Looking for an MP3 player

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Please describe what you mean by "cleanup". I'd like to fix mine if possible.

You have to take a paperclip and when the unit is off, put the clip in the reset hole while holding the play button and then turning it on. You will get a menu. One of the options is cleanup. This will cleanup the filesystem. Once done, it will reboot (or you select the reboot option). You will loose your settings but not your playlists or MP3s.

RyeGuy

Oct 16, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
You have to take a paperclip and when the unit is off, put the clip in the reset hole while holding the play button and then turning it on. You will get a menu. One of the options is cleanup. This will cleanup the filesystem. Once done, it will reboot (or you select the reboot option). You will loose your settings but not your playlists or MP3s.

Thanks, cleanup seems to have fixed my truncated artist and song titles.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
The only other negative I've found is that the battery seems to drain more quickly than I would have expected.

Really? I haven't had mine drain that fast but I always have it locked when in my pocket. When locked, the screen goes off. I notice when I don't lock it, the screen remains lit which would probably drain the battery.

RyeGuy

Oct 16, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
Really? I haven't had mine drain that fast but I always have it locked when in my pocket. When locked, the screen goes off. I notice when I don't lock it, the screen remains lit which would probably drain the battery.

I'm sure that's the case. I rarely lock mine, only when it's going to be in my pocket. Most of the time it's on my desk at work, playing away unlocked.

RyeGuy

Oct 16, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
I just now got around to learning about how to use the "selected music" feature and how to manage playlists, both in WMP and on-the-fly on the Zen. This is a great player!

With 16GB, I've got over a hundred CD's loaded and the thing isn't even half full!

And I may have mentioned this before, but it feels a lot sturdier than my old iRiver Clix 2nd gen. The Clix always felt fragile and precious. The Zen feels solid.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
Good choice!
I have an old nomad 3 thats still kicking ass. and both my kids have 4gb zen v plus'.

do your new ones record audio? and in wav?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I just now got around to learning about how to use the "selected music" feature and how to manage playlists, both in WMP and on-the-fly on the Zen. This is a great player!

With 16GB, I've got over a hundred CD's loaded and the thing isn't even half full!

And I may have mentioned this before, but it feels a lot sturdier than my old iRiver Clix 2nd gen. The Clix always felt fragile and precious. The Zen feels solid.

I am having some issues with the on/off switch. It seems to be a bit non-sensitive to the on position.

I have started taking whole albums since space is so much not an issue.

Good choice!
I have an old nomad 3 thats still kicking ass. and both my kids have 4gb zen v plus'.

do your new ones record audio? and in wav?

Yes it records audio. I have never tried it so not sure what format.

Reactions: xan_user

RyeGuy

Oct 16, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
I am having some issues with the on/off switch. It seems to be a bit non-sensitive to the on position.

I have started taking whole albums since space is so much not an issue.

Yes it records audio. I have never tried it so not sure what format.

Yes, I have also noticed that you have to really hold the switch in the "ON" position for an unusually LONG period of time. Guessing it's by design so that you dont' accidentally turn it on.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Yes, I have also noticed that you have to really hold the switch in the "ON" position for an unusually LONG period of time. Guessing it's by design so that you dont' accidentally turn it on.

I was starting to wonder if I needed to return it. I guess I don't need to if it is a design feature.