IdRatherBeSkiing's Top 424 as of 2020/08/30

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I said I said I didn't get into music until 1978.
This is something I don't understand. It's like not getting into eating. I'm not sure what one does prior to getting into it.

I was listening to my brother's Blood Sweat & Tears, Chicago, and Maynard Ferguson albums in 1970-71, when I was 8 or 9. I also remember listening to Fool On the Hill when it was new on the radio, and Melanie's Brand New Key. Also B.J. Thomas's Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head, which came out in '69. I was taking music lessons and playing in the school band by that age too. We had a school play where a girl sang Rainy Days and Mondays by the Carpenters.

So were you just listening to the sound of beavers until you were 16?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
This is something I don't understand. It's like not getting into eating. I'm not sure what one does prior to getting into it.

I was listening to my brother's Blood Sweat & Tears, Chicago, and Maynard Ferguson albums in 1970-71, when I was 8 or 9. I also remember listening to Fool On the Hill when it was new on the radio, and Melanie's Brand New Key. Also B.J. Thomas's Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head, which came out in '69. I was taking music lessons and playing in the school band by that age too. We had a school play where a girl sang Rainy Days and Mondays by the Carpenters.

So were you just listening to the sound of beavers until you were 16?

I would hear music if it was on the radio in the kitchen. I heard music if it was in a movie. I heard music if it was on the radio or the 8 track player in my parents car. I had some singers I liked and some I didn't. I never acquired any records or 8-tracks of them on my own. I never listened to the radio on my own. I may have had a record player of some sort but I never used it.

Sometime in 1977 my younger sister (in a plot to someday borrow my records I am sure) told me I should be listening to the radio and told me what station I should be listening to (not the one in the kitchen). So I started. I started getting into the music. Then I got some blank tapes and started recording songs off the radio. Then in 1978 I went to Sam the Record Man and bought my first 45. Desiree by Neil Diamond. I then started listening more, buying more. I bought my Lloyds stereo with AM (maybe FM -- we had no FM in Regina at that point), turntable, 8-track and cassette. I would spend evenings trying to pick up distant AM stations (farthest was Chicago and Vancouver) and listen to them.

At one point in 1978 I had every song on the top 20 from the local radio station on 45 or LP.

So that is what I mean when I say I didn't get into music until 1978. I guess it may be technically 1977. Before then I was not into it. It had no place in my life other than background noise. And yes, this means the first influence in my musical taste was disco.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
I know what @IdRatherBeSkiing means about 'getting into music', instead of music just kinda being around me. I had three stages. Up to about 11 years old, I heard what I heard, I liked what I liked, I responded to the music that happened around me. From 11 to 18 I got into specific bands, I seeked out more music from them, I seeked out new music I might like, I made mixtapes of stuff I liked (taping songs from the radio, for example). At 19, I decided I wanted to dive real deep into music after a friend of mine starting naming every song that came on the radio, and the artist, and sometimes gave a tidbit of trivia about it. I wanted that, so I started doing it too.

347. The Surrey with the Fringe on Top - From Oklahoma

Not my thing but kudos, like the others have said. I have songs like this that I still love from my childhood. The only two that pop into mind at this moment are "Cheer Up Charlie" (Willy Wonka) and "Feed The Birds" (Mary Poppins), but I know there's more. They aren't on my 500+ list, but they have a special place in my heart.

346. Wild Thing - Tone-Loc

Classic. It's on my 500+ list.

345. Jane - Jefferson Starship

Great song (aside from that disco-rock part "Were all those night we spent together..."). I also really dig "Stranger". But neither are on my 500+ list.

Reactions: IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
344. Hit Me With Your Best Shot - Pat Benatar
Solid tune from a solid artist.

343. Let It Ride - Bachman-Turner Overdrive
Another solid rock song (Canadian).

342. Oowatanite - April Wine
Another solid Canadian rock song.

Reactions: HecticArt

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
341 Rock Lobster - The B-52's
This song was great to dance to. If I tried now I would spend a week in bed recovering. The video sound isn't mixed that well.

340. 9 To 5 - Dolly Parton
Guilty pleasure. I liked the movie too. Dabney Coleman played the perfect jerk perfectly.

339. I Love The Nightlife (Disco 'Round) - Alicia Bridges
A stalwart from my disco days.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
341 Rock Lobster - The B-52's

I've talked about how this is on my worst list. It's gotta just be me, because so many people love it.

340. 9 To 5 - Dolly Parton

A guilty pleasure of mine.

339. I Love The Nightlife (Disco 'Round) - Alicia Bridges

ACK-SHONE! Another guilty pleasure.

Reactions: IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
338. Sign of the Gypsy Queen - April Wine
Another April Wine song on the countdown. I have seen them twice (once in 1980 and once about 5 years ago). I should have seen them a third time but you know, covid.

337. Mickey - Toni Bazil
One if the quintessential 80s 1 hit wonders. This may have been the first video I ever saw too.

336. You Better Run - Pat Benatar
Another of her songs on my list. I guess I like her too.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
335. Me and Bobby McGee - Janis Joplin
She had a unique voice.

334. Taking Care of Business - Bachman-Turner Overdrive
Another solid song from this Canadian group.

333. Rapture - Blondie
Probably some of the worst wrap on the planet (General Hospi-tale from yesterday's countdown gives it a good run) but a pleasant melody and a great song.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
She had a unique voice.

Definitely!

Great song!

And this...

333. Rapture - Blondie

Yeah this is a song I don't like, but for some reason listen to it once in a while. It is a good groove, with a trainwreck of a rap over it. If it was part of rap growing in popularity back in the day, I'm thankful for it though.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
She had a unique voice.

Indeed. She was good, and gave female singers permission to sing it strong and with soul, but I get tired of her voice pretty quickly.

Another solid song from this Canadian group.

My band in high school used this song as our warm-up every week at practice.
Loved it, but I can still hear our singer (that never should have been allowed to have a mic) butcher it.
It's refreshing to hear them sing it, but I still get chills for a moment when I think back on those practices. All of those horrible practices.
333. Rapture - Blondie
Probably some of the worst wrap on the planet (General Hospi-tale from yesterday's countdown gives it a good run) but a pleasant melody and a great song.

Agreed. The song is fun, and the rap is horrible.
I still like it for the silliness of it though.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
Loved it, but I can still hear our singer (that never should have been allowed to have a mic) butcher it.
It's refreshing to hear them sing it, but I still get chills for a moment when I think back on those practices. All of those horrible practices.

This makes me lol. I don't have this exact experience but I can relate in other ways. Especially those kid bands in the 90s who tried to cover Korn, Tool and other complex songs. "I like this song" equals "we should play this song". Uh, no you shouldn't. Stick to liking it!

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON

Everybody has their "Horse With No Name" story.