Most Hated Songs

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
There's a tendency (like IRBS has with the Beatles) to normalize music that seems to have been out there forever, and not consider that it was groundbreaking when released.
I think a lot of music is not just the music but when you experience the music and how. By the time I had heard the Beatles, their sound was dated. Doesn't mean I don't recognize what they did for music at the time. But they don't do anything for me. If I was 10 years older probably different.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I think a lot of music is not just the music but when you experience the music and how. By the time I had heard the Beatles, their sound was dated. Doesn't mean I don't recognize what they did for music at the time. But they don't do anything for me. If I was 10 years older probably different.
During the time I grew up, Pink Floyd was the hot band (shortly after The Wall when I discovered them) The Who were still around, and the Stones were still the Stones. I knew the Beatles as a bunch of solo acts minus Lennon (for obvious reasons).

Growing up there were other bands I held in higher regard (Radiohead, Tool, The Clash etc.) So there are a bunch of other bands that are higher on the list than The Beatles of what I'd rather listen to.

kingchuck69

Joker! Joker! Joker!
Oct 11, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
chuck69.com
I think the reason why I posted some of the stuff I posted (i.e. Fleetwood Mac, Doobies, etc.) was because I was forced to listen to it growing up. I was a hard rock/metal/alternative guy in the 90s and in northern Michigan, we had just two rock stations. And yes, they were corporate-sounding classic rockers. If Sirius was around when I was a teen.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I agree. I think movies are like that too.

I love the Beatles from Revolver on, but I don't understand their popularity when they started out.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
The 50's saw the exciting birth of Rock 'N Roll. After a few great years, by 1963 it had hit a lull. Elvis was in the military, Chuck Berry was in jail or something. Rock listeners were forced to endure hits by the likes of Fabian, Pat Boone, and Frankie Avalon. The country was in mourning after the JFK assassination.

That's the context of when the Beatles came along in the U.S. They were a charismatic bunch, and their early hits were full of excitement, and it was a new sound. The early songs were more complex than they sound, and more advanced than a lot of the other groups of the time. And they paved the way for all the groups that followed.

Or so I have read.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
We’ve just drifted apart. It’s really not because of them, it’s me.
I've got a few of them too. REO is probably the biggest one.
when you experience the music and how
Definitely. That late 70s/early 80s rock sound felt like 'old people' rock to me because I got hooked on hard rock with Def Lep, Quiet Riot, etc. And that's still how I associate most of it.
Or so I have read.
Are you referencing what I think you're referencing? If so, nice!!

This-is-Spinal-Tap-1.jpg

Reactions: HecticArt and Aaron

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Heard on radio this morning, they did a collection off of social media, bulletin boards, etc. on hated bands. They came up with a top 20. They didn't share the list however he did share that the #1 hated band was Nickelback. I agree with this assessment and couldn't help not think of @Wolf .

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Heard on radio this morning, they did a collection off of social media, bulletin boards, etc. on hated bands. They came up with a top 20. They didn't share the list however he did share that the #1 hated band was Nickelback. I agree with this assessment and couldn't help not think of @Wolf .
Maybe this will compel him to come back and defend his ensemble of crap.

• Haha
Reactions: IdRatherBeSkiing

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
Nickelback is on my most-hated list......... aside from a couple songs on their 2017 album Feed The Machine. I gotta give props when due, "Feed the Machine" and "The Betrayal (Act III)" are good tunes.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
"Rockstar" is really the only listenable one for me (and it's actually quite catchy), beyond that, no.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
She Drives Me Crazy-Fine Young Cannibals.

Anything from the lead singer of 10,000 Maniacs.

That I will Remember You song. Don’t know who it’s from. The ASPCA commercial ruined it for me, but I didn’t like it before then, anyhow.

More Than Words-Extreme.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Anything from the lead singer of 10,000 Maniacs.

That I will Remember You song. Don’t know who it’s from. The ASPCA commercial ruined it for me, but I didn’t like it before then, anyhow.
Two of my favorites, Natalie Merchant and Sarah McLachlan. I'm assuming burn-out?
Anything from Everclear.
I was waiting for someone to say this. They are a famously hated band by many. Must just rub people the wrong way.

Reactions: semipenguin

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
I was waiting for someone to say this. They are a famously hated band by many. Must just rub people the wrong way.
They’re ear worms. You even think of a song from them, and they get stuck in your head. They make you want to drive into a building.

The lead singer used to have a show on Lithium. I had to find something else to listen to when it was on. Then I went back to podcasts.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
These are my worst categories:

Human Fire Alarm type-singing voice: Celine Dion, Mariah Carey, Later Whitney Houston (although her early stuff I don't mind at all), Michael Bolton.

Cookie Monster Metal. The type where it sounds like it's being sung (more growled really) by the Cookie Monster after a few scotch whiskeys.

"Bad" Cover songs - Some covers I think are better than the original, then there are the ones that should have never seen the light of day (Tiffany's cover of "I think we're alone now" being a great example)

Country Rap - Seriously!?! - Huge fan of country and old-school rap from the golden years, but they do not go together.

Everclear I don't vehemently dislike, I just don't have any of their stuff in my collection. 'I will buy you a new life' and 'Santa Monica' are decent enough tunes, but I don't like the 'Daddy Issues' songs of which there are quite a few.

Reactions: HecticArt

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
These are my worst categories:

Human Fire Alarm type-singing voice: Celine Dion, Mariah Carey, Later Whitney Houston (although her early stuff I don't mind at all), Michael Bolton.
The singer from Nickelback has what I call a chainsaw voice, it's just unpleasant.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
Here are some fairly-obscure or mostly-forgotten (aside from SXM) songs that I despise:

Dweezil Zappa & Ozzy Osbourne "Staying Alive"
Eddie Murphy "Put Your Mouth On Me"
Grace Slick "Demolition Man"
Honeydrippers "Sea Of Love"
Inner Circle "Bad Boys"
Jordy "Dur Dur Detre Bebe" (#1 in five countries)
Limp Bizkit "Home Sweet Home"
Shnappi "Das Klein Krokodil" (#1 in seven countries)
Silverchair "Abuse Me"

Reactions: semipenguin