iPhone 4 Now Available (DRC Member Reviews and Discussion)

Evil_Ernie

Smell my finger
Oct 11, 2008
Hell
AppleInsider | Apple unveils iPhone 4 with 326ppi display, gyroscope coming June 24

Yep, it's the same as the leaked image from a few weeks ago.

Also, if your AT&T contract expires any time this year, you are eligible for an upgrade when it comes out. Of course I'm not eligible, so I will wait for the 5th generation model. :)

Oh yeah, it's still an AT&T exclusive. Maybe by the 5th gen model it will be open to more carriers.

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
Other than the nice looking new hardware, the announcement didn't have anything too mindblowing. The camera upgrades look pretty nice though. The 6-month bump in upgrade eligibility makes me think that Verizon might get the phone later this year, or they want to get you locked into the new tiered pricing system. Although I understood that an upgrade meant you get to keep your current unlimited plan so who knows. Interesting that Netflix was such a big part of the presentation considering the new limited data plans.

J3ff

Oct 13, 2008
"Phone calls like you've never seen before" (from the above link)

*Unless you own an HTC Evo on Sprint.......then you've seen it before..

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Other than the nice looking new hardware, the announcement didn't have anything too mindblowing. The camera upgrades look pretty nice though. The 6-month bump in upgrade eligibility makes me think that Verizon might get the phone later this year, or they want to get you locked into the new tiered pricing system. Although I understood that an upgrade meant you get to keep your current unlimited plan so who knows. Interesting that Netflix was such a big part of the presentation considering the new limited data plans.

Yeah the overall presentation was sort of just a refresher from the iOS 4.0 demo done earlier. I was thinking wow, I have hear all this again!

If you currently have an iPhone then upgrading will not impact your current unlimited data plan. That will only impact those adding a new line or getting service for the first time.

I was not surprised to see Netflix. I think there are many, many that use Netflix that never do it on 3G, they always use Wifi which absolutely makes sense. No doubt the change in data plans is going to impact things. No way that it couldn't, but in some areas like this for example. I just think new folks will learn to use Wifi instead of just leaving their phones on 3G all the time.

I thought the Wifi Video calling was pretty cool, I don't think the EVO has software for that yet. Like one blogger posted that is Apple, if they give you a front facing phone, they will give the some software to do something with it. Not just include it for the sake of doing so. iMovie looks like it is going to be sweet too!

That display I can't wait to see, another surprise in that the resolution is great. Like I said in another thread, same size screen, but the resolution kicks it up big time with no cost to battery life. 7 hours of 3G, I can dig it!

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
If you currently have an iPhone then upgrading will not impact your current unlimited data plan. That will only impact those adding a new line or getting service for the first time.

I thought the Wifi Video calling was pretty cool, I don't think the EVO has software for that yet. Like one blogger posted that is Apple, if they give you a front facing phone, they will give the some software to do something with it. Not just include it for the sake of doing so. iMovie looks like it is going to be sweet too!

That display I can't wait to see, another surprise in that the resolution is great. Like I said in another thread, same size screen, but the resolution kicks it up big time with no cost to battery life. 7 hours of 3G, I can dig it!

I don't have an iphone, so I'd be coming over from a blackberry data plan. I've read conflicting stuff regarding being grandfathered if I were to upgrade to the new iphone. Probably won't know for sure until people in other forums start doing it and posting their results.

I think the EVO already does have video calling. I thought I read that basic service was free and they offered a "premium" package for like $5 a month. It's some other company that handles it instead of Sprint. I thought video calling would be gimmicky, but at the presentation it looked pretty cool. That would be nice when on travel and you want to see your wife and kid(s).

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I don't have an iphone, so I'd be coming over from a blackberry data plan. I've read conflicting stuff regarding being grandfathered if I were to upgrade to the new iphone. Probably won't know for sure until people in other forums start doing it and posting their results.

I think the EVO already does have video calling. I thought I read that basic service was free and they offered a "premium" package for like $5 a month. It's some other company that handles it instead of Sprint. I thought video calling would be gimmicky, but at the presentation it looked pretty cool. That would be nice when on travel and you want to see your wife and kid(s).

Everything I have read on AT&T web site, Apple web site and many blogs indicates to me that if you currently have an unlimited data plan on any smartphone, you can keep it regardless of which other smartphone you upgrade too.

I have no idea about the EVO as none of the many YouTube vids I watched show that feature. But on a couple of blog sites though clearly Apple bias blog sites, they stated that while the EVO was capable there was no software on it to do it. Again I have no idea and for anyone that has one, I would be glad to stand corrected if I am wrong. I probably should not have repeated that blog info, but I thought those guys knew what they were talking about.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
Yeah the overall presentation was sort of just a refresher from the iOS 4.0 demo done earlier. I was thinking wow, I have hear all this again!

I was not surprised to see Netflix. I think there are many, many that use Netflix that never do it on 3G, they always use Wifi which absolutely makes sense. No doubt the change in data plans is going to impact things. No way that it couldn't, but in some areas like this for example. I just think new folks will learn to use Wifi instead of just leaving their phones on 3G all the time.

