Kindle Paperwhite

Discussion in 'Gadget Corner' started by memebag, Sep 6, 2012.

1. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Amazon just announced its new, glowing black & white Kindle. It looked promising, but then I saw it weighs more than the old, non-glowing Kindle. Not a lot more, but enough that I probably won't buy one. The best thing about my Kindle is how little it weighs. I can hold it comfortably for hours and hours in any position.

2. TSS Pete

TSS Pete Member

I have the Kindle Fire, and it's pretty awesome. They also announced a HD Kindle Fire, but the Fire already has great screen resolution.

I'm am curious about the battery with an 8 week charge though.

3. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Who am I kidding. I'll buy one.

4. Biaviian

Biaviian Well-Known Member

You sound like DAB.

5. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

Sounds too much like paperweight.

6. hyson

hyson Forum Jerk

Mrs Hyson hasn't put her Kindle down since Christmas 2011.

Best gift ever.

I'm a bit jealous. I read that Kindle has 22% of the tablet market. I was shocked it was that high.

7. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

I know, that sucks, doesn't it? I pre-ordered one shortly after I started this thread. It's only $120, and I get a lot of use out of my previous generation Kindle.

8. Casual Fan

Casual Fan Surprisingly nice

I still have my original nook.

I guess B&N will have to counter Amazon's price move and probably upgrade their screen resolution...although the reviews I'm reading say people prefer the nook's bezel (for holding the damned thing) and the presence of physical buttons for turning pages.

Nice job by Amazon--the screen is supposed to be killer.

9. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

I'm also concerned about the lack of page turn buttons. I got a Kindle (not the Kindle Touch) so it wouldn't have a touch screen. Most of the time that's what I want because I don't want to worry about how I hold it, but when I need to navigate, my old brain gets confused. I'm so used to the iPad's touch screen that I find it hard to shift gears when dealing with other technologies. Sometimes I sit there touching screens over and over before I realize they aren't touch screens.

The claim I've read a couple of places is that the Kindle's illumination is more even than the Nook's. We'll see on 10/3.

10. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Well I can honestly tell you guys I am NOT getting one and actually mean it. Now the iPhone 5, iPad Mini those are almost a give me! :) Already got someone lined up to buy my iPhone 4S and current iPad. hehehe

The Kindle Fire HD has great specs, but I still think in the 7" model the Google Nexus 7 is better because its more open not so locked to Amazon's ecosystem. What I don't get with Amazon is they are doing just what Apple does. You take the Amazon's Prime Video service, they refuse to release a standard Android app available for other Android devices, but yet released one for iOS.

11. Casual Fan

Anyone who'd like to take up a collection to buy DAB a dedicated e-reader, let me know. He won't know what to do with a device that only does one thing! ;)

12. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

You are right my brother and have ZERO desire for an e-reader that does one thing, but I guess I could gift it! hehehe

13. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Six or seven ounces. That's the selling point for a dedicated e-reader. I can and do read on my iPad and my phone, but I prefer reading on my Kindle. I spent an hour this afternoon laying on the patio couch reading Trainspotting. The iPad is too heavy for that.

14. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

I am not saying these are not worth buying, I am just saying I have no interest. I can do the same with my Nexus 7. I do agree the iPad is too heavy and big for comfortable reading. Which is why many hope the iPad Mini turns out to be true.

15. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

I dig the Nexus 7, and may buy one yet, but it weighs twice as much as my Kindle. I'm old and frail.

16. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

LOL, get to the gym!

I think this new line of readers though that Amazon is releasing is going to do well for them, especially folks already tied to their ecosystem. They were smart and took page right out of Apple's playbook without doing the copying that Samsung did.

17. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

18. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Mine came today. It's nice. The dispay is bright and clear. The interface is much improved over my last gen non-touch Kindle. I'm still wary of a screen I can't touch without the page turning, but I like the absence of buttons on the bezel. The dictionaries and Wikipedia integration are top notch.

It weighs 25% more than the old Kindle, but still about 1/3rd as much as a trade paperback.

I'm most excited about real Helvetica. I'm a big Helvetica fan. We'll see how well it fits an e-reader, but so far it's gorgeous.

The glow is pretty much perfect. Very even, easy on the eyes, and useful. I can't use my old Kindle in this room with the lights set this low, but the new one looks great.

19. Casual Fan

I look forward to besting your Amazon technology at a future date to be determined.

20. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Amazon has a new version of the Paperwhite coming out next month. It's a little faster, has a little more contrast, yadda yadda. Probably not a big enough improvement to justify $120 on an upgrade, but I use mine so much and $1,500 fell out of the sky, so I pre-ordered one.