Memebag Buy A Bicycle

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Got a new rear tire today. My pedal hoofed ass wore out the tread of the original after 1,000 miles of supporting all my weight. The threads or whatever that stuff is underneath the tread was beginning to stick out in multiple places. That tire was a trooper. Here's to another thousand on this new one!

My goal is to ride at least 1,000 miles in 2018. It's a relatively easy goal seeing how I hit 950 in 2017 and didn't get the bike until mid February but it still means I need to keep a pace of 83.3 miles per month. After my ride today I'm at 84 for January. So far so good. We'll see how it looks a few months from now.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Outstanding, Koop. I bet you can do 2,000 miles in 2018 with ease.

Saturday was cold, but 60 Saint Arnold bike team members showed up for the first group ride of the year. Started at 32°F, average 36°F. Some did 30 miles, others 40. Then we warmed up in the brewery with some beers.

Today it was in the 60s. Bright sun, blue skies, MLK Day parade. I did another 40 today.

My big goal this year is to do the Houston to Galveston and back unsupported century. My little goals are 4,000 miles, MS150, Bike Around the Bay and Katy Flatland Century.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Like a disgusting, gluttonous pig I thought it was a good idea to pound an entire Stouffer's family sized mac and cheese for lunch today. The freaking thing clearly says on the package that it serves 5. Hah! So, as a result of feeling bad about myself for the rest of the day I've decided to go on my Delray loop bike ride but this time I'm going to try and extend it an extra 7 miles to make it an even 25. It still won't be enough to burn off that entire meal but at least it will make me feel better about myself. Plus its a nice, cool 70 degrees here right now and nighttime bike rides are fun.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Tuesday night my bike team had our first meeting of the year. They open the brewery just for us for 2 hours and give us all the beer we want. It was a good meeting. There has never been a bad one. The kitchen was open. I had a Cajun bratwurst. It was delicious.

Reactions: JHDK and HecticArt

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Tuesday night my bike team had our first meeting of the year. They open the brewery just for us for 2 hours and give us all the beer we want. It was a good meeting. There has never been a bad one. The kitchen was open. I had a Cajun bratwurst. It was delicious.
That'd go good with a family-size Stouffer's mac-n-cheese.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I bought this bag 9 months ago for $19.

It treated me well until last week when the zippers decided to break. It was relatively cheap so it's not that upsetting but it still sucks. I've had my backpack for 10+ years and it's nothing fancy, just a Jansport, and the zippers are fine. Anyway I decided to go with a somewhat more expensive one this time around. It gets great reviews so hopefully this one will last longer.

Besides the zippers breaking, my only gripe with the old bag was that it was a bit too small. This one solves that problem while still not being huge and unwieldy like a pannier bag.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I have a Jansport backpack I bought in September of 1983. Still in perfect shape.

My hybrid has a rack with big trunk bag and panniers. I haven't been on that bike in years. My road bike has a tiny Timbuk2 bag tucked under the seat. It carries an inner tube, CO2 cartridges, tire tool and multi tool.

I was supposed to drive out to Fayetteville for a team ride this morning, but I would have had to get up at 5am to make that. I didn't get to bed until 2am last night, so I slept in (7 something) and did a solo ride. Very windy.

Reactions: JHDK

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I'm digging this new bike bag. It has much more space and the zippers (that were the problem with the last bag) are clearly bigger and stronger. I worried it would be a pain to attach it to the bike since this one uses Velcro instead of buckles but I've taken it on 2 rides so far and it's fine. It only takes like 30 seconds more effort so whatever, it's worth it for all the added space and strength. It looks kinda like the bags you see bike cops use.

uZMgOoD.jpg

IWpw5Cp.jpg

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I'm trying to motivate myself to get off my lazy, pedal hoofed, fat, TV binging ass and go for a ride tonight. I've done a total of 208.3 miles so far this year so I'm on track with my 1,000 mile goal for the year but a nice 20 mile ride tonight would help the cause. It's also in the 60's right now so it's really the perfect weather for a ride. I need to stop being lazy and get it done.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Did 18.4 miles.

My weird logic is that if I talk about it here and then don't do it I'll feel shamed so it gives me a push to get out there.

Reactions: HecticArt

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I only ride when I want to. If I'm not sick, I pretty much always want to.

Tree pollen is crazy here right now. It knocked me out during last Saturday's ride, then got me several more times all through the week. I'm feeling better this morning. I want to ride, but Tour de Houston is tomorrow and I don't want to be crippled by allergies before that. I'm going to try riding with a surgical mask on this morning and see how that goes.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
My ride bore unexpected fruit. I did my normal stop at Walmart and found that they had Cracker Barrel, Gouda cheese for only $2 per 7 oz chunk. Now usually the Gouda I buy is from some fancy little Holland website in Michigan and it's super expensive so I bought 1 chunk to give it a try. It's really good. Of course it's not the aged stuff that is my true love but for $2 it's more than good enough. You all know my unhealthy obsession with on sale cheese so I think I'll take another ride tonight and go buy a ton of the stuff.

I only ride when I want to. If I'm not sick, I pretty much always want to.

Most of the time I want to but sometimes, like last night, the conditions are perfect but I'm not really feeling it so I need to motivate myself to get out there. Once I start I always enjoy the ride.

Tree pollen is crazy here right now.

base_tablets_card_2X.png

Reactions: memebag

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Claritin doesn't work for me. I take Benadryl, Zyrtec and Flonase every day at breakfast. I also irrigate my sinuses and inhale steam. The tree pollen last Saturday was strong enough to get through all of that and make me feel like I had the flu.

Today I learned I can't ride a bike with a surgical mask on.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Did a 23.5 mile ride today. My longest single ride of the year so far. But tragedy struck. I lost my tail light! :(. I clip it onto the the back of my bike bag, there is a place made for just that, and somewhere along the line it fell off. Guess I'll have to get a new one now. Good news is a 2 pack is only $8 on Amazon so it's not a huge deal, but still a bummer.

Reactions: memebag

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Did a 23.5 mile ride today. My longest single ride of the year so far. But tragedy struck. I lost my tail light! :(. I clip it onto the the back of my bike bag, there is a place made for just that, and somewhere along the line it fell off. Guess I'll have to get a new one now. Good news is a 2 pack is only $8 on Amazon so it's not a huge deal, but still a bummer.

The proper course of action in such a situation is to bury your whole bike at sea.

Reactions: JHDK