Actually you can do video calling with the Fring App. I'm going to do it as soon as I get home from work. A friend of mind did it today and said it works good. Qik will have their new app out soon. One thing I have to give Sprint and the EVO... they will let you do video calls over 3G. I don't know why Apple agreed to wifi only? Wifi is not as widely avalible as 3G. That one kind of made me scratch my head. I know they want to limit the data and all, but geez you take all the fun out if it.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Actually you can do video calling with the Fring App. I'm going to do it as soon as I get home from work. A friend of mind did it today and said it works good. Qik will have their new app out soon. One thing I have to give Sprint and the EVO... they will let you go video calls over 3G. I don't know why Apple agreed to wifi only? Wifi is not as widely avalible as 3G. That one kind of made me scratch my head. I know they want to limit the data and all, but geez you take all the fun out if it.

Sweet that is good info and I stand corrected!

Yeah I found it a bit odd to not do the video over 3G too, but one thing for sure about doing it via Wifi it will be more reliable. It could be the technology that Apple is using requires more bandwidth than 3G and/or AT&T wanted to give. Then again it makes one wonder if this wasn't changed at the last minute due to AT&T's recent data plan changes.

I don't see myself regardless of what phone I have doing video calling. It is a cool feature and I may play with it once or twice, but then it would likely never get used again. To me this is still sort in the early stages of where we hope to get some day.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
Sweet that is good info and I stand corrected!

Yeah I found it a bit odd to not do the video over 3G too, but one thing for sure about doing it via Wifi it will be more reliable. It could be the technology that Apple is using requires more bandwidth than 3G and/or AT&T wanted to give. Then again it makes one wonder if this wasn't changed at the last minute due to AT&T's recent data plan changes.

I don't see myself regardless of what phone I have doing video calling. It is a cool feature and I may play with it once or twice, but then it would likely never get used again. To me this is still sort in the early stages of where we hope to get some day.

Me either. I may do it to see my daughter when I'm away but thats about it. I'm trying to figure this Fring thing out. I'm trying to call my friend that did this, but he is not answering. It looks like the Fring app has skype and some other things. I really have to check this out.

Hey did Steve even mention the new AT&T data plans? I bet he really wasn't happy with that.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
It'll be nice to have the front-facing camera for Skype Video chats and maybe playing around on U-Stream among other things. I was looking for the 3GS but I'll wait until I can get up the funds for a 16GB iPhone 4. Although If I'm doing video chats I may consider the 32GB model.

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
I have a question: WHEN ARE THEY COMING OUT WITH A NEW IPOD TOUCH! Oh wait, they did. It was called the iPad... :cry:

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Me either. I may do it to see my daughter when I'm away but thats about it. I'm trying to figure this Fring thing out. I'm trying to call my friend that did this, but he is not answering. It looks like the Fring app has skype and some other things. I really have to check this out.

Hey did Steve even mention the new AT&T data plans? I bet he really wasn't happy with that.

I was planning to watch the presentation tonight, but for the first time Apple didn't have today's presentation on the web site tonight. Maybe it will go up tomorrow sometimes. I don't recall in reading through the play by play on Mac World them mentioning him saying anything about AT&T's new data plans.

I did watch Apple videos tonight on the Face Talk.. I have to admit no matter which phone you have video talking looks pretty damn sweet! I don't see myself using it, but as you said on those rare occasions. I think Steve Jobs has a bad habit of making it sound like Apple is first in the game when often it is not true. The one thing I see is that this iPhone will likely continue to sell at record pace and make Apple a lot of money and after all isn't that Jobs primary purpose being CEO. Their use of revolutionary, you've never seen anything like it. Those are simple buzz words to drive folks to go out and buy and love it or hate it, it freaking works!

It'll be nice to have the front-facing camera for Skype Video chats and maybe playing around on U-Stream among other things. I was looking for the 3GS but I'll wait until I can get up the funds for a 16GB iPhone 4. Although If I'm doing video chats I may consider the 32GB model.

In considering where Sprint and Verizon are with coverage in my area. Even though I am really turned on by the EVO and even the Incredible. I think I will likely go ahead and upgrade to the iPhone 4 and hang with AT&T another 2 years. Maybe by then Sprint and Verizon will actually have decent coverage in this area and I can consider the alternatives in terms of a different phone. I'll definitely go with a 32gb black. I don't care much for the white.

I logged into AT&T tonight and it says that I am eligible for the upgrade at the lowest price. I am shocked because I purchased my last one in June last year and really didn't think I'd be upgrade eligible. But since they decided to roll back the upgrade, I am covered. I even acted like I was going to do an upgrade to see what pricing it gave me on the existing 3GS and it is the lower price. So I am good!

