Itunes Really Sucks

Discussion in 'Apple' started by IdRatherBeSkiing, Oct 28, 2014.

1. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Let us know how it works out.

2. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

Some of the duplicates are live albums. Or special session albums. Pain in the ass.

3. IdRatherBeSkiing

Rather than start a new thread -- I notice now when I am working on adding music or adjusting music in MY iTunes library, on the right it shows biographies of the artist and a whole bunch of useless crap like 'similar artists'. How do I disable this complete waste of space? It also cuts off the right side of some long song names to accommodate this shit. I can't seem to find any options to kill it.

4. Aaron

Aaron Moderator

I'm not seeing any of that in my music library. Are you in "My Music" or "Playlists" view?

5. IdRatherBeSkiing

MyMusic. I turned off the For You (I hope).

Yes -- turned off.

6. jef

jef Power Pig, Hello!

I think the only way to make that go away is to change the view from Artists to Albums. It's the space that used to be "Genius" and now seems dedicated to Apple Music. There's a dropdown in the upper right corner (at least on the Mac version - can't speak to the Win version).

The downside being that you:
    a) have to open up each album separately to see songs.
    b) encounter "place remembering" bugs. I've seen this many times where you have an album open, pop in a new disc to rip, then go back to Albums and find yourself back at the top of your Album list. I *think* the rationale here is that you told it to rip the disc, so it's taking you to "Recently Added", which is at the top, because you added something. They may call it a feature, I call it a bug.

Screen Shot 2015-08-09 at 6.05.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-08-09 at 6.07.09 PM.png

IdRatherBeSkiing likes this.
  7. IdRatherBeSkiing

I like the Artists view. It remembers the last artist I have clicked on when I rip something new.

I have noticed it is not doing it to all artists. And some apparently I am "following" although I get this for some artists I am not following. As I never followed any artists anywhere, I am unclear how it is making this decision. As a precaution I am unfollowing all I see following but so far no difference.

The strength of the iPhone has always been the music integration for me. This is turning that strength into a weakness.

8. IdRatherBeSkiing

Another annoyance: when editing playlists or looking at a certain artist, the background will change various colours. I like the old just plain white background. I have no frikin idea what the new background colours mean other than they are but ugly.

ETA: I found the setting to turn this feature off [Edit/Preferences/General/Use Custom Colours]. Found out I can turn off that annoying love button too [Edit/Preferences/General/Ratings=Stars].

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  9. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

For someone who hates iTunes so much, you seem to use it a lot.

10. IdRatherBeSkiing

No choice if one has an iPhone or iPad.

It's still easier than Android as far as I can see. Just seems to be buggy.

Sent from my iPhone5 using Tapatalk

11. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

I have an iPad. I rarely use iTunes.

12. IdRatherBeSkiing

How do you organize your music on it? And your pics?

Sent from my iPhone5 using Tapatalk

13. IdRatherBeSkiing

Just a note, re-reading the original issue I had, this appears to have been fixed by the latest version of iTunes. One step forward, 2 steps back as they say.

14. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Not sure what you mean. My pics are organized by date. I have a some music playlists that I rarely edit. The rest is organized by meta info.

What kind of organization do you do?

15. IdRatherBeSkiing

I have several playlists. I make tweaks all the time. I am adding pics all the time based upon catagories. When I sync I have to pick and choose as I have more pics & music that will fit on my phone and iPad.

Do you have your pics on your PC as well? Or just on your iPad?

16. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

I don't sync unless I have to, like when I get a new device.

Most of my pics are in Google's cloud.

17. IdRatherBeSkiing

So therefore inaccessible if you have no data. I know its rare but happens enough for me to be a concern.

18. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

I rarely look at my pictures.