVE NO PROBLEMS!

These days resource use by this software isn't really that big of a deal with dual core processors and most computers now days have 4GB of memory this isn't a battle worth fighting and/or going through what you did. I can't imagine something so trival irking someone, but different strokes for different folks!

Have fun with the Pod ;)

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
You just did a beautfiul job of making my point. Those that just install the damn thing without jacking with it HAVE NO PROBLEMS!

These days resource use by this software isn't really that big of a deal with dual core processors and most computers now days have 4GB of memory this isn't a battle worth fighting and/or going through what you did. I can't imagine something so trival irking someone, but different strokes for different folks!

Have fun with the Pod ;)

If you're a gamer, every byte of RAM and cpu cycle are precious!

:)