I have a question: WHEN ARE THEY COMING OUT WITH A NEW IPOD TOUCH! Oh wait, they did. It was called the iPad... :cry:

Yep, got the iPad too, but it is far from being just an iPod Touch. Is that a bit of sarcasm? LOL They may share OS's and even a lot of apps, but that big screen, processor and graphics allow you to enjoy it so much more than an iPod Touch. I would not have purchased myself one, but I was blessed to get one none the less. What is strange is I still use my iPod Touch in my car as my sat radio and now Slacker cache player! Everything else I do goes to the iPhone or iPad!

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
I was reading some comments on a few tech sites and one of them really stuck with me. Why doesn't Apple have a data off switch? The guy that commented said he called AT&T and asked if the new Iphone would have a switch to turn data off. He was told no it would not. The guy went on to say he did not have a problem with AT&T's new plans. It will end up saving him money in the long run. He likes the fact that he can put his son on the 200MB plan if he doesn't keep his grades up. What got him mad is the fact that there is no switch to turn off data once you hit the 200MB limit. He did state that his Iphone will pull in data even when he's not on an app or the Internet.

So my question to you guys like above is why won't they provide an off switch? I can understand why they didn't before, but now its a whole new ball game. I'm sure they don't want an off switch because they can make money off people's mistakes. To me it makes no sense to say we want to limit data, but we're not going to give you the option to just turn it off. That guy was told point blank by a customer service rep that there will be no off switch. I just think thats kinda wrong. My EVO and I think every Android phone has a data off switch. I have unlimited through Sprint, but if they change like AT&T I have a cut off switch. I'm instrested to see what you guys think. You especially DAB.

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
same reason they won't let you shut off your ability to make phone calls when you hit your limit: overage charges make them tons and tons of cash!

The craptastic thing about data limits is just what you said, smartphones are always using data even if you are not actively doing something. So they can nickel and dime you (or $5 and $20 you really) for just having your phone on after hitting your data cap.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Since I don't have an iPhone 4, I cannot say if it has this ability or not. I do know the iPad allows you to turn off Data, so certainly this is doable. I can also say that my current 3GS has no ability to turn off data. It could be that Apple will need to add this as a simple setting as they have on the iPad. Clearly this change in data plans came up what a week before Apple's big iPhone announcement. If the requirement had continued to push folks to subscribe to an unlimited data plan would lthis really matter? NO! It only matters now that they have gone to limited plans. So, it will be up to Apple to add this ability.

We can say they should have always had this ability regardless and that is probably true. But when you are basically being forced to do an all you can eat plan, it really didn't matter one way or the other. Well now it does! It is likely Apple will respond by adding this ability in an update. I don't know if iOS4.0 will come out of the gate with it because from what I understand the gold master has been released already, so it is doubtful they will go back at this point and add this. Hopefully they will as they should!

Reactions: Ehilbert1

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
same reason they won't let you shut off your ability to make phone calls when you hit your limit: overage charges make them tons and tons of cash!

The craptastic thing about data limits is just what you said, smartphones are always using data even if you are not actively doing something. So they can nickel and dime you (or $5 and $20 you really) for just having your phone on after hitting your data cap.

Since I don't have an iPhone 4, I cannot say if it has this ability or not. I do know the iPad allows you to turn off Data, so certainly this is doable. I can also say that my current 3GS has no ability to turn off data. It could be that Apple will need to add this as a simple setting as they have on the iPad. Clearly this change in data plans came up what a week before Apple's big iPhone announcement. If the requirement had continued to push folks to subscribe to an unlimited data plan would lthis really matter? NO! It only matters now that they have gone to limited plans. So, it will be up to Apple to add this ability.

We can say they should have always had this ability regardless and that is probably true. But when you are basically being forced to do an all you can eat plan, it really didn't matter one way or the other. Well now it does! It is likely Apple will respond by adding this ability in an update. I don't know if iOS4.0 will come out of the gate with it because from what I understand the gold master has been released already, so it is doubtful they will go back at this point and add this. Hopefully they will as they should!

I hope Apple adds that feature just to piss off ATT.

I can always count on you guys. FREE REP FOR THE BOTH OF YOU!!!!!!!!!!!! :bigclap:

Reactions: ProperModulation

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
I can always count on you guys. FREE REP FOR THE BOTH OF YOU!!!!!!!!!!!! :bigclap:

heh...

I've been way into researching smarthphones lately since I want to get a new one this year. I guess I got bored with home theater PC's/boxes since their development seems to have stalled. I must fulfill my need for new gadgets!

:)

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana

I was a sat radio junkie, then I sort of dove off the deep end last year into the smartphone world. I love checking them all out regardless who makes them. I am all about choice, not only in regards to phones, but carriers too. I hate that I am sort of stuck like Chunk with AT&T being the only real viable alternative where I live, so that pretty much leaves me stuck with the iPhone too in terms of having a quality smartphone.

There is much I don't like about Apple and there is much that I do. What is weird is my AT&T experiences are all good, I don't have issues with dropped calls or slow data. So, I guess that is a good thing. Still wish Verizon and Sprint were better here.

It is always great fun to discuss these new toys with you guys!